Swimming to Host Red & White Meet - (Red Wins)

The two-time American Athletic Conference Champion Houston Swimming & Diving team will preview its 2018 season with a Red & White meet Sept. 20 at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. The meet is set for a 3 p.m. start time.

“It was good to race again,” said Head Coach Ryan Wochomurka. “A lot of these kids haven’t raced since mid-July to early August, so it’s been six to 10 weeks for some. We’ve been training well and we’ve been training a lot. Early season swimming is not conducive to fast swimming and we’re setting the ground work for where we need to be come November, February and March. With that being said, I saw a lot of exciting things and a couple of areas where we could be a little bit better and clean it up. That’s the purpose of this meet, to figure out things that we need to address, clean-up and get prepared for a week from Saturday for our first meet. It gives us a good idea of lineups for those first couple of meets as well. I’m very encouraged and saw a lot of exciting things. I’m ready to race for real next Saturday.”
_ _
The Cougars return 13 all-conference selections from last season and two of the three athletes that qualified for the 2018 NCAA Championships. The Cougars also showcased their five-person group of diving personnel. Houston welcomed three new divers to the 2018 squad and returned 2018 American 3-Meter champion Lauren Burrell and junior Claire Liptak.