T-Minus 3 Days

TBD… But what I saw in Italy, we look scary…

I agree, it’s going to be hard to replace the shooting and leadership from last year. Still a lot of unknowns with this group.

We looked good, but we also didn’t play very good teams. It’s to be determined how good we’re actually going to be as a team, and I don’t expect us to win 34 games again. We lost a lot of senior leadership, and while the ceiling is higher for the team as a result of all the talent, the consistency is probably going to drop because the team is less experienced.

i think we’ll have a worse record but a better quality team…

1 Like

I think this team is built better for March but I definitely agree the record will be worse. Curious to see how different the offense is this year.

1 Like

That’s about in line with my expectations, but I don’t want to undersell how good last year’s team was before this year’s team even plays a game. I’m thinking this year’s team takes a little bit of time to really gel, so it’s probably good that our schedule is backloaded in difficulty. We’re probably going to see many more stupid mistakes, especially on defense, as the players learn how to incorporate our defensive principles into game situations.

Penny just said he knows they’re gonna win the title this year…

And that means absolutely nothing until we get on the court and prove it…some of coach Guy V’s most talented teams never made it past the first round…and he was a pretty fair coach…

No one is under selling nothing lol. Thanks pesik.

Sampson is a better coach than Guy V, tho.

I think you may very well be right about that. I do think that Sampson ends up in the college hoops HOF much quicker than did Lewis.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not…let’s see how this works out…Guy went five final fours and put out three of the top 50 players…not saying Sampson can’t make great accomplishments here, and I hope he does, but Guy was around his entire career and battled a lot of obstacles, especially with in state schools.
My point was that just because we have talent doesn’t mean anything at this point…but what I like about it as a Coog fan is that at least we have a puncher’s chance to make a final four.
While our talent is excellent and so much better than previous years, if you look around there are plenty of big time programs with higher rated recruits than ours.
Which also means nothing unless those more talented teams produce in prime time.
I am tickled to death with our program, but I think it to be a stretch to call Sampson better than Lewis at this time. But once again, I hope we build a monument one day of Sampson right next to Guy…

4 Likes

My view is that Lewis built the BB program at UH over a 30 year period fighting many obstacles along the way, most notably, not being located in the Northeast !!

Sampson resurrected the BB program at UH after several administrations let it waste away by neglect.

Both accomplishments were/are significant.

5 Likes

Never really had a home court until Hofheinz was built, although we did practice and played a hand full of games at old Jeppesen Field house on campus.
Otherwise we played mainly at Delmar Field House, which mainly was home to HISD teams, while also playing some of bigger games at the Sam Houston Coliseum.
Agreed that Sampson took over during stressful times following the episode of Dickey, who recruited well but just couldn’t coach anymore.
Sampson started from scratch and has built this program back to respectability in a rather short time period. Guys like House, Thomas were fools for not playing for him… Like I said, I am ready for some basketball…Go Coogs…

1 Like

He went to five final fours…2 with Elvin and 3 with PSJ.

Two with E and three with PSJ.

Thank you, I agree :pray:

Hopefully the committee doesn’t screw him around like they did Guy V. And I am not sure what I was thinking when I said four final fours, lol…five it was…not bad at all…Lewis started our great tradition and coach Sampson has revived it in a special way…

3 Likes

First day of practice so we are getting closer to the season!

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/joseph_duarte/status/1180157669191094272?s=21

Come on already!!!