Temple hires Manny Diaz

Interesting hire - another coach with a defensive background.

1 Like

They should have hired Orlando!

1 Like

We should have, also…

3 Likes

Maybe there is a reason Orlando didn’t get hired here or Temple?

They should have hired NoD!

1 Like

Why. Diaz proven coach at many stops. Don’t even think Orlando interviewed. Don’t believe everything you read on here. Have close friend who is UT grad and pretty close to Football program and he doesn’t have any knowledge that he interviewed for Temple job.

Great hire. The kind of hire we need to go back to after this current coach.

2 Likes

I am going to need a 3rd poster with “inside” sources to break the tie…

1 Like

This guy has been fired as DC in multiple stops.

I think Orlando recommended him.

1 Like

Oh no…

Diaz was a total failure at UT. If I remember right, Mack Brown fired him before October in 2013.

1 Like

My insider source (wikipedia) has nothing about him interviewing at Temple.

2 Likes

Well two things …

Temple has hired a retread has-been DC who hasn’t exactly set the world on fire … even at Miami a team who just can’t seem to overcome a dominant Clemson team in the ACC.

Secondly if Orlando did interview with the owls then maybe his interview skills DO NEED some improvement if he can’t out talk a loser like Manny … the orangebloods were hoping … but … it seems they will need to get out their pitchfolks and torches again for another go at Todd …

Miami is #7 nationally in Defensive S&P+ and elite or very good in pretty much any stat (advanced or standard) by which a defense is measured. Miami is atrocious offensively, which has nothing to do with the defense Diaz coordinates.

Diaz was also very good at Louisiana Tech, Mississippi State (twice) and Middle Tennessee State. He succeeded 4 different times and failed once at a period of cow college football that was dysfunctional enough it eventually got an extremely successful coach forced into retirement.

Most people would let your stupid post slide without fact checking it Dave, but I’m not most people. Do better.

1 Like

Unless he has an identical twin, Todd Orlando was definitely in the Airport Marriott in Philadelphia Tuesday. I ASSUME he was here to interview. Maybe he did and didn’t get the job. Maybe he was too late in the process and the decision was already made to hire Diaz. Or, he was here for some other reason wearing a suit and tie. Don’t know.

2 Likes

Maybe if he had coached the cornerbacks to play ten yards off the line, they would’ve been able to run a higher tempo offense? I could be mixing that up.

1 Like

Diaz was an excellent head coach at FIU and was fired only for losing a power struggle with the AD. I’m glad for him and for the conference that he’s a head coach again.

You are correct. Diaz has had decidedly mixed results as a DC. His last two years in Miami are a perfect representation of the highs and lows of his career. The defense basically carried the team in 2017 but in 2018, not so much.

They aren’t even in Clemson’s division of the ACC. They’ve been struggling to get past UNC-CHeat, Pitt, GT, and VT.