Tennis Travels to Play Long Beach State (W 4-0) & SDSU (W 4-0)

ABOUT THE BEACH
Long Beach welcomes Houston on Thursday with a 8-2 record, falling to the Cal State Fullerton in their last match, 3-4. Freshman Wiktoria Rutkwoska leads the team at Flight 1, holding a 7-4 singles record and 6-4 in doubles.

The Cougars were quick to take the lead in doubles, winning the matches at Flights 2 and 3, clinching to earn the first point of the day. Sophomore Ndindi Ndunda and freshman Sophie Gerits defeated Lalita Devarakonda and Natalia Munoz on Court 2, 6-2, while junior Phonexay Chitdara and freshman Jovana Vukovic took care of business on Court 3, winning 6-3.

Rolling into singles, the points earned for the Cougars were on Courts 2, 4 and 6. Mimi Kendall-Woseley defeated Emma Bardet, 6-4, 6-3 at Flight 6. Minutes later, Vukovic and Chitdara snatched their respective matches at Flights 4 and 5 to win the match of the day. Houston prepares to take on the Aztects at 2 p.m. on Friday, March 15th, in San Diego, California.

ABOUT THE AZTECS
San Diego State hosts Houston on Friday with a 8-6 record, defeating Quinnipac in their last match, 4-0. Freshman Shakhnoza Khatamova leads the team at Flight 1.

Impressive…Coogs head out West and sweep both teams.

Tennis Match Results
Houston vs San Diego State
3/15/19 at Houston, TX
Houston 4, SDSU 0

Doubles Competition
1. Mimi Kendall-Woseley/Elena Tairyan (HOU) def. Nnena Nadozie / Alicia Melosch (SDSU) 7-6 (8-6)
2. Sophie Gerits/Ndindi Ndunda (HOU) def. Mia Smith /Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) 6-4
3. Shakhnoza Khatamova / Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) vs. Phonexay Chitdara/Jovana Vukovic (HOU) 5-6, unfinished

Singles Competition
1. Ndindi Ndunda (HOU) def. Shakhnoza Khatamova (SDSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
2. Mia Smith (SDSU) vs. Mimi Kendall-Woseley (HOU) 6-3, 6-5, unfinished
3. Nnena Nadozie (SDSU) vs. Sophie Gerits (HOU) 7-5, 4-1, unfinished
4. Jovana Vukovic (HOU) def. Alicia Melosch (SDSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Abbie Mulbarger (SDSU) vs. Elena Tairyan (HOU) 7-6 (8-6), 3-2, unfinished
6. Steph. Belovukovic (HOU) def. Agustina Rimoldi (SDSU) 7-5, 6-2

I thought that maybe they would be good this year but they are playing great this past month. I thought the new players they recruited would take a year to acclimate. The returning and the new players have really impressed. Hope they can keep it up.

1 Like

They actually have no returning players from last year as the last one left prior to the spring.

They’ve done well, though. Once coach starts recruiting, I think she’s going to have a lot of success.

Thanks I didn’t know that. I thought I remembered them landing a couple of good players. But then again I turned 59 the other day so I’m using that as my excuse for maybe getting confused. That’s my story and hoping I can remember this story tomorrow. Lol

1 Like