Texas and Alabama sign home and home/ Bama gets $6 million to play USC in Arlington in 2020

I don’t think playing UH is going to open the Houston recruiting market to many people. If you are currently recruiting Houston, your best course of action is to act like UH doesn’t exist. There are a few schools that would benefit from playing UH very regularly. A loss to UH wouldn’t be devastating and constantly having your name in this market would help. Also it would help show the local recruits how well their fan base travels.

BYU
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Syracuse (that is a little bit of a stretch)
Boston College (that is a little bit of a stretch)
Colorado

everyone else has defined recruiting markets or they are already here.

1 Like

Looks like Bama was looking for a series that would be a set of guaranteed wins. Good for them.

3 Likes

I count 11 FBS schools in Texas. A law requiring them to play each other would be a de facto reconstitution of the Southwest Conference.

UH
Texas State
Rice
ATM
UT
UTSA
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
UTEP
BU

Now that I listed them, it’s not a bad looking football conference.

1 Like

ut is still in it !!

If and when the money bubble completely busts that is a good conference.

What’s wrong with our pounding their faces every year?

Not sure your age…but you cannot win against them. I ain’t talking about on the field !!

Why do you think Nebraska, Colorado, Missouri and a$m are not in the big12-2 any more.

Those schools have more clout than UH. They got tired of being screwed !!

I learned this way back in 1968 !!

Forgettaboutit !

2 Likes

Nothing at all wrong with that; only problem is that they will NOT play us! And there is a reason for that too - they are afraid they might lose, and to them that is just unacceptable.

3 Likes

It’s more than that. They lose games all the time. UT big wigs feel UH, in all respects, is below their dignity.

3 Likes

Indeed they do. And THAT is the reason they think any loss to us is unacceptable!

They must not count the other sports we compete head to in, like baseball and track.

Baseball, they’ve just started playing us again the last few years after a long layoff. Even then, they haven’t been willing to play us at Schroeder Park yet.

Track is a bit different in that schools don’t really compete against each other too often. We usually only face UT runners at the Texas Relays or the Texas Invitational, both usually don’t keep team scores. They won’t come to our meets at UH.

They refuse to play us in Football or Basketball because we refuse to do anything less than a one-for-one with them in those sports. They want a 2-1 or even a 3-1 and we aren’t willing to do that with them. The only way we’d probably get a series against them is a deal like what we had with OU where we play the Advocare Kickoff against them at Reliant and then play a game in Austin later on. Even then, I doubt it happens as they won’t want to risk a loss to us; OU AD even mentioned that they wouldn’t have played us if they had known we’d be that good.

I think we’re being too prideful. If LSU or Alabama or even Ole Miss offered us a 2-1 deal I’d take it and say thank you. Proving your mettle on the road is more satisfying anyways.

Maybe a 2 -1 deal with Alabama but not LSU or U Miss. The 2 - 1 series would pretty much be limited to Alabama and Clemson, maybe Ohio St.

This is great point that both of you have suggested. In effect passing this law would re-create the Southwest Conference.

Screw the whorns - and the old mare they rode in on; when they show us a little respect, get back to me. Meanwhile - screw them; let them go peddle their kettle of fish, and we will peddle ours!

Oh - and that goes for the aggies too.

3 Likes

Can’t agree more. I’d prefer to go out on our own and get away from Horn and Aggie.

4 Likes

That’s why we gotta get an NY6 every year

Blue blood P5’s aren’t gonna schedule us anymore

2 Likes

Looks better to lose to bama than to lose to UCF

True dat. To me statements like this are a real blackeye on the CFP sham. The so-called P5 elites are looking to fill their ooc schedule with mostly patsies, maybe an occasional marquee ooc with the money is huge.

Meanwhile, teams like UH are begging for match-ups with them.

So frustrating.

1 Like