Texas Monthly says get UH in the big12

You’re coming in loud and clear.

:sunglasses:

lima charlie

I’ve been around for awhile and I never post but I just really want to put this out there. I don’t mean to offend, but I always see these references to the “small 12”, the “big 12-4+2”, the “whorns”. It’s just so cringeworthy. What does one get out of this? Honestly just want to know. UH has got a great thing going here both athletically and academically. Why not stay classy? I’m vintage 1992 so I know how things have changed. I would have thought you just focus on what you have for the future. Sure some of the other sites refer to “coog high” but really not so much these days if you read them.

3 Likes

Umm… forum is like a week old :slight_smile:

Well not really. It’s been around for awhile under scout.

Amen!

How can you focus on the future when you know that belonging to a P5 is critical to a Div I program? We are heading toward a “super conference” format. When this happens we better be a P5 member. If we want to have a football program in twenty years it better happens. Just imagine how many programs will shut down because the numbers won’t work anymore?
As long as uta keeps us out of the small12 I will keep referring it as the small12. You can call it what you like but uta keeping us out is your answer to your question.
Every day that passes is another insult to all of us UH alums, fans and Texas football fans. How does a uta fan explain our non-inclusion to a 92 years young UH fan? He/she can’t. Wait they can. Yes, they can with disdain toward us. That’s what uta is all about.
When we do get invited I will change my choice of words. I hope that I answered your question.

The smiley face denotes that it was a bit sarcastic…

:slight_smile:

I’m with you there Npeter. If we do want in the Big12 we need to show them why they should want us, not why to hate us. And our people in charge are doing just that. We can get the opportunity to beat them on the field later.
They have the control now and we want in. So it does us no good to call them names or insults. Its like beating your wife and expecting her to love you. It won’t happen.

Stay classy, my friends!

You can’t be serious?
I have a pretty good sense of humor but this not funny friend

I would think we all agree with the challenges in the current landscape. I’m just of the opinion that UT is not really a road block these days. Obviously could be wrong seeing as I don’t have insider info or a psychic. Again, UH has got great things going on all around now. Not for nothing, but roll back a couple of decades and I’d have left us out as well. No real commitment to the athletic program. No meaningful fan base. No serious academics. No political clout. Say what you want about Baylor or Tech getting in back then but at least someone picked up the phone.

Fast forward to now and that’s all changed. UH has removed all, or almost all, of the issues that made UH, well the old UH. I think you understand what I mean by the old UH. This is what Dr K brought about and not about some “Sith Lord” in Austin changing their mind.

UT just wants what works for them. Just like we want what works for us. I don’t believe there’s some pent up ill will over a bleachergate or anything like that. We’re just simply a better candidate now then we were.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Your mind trick won’t work on us! Long live the rebellion!

1 Like

The longhorn media folks don’t want you to believe that ut is the road block. I’d say after Fertitta dropped the hammer on UT-Austin, their media spin folks kicked into high gear. They’ve done a good job of countering public sentiment it seems. They are still the roadblock will continue to be.

And that brings me back a bit to my original thoughts. Why is there a UT roadblock? TCU was in the wilderness for a long time. What did they do? Won a Rose Bowl and invested in their facilities and their fan base. They got in on their merits. Like what UH is doing now. Can’t blame UT for wanting a good quality member. Sure you can say Houston had a good past but that was really band aids on wounds compared to what is being built now.

1 Like

Well, Well,Well

I was with you up until the comment about Baylor and Tech. Neither one of them got into the Big 12 based upon merit. Using performance parameters UH would have been a vastly superior candidate. And all you have to do is look at how Baylor actually performed after being admitted. Aside from the slimy behavior of coaches and athletes - can we call murder slimy - they were the floor mat of the conference for almost a decade. UH would have done much better than that.

Don’t overlook the pernicious way that UT intervened, as they have done on several occasions. They are not the benign entity you present. They have taken a number of malicious actions to undermine our program going back to our entrance into the SWC. I will admit that I am not comfortable with the name calling. I think it backfires and makes us look infantile. But I do understand it.

1 Like

Sorry if I was unclear but I didn’t mean to say Baylor or Tech got in on merit. I was just positing that they had folks in the right places make calls on their behalf when then Big 12 was formed - and we didn’t or couldn’t.

Can’t argue with that.

“they had folks in the right places make calls on their behalf” - like the Governor of Texas.

I agree, I don’t condone it but I understand it. Most importantly, I understand that UT is looking out for UT and anyone that thinks differently is new or forgetful.