Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt provides inside look on playoff process

Including this article here because of the response below.

Google Search Link: Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt provides inside look on playoff process - Google Search

Q: Is there room for more than four Texas schools in the Big 12?

A: Having gone through the process we went through as a league last year, we came out with the decision that we were best positioned at this time for the foreseeable future at 10 members. The state of Texas is a market that everybody has interest in. It continues to grow. Texas Tech is at almost 40,000 students now. That we have a law school and medical school on campus is a great point of pride. People are always asking how to penetrate the state of Texas. The Big 12 is comfortable now with the four schools that we have. We feel good about where we stand in the future. We are adding a conference championship game and believe we have the right approach for College Football Playoff inclusion. It will separate us from the other leagues, whose conference championship games don’t always have the two best teams playing. It’s positioning the Big 12 for the very best access to the College Football Playoff, and that is important.

They also talk about Texas Tech and Ole Miss playing in the Advocare Kickoff bowl next year in NRG. It’ll be interesting to see how it does attendance/ratings-wise, especially since UH is at Rice on that same date.

Tech and Ole Miss were both 5-7 last year. If they struggle again this year, that could be an ESPN2 game. We need to do our part and beat Texas Tech this year.

Ole Miss will play Advocare again in 2020, facing Baylor. That game was scheduled before the Baylor scandal, and before the Ole Miss NCAA investigation that led to the 5-7 record last year. Could be another terrible game.

Here are the TV ratings for the Advocare Kickoff:

Houston-OU = 5.713M
A&M-Az St = 2.471M
LSU-Wisc = 4.68M
Ok St-Miss St = 2.162M

3 Likes

Typical political answer. What he did not say. If we were to add Houston into the conference we would be at risk of making ourselves even more irrelevant in the conference picture. I wish someday, sooner than later another Power conference realizes the value of adding us. With the SEC inroads into the state with the addition of A&M, putting us into another Power conference would make it that much harder for Texas to get back to relevance and really damage the rest of the Big 12 conference. Cannot happen soon enough for me.

5 Likes

Let’s be blunt. We need to beat ttu by as big a margin as we can and that it should be our goal against every single member of the small12. We will have chance against them and Kansas. What about a “special” marketing campaign in the stands? They are our enemies and should be treated as such. They are impeding our sporting future. I will take a win by one point but his comments are another insult to everyone of us UH Alum or UH fans. There are not any other ways to answer to this.
All of the small12 member know what we are capable of IF AND HERE IS THE BIG IFgiven the chance. He could have easily answered with “We are fine right now and there are no plans for expansions that I know of” It is obvious that the small12 members have been told to respond to the press a certain way.

3 Likes

The Little 12 deciding to go with a conference championship game with only 10 members is still the dumbest decision they’ve made since now inviting us in. I’m going to laugh my arse off when the #2 team beats the #1 team and they go without a team in the playoffs yet again.

3 Likes

I have to admit I love the way he said Tech has almost 40,000 students. Meanwhile Houston has 43,500. This shows the stupidity of the Big 12, and frankly, every other conference. They are leaving out the third largest University in Texas and the one with the most football success over the last six years despite being at a huge disadvantage.

4 Likes

Tech may be in a “p 5” conference but their roster does not reflect the typical p5 roster archetype. Pair that with student population below UH’s enrollment and coming off of a 5-7 season…why do they feel so high and mighty? Tech is a joke and I hope we beat them by 3 touchdowns! Eat em’ up Coogs!

2 Likes

Especially if it is like a repeat of a game that they played a week or two before when the #2 team lost.

2 Likes

Are you sure it’s the Advocare game? Maybe they still have time to get out of it and let it happen at Baylor.

Are these local ratings or national?

Could they be any more of a joke? That confetence “playoff” just piles more wood on the fire. In the meanwhile UH needs to take care of business or we are the ones who will be irrelevant.

1 Like

he is interested only in short term thinking …he KNOWS OU and Texas are gone in 5 years, so there is no need to think long term…pretty clear to see…