Texas Tech Kickoff Time

Attendance is down but we haven’t played a single home game and the student section needed an additional 1000 tickets?

1 Like

The Temple championship game had an amazing crowd at 11am. Don’t see why this game would not garner the same interest. I see this even drawing neutral fans that like college football.

If you are comparing season ticket sales compared to last year when we had two home games against top 5 teams and scalpers bought over 5k season tickets, that is not a fair comparison. We have sold more season tickets than the 2015 season. Let’s see how the Rice attendance compares to the 30k we had for Tennessee Tech and the 35k we had for Texas State. Then you will know if the 11am start has affected the attendance.

2 Likes

I was not talking about our attendance but College and NFL games. There are a lot more empty seats it seems. Was it due to the Irma hurricane coverage? Maybe.

Ugh! That’s 5:00am here in Hawaii.

3 Likes

You live in Hawaii, your argument is invalid. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Funny, comparing a conference championship game to a game against Rice !

Man, that sucks!
Good thing caffeine can now be bought in a powder form. lol

Glass half-full right there. I read it as online / over the phone ticket sales are not brisk so let’s give the students a chance. Absolutely the right thing to do but I think UH only does this if they cannot sell the 1k tickets at face.

I still think UH is missing out by not having $10 or $20 GA ticket coupons in exchange for two canned food items to be donated to Hurricane Harvey (or even Hurricane Irma) relief efforts. We have two Houston teams playing so I think this would resonate with people locally.

3 Likes

So, when do we find out if the game will be on ABC or ESPN2? Obviously, for program exposure I prefer ABC.

https://twitter.com/uhcougars/status/909496036355436544

ABC coverage will probably look like this as an example. UH/Tech will be seen in most of the country while FSU/NCSt will be on east coast. Reverse mirror will be on ESPN2.

That would put us on ABC for the majority of the country. I can live with that.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/uhcougarfb/status/909564166385659904

3 Likes

I’m hoping so. Up here in Big10 country regional coverage doesn’t usually let us watch Texas teams.

The American Football account tweeted this earlier today:

TV update for 9/23: Texas Tech at @UHCougarFB will be on ABC with a reverse mirror on ESPN2 at noon ET/11 a.m. CT.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I get all the push-back about 11 A.M. start. Tailgating is fun and all but I don’t think it should be the reason for setting game times. I don’t know how the money works with TV revenue and all, but it seems if more people watch, we get more dough, right? So if we can pull more audience with 11 A.M. start than we could at 7 P.M when the marquee games come one, why wouldn’t we do it? Like an earlier poster implied, the party doesn’t have to end when the game starts.

All that being said, Let’s check the ratings afterwards to see how we fared compared to A&M vs ARK. That should draw a big audience at least in Greater Houston area.

1 Like

National/regional TV exposure is very important for UH to continue to build our brand and reputation. And for a non P5 program like UH, that means playing games at 11:00 am on Saturday or on Thursday evening.

Also while filling up TDECU stadium is important, tailgating is simply a means to an end in this regard.

2 Likes

Absolutely, as long as the TV exposure does not risk the health of the players. Not sure if I posted here or elsewhere my thoughts that UH should have sued AAC for last year’s schedule. 4 games in 19 days and 5 in 27 or 28 days is a real health and safety issue for the players. All in the name of exposure. Not enough time to recover and, imho, played a major factor in our losses to Navy and SMU.

Right, and SMU had a bye week before us.