The Astrodome

That’s just the thing though… I knew it wasn’t a demolish vote.

The rhetoric of demolition was a scare tactic designed as an “or else” type of situation. It proved to be a total miscalculation of how much Harris County voters care (at all) if it gets torn down.

1 Like

If they were going to tap into sentiment, they needed to pass something within the first few years of mothballing it. It’s been nearly two decades since it was hosting major events. It was condemned 13 years ago.

There is a generation of voters that’s never felt it as impressive. The youngest voters have only seen it as a condemned eyesore their entire life.

Time to tear it down. Honor the space in some way and move on.

1 Like

It’s exactly the reason why I chose to not vote for his re-election.

And yes, it wasn’t a straight “demolish vote” but I was aware that tax payer money would continue to pay for this structure.

Gotcha ! Agree that was a scare tactic to push across that proposal. I’ll support any reasonable proposal , and will accept demolition if that’s the parking lot that everyone wants.

Not a bad proposal either. I’m certainly no structual
engineer, but I’ve read the dome is a strong structure designed to withstand very high winds and is structurally sound. Hurricanes don’t faze it.

Just saw this new website seeking public input on Astrodome.

https://astrodomeconservancy.org/about/

Tear the sucker down.

1 Like

For what, another parking lot? Would hate to see the Astrodome suffer the same fate as Astroworld.

The structure is in good shape, we pay relatively little in annual maintenance, especially compared to the cost of demolition.

Why not let it sit a few more years until we find a suitable use? That said, the time has come to poop or get off the pot. I think we’re ready to poop.

3 Likes

I don’t have the exact numbers on me right now but I do believe it is pretty expensive for it to just sit there. It’s an eye sore. Parking would be fine. A park would be fine. whatever. I’m good with tearing it down. It’s time to move on from it. If they can tear down Yankee stadium, they can tear down the dome. Houstonians already voiced this opinion and they ignored it.

Some notable people on the board, including Welcome Wilson Sr, Ryan Soroka of 8th Wonder Brewery, and James Glassman, whose title is listed as “Houstorian”. Definitely a different approach than anything with the dome so far.

I have my own opinion of what should happen, but at this point I think we all just want whatever happens to go ahead and happen already.

I think we’ve had a few threads on the Dome and as before I’ll say I’d like to see them use the space for a Houston Sports Hall of Fame building and some much needed youth sports fields.

1 Like