The Athletic's plan to save college basketball NC schedules

https://theathletic.com/1980558/2020/08/10/college-basketball-nonconference-schedule-national-covid-19-coronavirus/

Kind of an interesting read. It requires a subscription so I’ll post the basics of the plan here. Basically the Athletic web site has a plan that would set up 44 bubbles around the country where men’s and women’s basketball teams would be staying in nearby hotels and playing basketball games at certain venues (so sort of like how the NBA is doing it). The city of Houston would host two pods and use the Toyota Center and Fertitta Center to host the games. I’m not sure which hotels they’re talking about but there are plenty in downtown Houston and near-by to choose from.

There would be 8 teams per pod (generally), six games per team, in a round-robin format (this plan is just for non-conference games only - they’re still assuming you can play conference games), so you’ll be avoiding conference matchups if possible, and off-days would be included in the schedule somehow.

The teams in Pod A would be Houston, Lamar, Louisiana, LSU, Rice, Stephen F. Austin, Texas A&M and UTSA. The teams in Pod B would be Houston Baptist, McNeese State, Northwestern State, Prairie View A&M, Sam Houston State, Southern University, Texas A&M Corpus Christi, Texas Southern and UT Rio Grande Valley.

Oh and I forgot to say earlier, they’d be playing the games during the long holiday breaks most colleges have set up this year (so basically games in December I guess?).

1 Like

What does the union think of this plan?

2 Likes

Wow so UT would have to play all their games out of the state of Texas. Sorry I don’t see that happening.