The bad, and the ugly - 2017 football attendance

Please stop calling it a metric. It’s no more a metric than saying it was 70 degrees two days ago, 65 degrees yesterday, 60 degrees today and someone concluding it must be getting close to winter.

1 Like

The metric is that UH has roughly 20k ardent fans and even that is inflated since many tickets purchased are extras. My group has about 4 more tickets than members, as an example.

The extrapolation is that people were not excited about applewhites football and declining attendance showed that.

The fact is that UH made money on only slightly more than half the capacity of the stadium. Add In lost concessions on those missing people and there’s a major financial problem afoot.

Briles will help with that but once he is gone we are back to applewhite.

If you believe it’s a metric, tell me if this was an increase or decrease from 2016? You are assuming winter is coming and you think you have a solution for something that may not be an actual problem. That’s my point.

The fact that we had 10K less in paid attendance in the last game vs the first is pretty nasty. The trends are pretty ugly during the year.

For all we know, that may be the same for every year and every team that loses three or more games.

Well, I think the losing is the problem but doubt it’s 3 losses that causes it.

It’s highly unlikely that it’s the same every year.

Highly unlikely based off of what? Until someone shows our 2016 numbers (without OU), then “highly unlikely” is just a guess in the dark.

I think it’s highly unlikely that our stadium was full of people that didn’t pay to get in during the end of the 2015 and 2016 seasons. That’s the only way the happens every season thing is true unless I misunderstood your point.

Lets have more morning games.
Lets have more parking further away from the stadium.
Lets not complete the AC in the bathrooms.
Lets keep the rude concession employees.
Lets keep raising prices.
Lets build a tent tailgate city that needs to be gone before the game starts.

fun fun fun

5 Likes

Right on Corinth !

Obviously winning cures 99% of problems but there was a whole discussion at the beginning of this season about how the experience has gone backwards. From the loss of RV lots to concessions. And people that mentioned how U of H should do better were lambasted

Having a better experience keeps the diehards

2 Likes

This board is consumed with attendance !

if the so called metric is we have 20,000 hard core fans then the metric is not only incorrect but STUPID…our attendance for Navy wasnt in the low 20s…it was 35, 737!!! We had between 35 and 40 thousand for Tech, Rice, Memphis and Navy…
its 2018, not 2002…theres nothing wrong with our attendance!

1 Like

You need to check the 2017 attendance numbers again.

There are apparently still posters blind to reality of UH attendance.

What still baffles me is why CMA hired Brian Johnson as offensive coordinator. What was the appeal?

Dak Prescott and the fact that he had been OC before

Apparently there are posters that don’t know the history of UH attendance. Like I said before, for all we know, these numbers are an improvement but people are making assumptions as if we have a history of great attendance.

I’m not sure sure those numbers are accurate. However I do agree that there was a drop off in attendance as the year went on. While I agree our performance was the main cause, I also think there was some other factors. Let’s not forget that despite our poor performance we were still in the hunt for the Western division until the last few weeks of the year.

I know that there were a lot of difficult times for people to make it to games, i.e. 11 AM starts. Before someone starts berating me about 11 AM starts, there are some people that have to work two jobs just so they can afford their tickets so please take that into consideration.

There were some times that we weren’t aware of the start time until a couple days before the game and that completely affected everybody’s ability to plan for the games. I clearly remember we were supposed to have a 3 PM start but instead it was switched to 11 AM and people on this board we’re having to scramble to get rid of their tickets to someone else because they couldn’t make it.

Lastly, even though Navy seems to arguably be our biggest rival so far it is still on a holiday weekend. Despite knowing that it’s during Thanksgiving week people still just can’t make the game because of family obligations.

But I agree as our stagnant performance persisted and was so Jekyl and Hyde through 3 quarterbacks motivation for people to show up dwindled and so did our attendance.

Lots of things contributed, but we didn’t win or entertain enough last year to overcome those things. Unfortunately, our home schedule didn’t interest many people.

Paid attendance is an NCAA term, which may not mean what you think it means. The NCAA Manual defines the term in Bylaw 20.9.9.3.1.2 Paid Attendance [FBS]. Students in attendance are counted.