The Bench: Major Applewhite talks attacking personnel matchups vs scheme - ESPN 97.5

Today on The Bench, UH head football coach Major Applewhite talks about the Cougars’ huge win over Arizona, the importance of player matchups as opposed to scheme, and looks ahead to this week’s game against Texas Tech.

Make sure you catch The Bench with John Granato and Lance Zierlein weekdays from 7-9am on ESPN 97.5 and SportsMap 94.1 radio. You can listen live or on demand with the ESPN 97.5 radio app.

I heard this interview and I immediately wondered: is Applewhite now a convert to the Briles’ methodology? Or if ever an OC again, would he go back to trying to make the defense play sideline-to-sideline vs. the vertical attack of Briles?

On “Houston Football Central” this week, Major actually said that Houston fans want and deserve to be entertained in an offense, so maybe he’s seen the light, or just hired a really bad OC last year.

3 Likes

I was very critical of Major last year but I give him lots of credit for bringing Briles in and revamping this offense. It is a thing of beauty. Go Coogs!

3 Likes