The College Football Playoff survey: 62 coaches' opinions

Thirty Power 5 coaches think the College Football Playoff should expand, with the most support coming from the Big Ten and Big 12, according to an ESPN.com survey this past offseason of 62 of the 65 head coaches. The survey included Notre Dame’s Brian Kelly, while three other coaches – LSU’s Ed Orgeron, Alabama’s Nick Saban and UCLA’s Chip Kelly – declined interviews through school spokespeople.

The coaches don’t have the power to change the system – that’s in the hands of the university presidents, 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick. The coaches, though, are the ones tasked with winning the CFP.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Would have thought the PAC-12 would have been in favor !

1 Like

I see they did not ask G5 coaches because it would have been 100% for expansion. Any G5 coach that doesn’t think the playoffs should be expanded, should be fired.

3 Likes

Most G5 coaches hope to land a P5 gig one day. They’re not going to piss off their hopeful future employers by protesting much.

1 Like

See this is where I don’t get how we (the AAC) weren’t able to structure in a way into the playoffs when at the negotiating table with ESPN.

AAC: hey now that you have our media broadcasting rights, and will play our games, do you think we can get into the playoffs now?

ESPN: no, but we’ll talk you guys up and say you’re JUST as good as SOME power 5 teams every time we broadcast your games. How’s that?

AAC: works for me.

Also AAC: wait a minute before I go, who made you guys in charge of who gets into the playoffs?

ESPN: Security!!!

7 Likes

What leverage does the AAC have with ESPN to make this happen? Do it or we will shop our inventory to NBC Sports or Fox Sports? I was surprised the AAC got what it did. Just wish this season would have happened during the negotiations.

2 Likes

I guess you forgot it’s all about money with the P5s. I don’t think the P5s want to give up any playoff money and ESPN does not want to push their partnership with the P5s too far.

1 Like

There has to be some value in the AAC. Maybe the other networks were just silent about their deal aspirations to see what the market would offer (i.e. an NFL or NBA free agent). Turns out ESPN jumped first, the rest were sitting there with their hands in their pockets and looking like their ice cream scoop just melted before they could eat it. lol

I don’t know. Most of it is Greek to me, but there has to be some value; especially that the AAC was whooping “P5” teams prior to this ESPN deal. If I were a Coog working for another network, I’d talk up the Coogs and down the P5 narrative to spite ESPN. It’s a win-win. When said deal is over, and Coogs aren’t in a P5 conference there will be leverage. Just threaten to walk.

1 Like

…unless you are Lane Kiffin.

Did you notice the ones against it? There are two names you can’t miss.
vhermin
and scumlin
That tells you where they stood all along.

I will add that the mullet Gundy impressed me greatly by his response. You can be sure his phone is ringing.

1 Like

Don’t understand how Vherman or any coaches in the big 10/pac 12/big 12 are against playoff expansion. You would think coaches from those conferences would like an expanded playoff.

1 Like

They are against expansion because it protects their ass from more criticism.

If it was expanded they would be under more pressure to prove they are not worthless because they still would not make it.

5 Likes

3 Likes

I would not mind seeing Clemson bumped from the CFP, if not
only because their conference is not top “P5”. When the AAC is
ranked higher than your conference, then we should have our
Champion in CFP.

Since I would like the CFP expanded asap, I want Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State and LSU in it. If the same teams keep making the CFP every year, the conferences left out and more people will demand it to be expanded.

1 Like

I feel like the B10 and SEC run the CFP so we need their conference left out (or at least only one from the SEC to get in)

Change happen when Bama gets mad.

2 Likes