THE CORRUPTION IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL RECRUITING

…IS vast and unbelievable. It will probably be ignored.

2 Likes

I hate to say it but if you have been around the AAU and HS scene this isn’t surprising. A lot of times it’s not the kids but the ppl around them looking to cash in. Also the elite kids are worth so much money that the money is going to go somewhere.

I think you are right about it being ignored or some smaller school will get punished.

“The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky theyre going to give Cleveland State another year of probation.” - Jerry Tarkanian

6 Likes

Where are the “SMU Style Death Penalty” to the Schools for playing hired labor…???

1 Like

The problem is the shoe companies are doing the paying but the also pay the schools. So the NCAA has a conflict of interest and basically look the other way. The fact Will Wade is still coaching is crazy.

3 Likes

I haven’t read it, but is this about Nike paying the big time recruits to go to a certain school and play there instead of the recruit wanting to go there. Not shocked.

I do think before it goes that far, Nike and schools like Duke, UK, Kansas etc… Bid against each other with Nike being the negotiator (middle man)

1 Like

The top kids are worth so much $$ to the programs/companies that its been happening for years now. We are finally getting details on how it works.

1 Like

I think they should get rid of the one and done now… There will still be cheating but at a lesser rate.

3 Likes

Agreed. Sounds like it’s going to end in a few years.

Yup. It makes sense.
There will be a small % of high schoolers who ruin their careers coming out early but that is far outweighed by the good.

True. Kids these days are playing year round already, they attend prep schools, have personal trainers and the NBA advisory committee should help HS seniors out if they’re going to get drafted or not. Kids are already being scouted by the time they are in Middle School religiously now.

I’ve known about this and have posted about it over many years. Even got some tin fold hat comments, etc.

So, refute this quote from the article:

… an acknowledgement by a top NIKE executive that “the perception and resulting reality is that we dictate where players go to school.”

Most AAU pimps were rewarded handsomely to provide the product or human resource to mostly P5 schools wearing the swish or the Adidias, or another shoe company logo.

The NCAA lost any control over the P5’s to the media and the shoe companies decades ago. It has taken the FBI to expose the corruption.

Sorry for all those BB fans who for years asked why UH could not get the players that UT, Kentucky, LSU, Duke, North Carolina, etc. Not many BB ho’s could refuse upwards of 100k and if they could, can you imagine the pressure at home.

So, next time someone posts about FB P5 cartels and the greed of P5 teams. Remember, they are not calling the shots either. It is the media, shoe/uniform companies, and advertisers that say what time a game is played, who is allowed in what P5 conference and who is not. The media created the P5 brand for sale to the advertisers which created the great financial gulf between the P5 and the G5 conferences. It does not matter that a North Texas can embarrass Arkansas in Arkansas or Troy can defeat LSU before over 100,000 worshipers of the tiger. The marketing will be that the players did not want to play, etc. Protect the illusion of extreme superiority of the P5 brand whether it is true or not.

Hey, it’s business, very, very big business.

So, why are so many sheep growing a brain and independent thinking and attending fewer boring games like OU vs South Dakota St, or Alabama vs Western Carolina Catamounts. Yes there are zombie sheep who worship their god/college FB team. But more college educated fans are saying I am tired of this product that has been created by media, shoe companies, and advertisers. I will be extremely selective in what games I attend and who I do and do not watch on TV.

The only thing going for college BB is that a UH can still play in the tournament and reach the second round before losing to a Michigan/questionable calls, or play in the sweet 16 against Kentucky and … What will happen if they get fewer NIKE players and have to coach better to compete with the Sampson’s of the world?

3 Likes

Memphis did great in BB recruiting this year.
Memphis is a NIKE school.
Memphis HC is Penny Hardaway who has a NIKE Penny Hardaway shoe line.

Oh and in 2015 NIKE opened in Memphis the North American Logistics campus. This is the NIKE’s largest (2.8 million square feet) distribution center in the world and distributes footwear, apparel and equipment. NIKE and Jordan Brand are distributed from this facility.

Let’s see, the NIKE flagship school Oregon got one of the best HS BB players this year and Memphis got the #1 recruiting class.

Memphis defeated the Bahama National team 87-77. That national team had beaten Texas Tech a few days before.

Looks like NIKE has decided to work with building the Memphis brand. Fed Ex was small potatoes compared to NIKE.

2 Likes

Hmmm… smoke.

2022…that’s the year the one-and-done rule should end and hopefully improve college basketball.

3 Likes

As long as the NCAA continues to be toothless there will be other avenues for buying players. The NCAA has basically thrown in the towel. All the good work these days is being done by feds.

But they have tighter parameters and more specific guidelines to accommodate.

Be careful with that knife, it cuts both ways. Houston is a Nike school. Houston is currently #2 overall in 2020 recruiting rankings.

2 Likes

Watch it! We are as pure as Mary in a freshly fallen snow, holding a baby lamb. Just like everyone else of course.

7 Likes

I love the recruiting class but we havent signed anybody that requires payment. It’s usually the top 30 guys @ most or guys connected to a 5 star guy.

2 Likes

According to the article it’s a lot more than just the top 30 players. And it’s not the school paying players to come there, it’s Nike paying players and their families to play in their EYBL, then Nike sponsored CBB school, then take a Nike sponsorship if they go pro.

Not saying I know 100% but I don’t think that was the case for anybody in the recruiting class. Mark & Shead were 3 stars until they got a bump in the summer and Powell is a 3 star. Also the ranking will drop once other schools finish there class. It’s probably a top 20-25 class.