The elephant in the room

…is the continued huge financial disparities between the “haves” and have-nots" (P5 vs G5), regarding revenues. According to USA Today, we’re 59th nationally (7th among G5 programs), bringing in just over $55M for the past year, but have expenses of just over $57M.

And that’s with the University forking over just over $31M via student fee’s, etc. So basically the athletics dept made $26M but had expenses of $55M. How much longer can we sustain this? Am I reading the chart correctly? I’m not a business major, I can barely balance my own checkbook. lol

3 Likes

Well, we will have a little bump with the new AAC network deal, but yeah, this why UH leadership is going all in on getting into a P5 conference.

7 Likes

I think the future of our athletics programs depends on if we can gain entrance into a P5 conference. I mean how much longer can the University continue to provide such a huge assistance financially? The athletics dept has to do a better job at becoming more self sufficient. Sadly, I don’t know how they do this.

5 Likes

We are two (2) spots ahead of James Madison at 61…not good for us, or maybe the AAC should allow them in. They went from nothing financially 5 years ago to 61…

1 Like

The 7 million bump will help. If we win and sell out each game, that helps too.

5 Likes

It’s the same thing every G5 school is going to have to deal with if they don’t make P5 in the nearish future. And I think most will make that decision after the next TV contracts. UConn made the call early by bailing to the Big East.

But if a school is on the outside after this round of realignment. They won’t have much choice but to get as regional as possible and cut back hard. Because for everyone without P5 money the money spending is completely unsustainable.

4 Likes

Athletic deficits are worrisome when your losing in the major sports. We are not.

As long was our President, BOR and Tilman Fertitta are onboard, then we should not worry about the deficits. In the meantime, we should work towards winning at all sports levels which improves our national visibility, continue to lobby towards P5 membership and improve attendance in football and basketball.

8 Likes

That’s assuming none of it used to reduce the school subsidy. Also, I think it’s closer to a $4M bump.

4 Likes

We should also see a bump from basketball with season tickets almost sold out. Likely a 4-6k per game attendance bump from this period. Everything helps!

7 Likes

Just looking at the flat numbers - the ledger - does not tell the entire story. The athletics program brings attention (particularly media attention) to the University. When winning - and producing athletes that end up going pro, etc. - it also brings prestige and I’d argue even a certain amount of credibility to the University. How else do people in other parts of the country, or even other parts of the State of Texas, hear about University of Houston? There have been a number of high profile, national reach articles on the University this year alone because of athletics. The Sugar Bowl win several years ago, the Sweet 16 this year, stories in the national media / ESPN.com about Ed Oliver and Dana H. - to my view - these are all very positive for the University reputation and ultimately increase the value of a UH degree.

13 Likes

Just look at it as our advertising budget. You will notice most companies still advertise when they have a sales dip.

7 Likes

My unpopular-around-here opinion is that we should give JMU a real look. Virginia is an underrepresented state and so both they and ODU have a lot of upward potential, and while they’re not sitting on the solid market that ODU is they have a better foundation.

Not advocating we let them (or anybody) in, but I’m pretty sure I’d take them over all but a few G5 programs.

/soapbox

2 Likes

I’m going to conjecture that a lot of P5 schools also are in the red. So we’re aren’t alone. Unless you’re a big true blueblood, its hard to make money off your athletic program.

3 Likes

Let C-USA take JMU, not the AAC.

6 Likes

The problem with AAC as it exists is that we have too many private schools. If we consider anyone it should be public/state university.

1 Like

We’ve been broke since the last century. We’re like the US government. We live beyond our means but, somehow, we keep moving forward

I could care less about the money issues.

11 Likes

I think this is one reason UConn bailed. Their long term outlook for football was bleak. I think others will throw in the towel too in time. It’s hard to keep that deficit long term, more so when you are losing.

1 Like

Yes. Football as the “front porch” of the university makes sense for a lot of schools and UH in particular.

Yes. Any thoughts on how much $ a sold out game at the Fert (after expenses) makes for UH?

1 Like

This is probably how most P5 see UH. Let another P5 take UH, not Big 12/ACC/Pac12/SEC/Big10

It’s just how things are. We all think we are too superior to anyone who wants to join us.

I don’t care about JMU joining the AAC. My main concern is that UH is 4th in the AAC in revenue. That kinda makes our case for P5 membership weaker.

2 Likes

All the teams ahead of us in the AAC had winning seasons. It’s to be expected. If we were winning wed jump them. The uconn one I dont understand though.

2 Likes