The Great Divide

If they try to create a G5 playoff (ESPN’s wet dream), there will be litigation. I think that’s the only way to resolve the mess ESPN and Fox have created while the NCAA twiddled its thumbs. Break what would be a monopoly and collusion, and in Texas, go after the PUF

All you have to do is just expand it to 6 teams, 5 p5 conference winner and best G5 and have the 1 and 2 seeds receive a bye week, 3 and 4 seeds can have home field advantage for the first game and then bowl games from there on out.

1 Like

It ain’t about finding a true champion on the field…but rather attracting the maximum $$$$ from the playoff games so the networks can pay the P5 the massive amounts of money they have promised them in the bloated contracts !!!

SIMPLE economics !!

no network would ever agree with a G5 playoff

1 Like

Given the surge in online media and the amount of digital content available, I’d imagine the AAC could broadcast it. Isn’t there already an AAC Digital Network? Maybe they can create a streaming service like HBO Go, HULU, or Netflix. Although I’m against a G5 playoff, it can be done. But it won’t.

1 Like

What do you mean we are never going to be in a P5?? If you think change is not coming when P5 tv deals end around 2022 and 2023, then you dont have a CLUE…there is a REASON Big 12 didnt extend their GOR…OU and TEXAS are GONE, along with probably a couple of others…BIG and PAC are almost certainly going to make moves…Things are NOT going to stay the same…
posters who refuse to ever think anything good will EVER happen make this board unreadble sometimes… and claiming UH is supposed to accept G5 status is UNACCEPTABLE…

2 Likes

He didnt mean it in a negative way. Its just it doesnt make sense for P5 to add us. We are to dangerous to them. We should focus on making our brand and the rest of the AAC better than the others. More exciting games, fan experience and more people.

Easy, we just tell that we will be Kansas for a couple of years …NOT !

I sure politics would have played a part in keeping us out had we run the table last year. Or maybe not. ESPN was in love with CTH and therefore UH and maybe that love and the desire for a ‘Cinderella’ could have gotten us in. You just never know.

My real point is that we need a few years of total chaos in the CFP to get everyone clamoring for more teams. if bama misses the dance a couple times because they’re 5 or 6 they won’t take it quietly, I think.

And the Astros are never going to win a World Series. Oh…wait…

It can happen. Never say never.

The day they create a G5 league and UH is put in that league is the day I stop watching college football. Sorry but it is the same reason I cannot get into FCS playoff games. The best season is to be crowned the best mid major football team? It’s hard to invest $Ks of dollars each season for that. It would be like saying that the basketball team cannot be invited to The Dance and the best season would be NIT champs. I don’t think I would be in the minority either.

I disagree. College football will enter another realignment about 2023. UH needs to position itself as high as possible academically and athletically before then. UH needs to be more attractive than schools like TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Kansas State, etc. In about six years, there will be one more chance.

I root every year for the scenario that damages the CFP the most.

1 Like

If we are talking pure academics, UH will never reach TCU/Baylor type status. Plus they are both private schools.

We are still behind Texas Tech in rankings but I believe we will eventually catch up as enrollment has increased a lot the past few years.

Athletically? We are easily on par with all those schools… Pretty much in every sport…

Have you seen the recruits our basketball program has gotten recently?

The fact that we have equal athletic talent, if not better talent… is exactly why we didn’t get a b12 invite last year

You’re either vastly underestimating UH or vastly overestimating TCU and Baylor. They’re good schools, but their ranking isn’t unachievable for UH. They’re not CalTech or MIT. And that’s only considering undergraduate work – in terms of research output, Baylor and TCU trail far behind UH as is.

3 Likes

Agree. Neither TCU or Baylor is that good academically. Especially if you look at every field. They both have some departments wallowing in the 17th century.

1 Like

Excuse me but UH has higher research rankings than either Baylor or TCU. UH academic goal is to become an AAU member and we are making progress toward that every year.

3 Likes

I believe Tilman Fertitta will make it happen. The next realignment, UH will be in a P5 conference.

Which rankings? US News? That may be one of the only rankings that UH is behind Tech and that won’t last much longer as our grad rate is increasing. Otherwise, we beat Tech in most other prominent rankings that are published.

As far as Baylor/TCU, they really don’t matter as they have other limitations that will hurt them in the next round of realignment (Baylor - religious affiliation, rape, murder, etc; TCU - limited student body). Also, their academics aren’t something that are going to appeal to many others and both fall way behind in the research department

Have a look around. We already are. lol

1 Like