The history USA National Anthem and Sports

Did not know this history. But parallels to today’s world of America being on edge and divided during a WW and a global pandemic. But very different perspective from today’s USA world. Nice to know the history and how it came about with our sporting events.

1 Like

This is the kind of topic that will NEVER have a good end.

What is past is prologue.

I would use preventative measures and close it before it starts.

1 Like

For those of us who didn’t know the origination of the anthem, it’s educational to us. Thanks Snow.

2 Likes

You’re welcome Ron.

Come on Hotel, its our history. I certainly didn’t know how the anthem came about with our sporting events. It was used as a uniter in a divided country.

My relatives came over from Germany in 1909 and their focus, as was the position of Teddy Roosevelt, a recent president at the time was for immigrants to adopt America, learn the language, and produce and provide value to their new country. Its exactly what they did along with most immigrants and they went to war against their former home country. Interesting reference to the anti-German sentiment at the time and the division in the country towards WW I. No mention to the global pandemic but it was certainly here in far greater number of deaths per capita then with COVID.

We just spent several days talking about Gary Patterson and a far more senstivie subject than flag, anthem, sports. We should be able to handle this one along with learn a couple of things.

I have absolutely no problem with this thread and find it interesting myself. You may have notice that we frequently have folks around these parts who are on-edge in this day and age.

Since our moderators are keeping a close watch on all of our behaviors I just think we need to be extra cautious. Although your video posted was purely educational and proper a good meaning person could run away with it.

We need to stick to best automotive lubricants, salad dressing recipes, RV park pros and cons, and which Godfather movie I or II was best.

“While Americans root for different teams, we all root for our home land.” This is just as true today as it was in 1918. A lot of people are losing sight that the vast majority in the country are rooting for the US to be the best and are pushing for that in the way they think is proper.

3 Likes

It looks like the playing of the anthem has diverse origins. I was in the L.A. coliseum in 1948 for a Rams game and to the crowds’ surprise a contingent of soldiers marched out with the U.S. flag and a small band played the Star Spangled Banner. Comedian Bob Hope was a small percentage owner of the Rams and asked for it to be done. He was very patriotic and ultra conservative. The media loved it and gave Hope and the Rams credit for it. So it looks like it was happening in more places than one at the same time.

I agree Hotel!

There are plenty of increased sensivtivities these days.

Overall, this has been a FUBAR year almost for all. Tensions and stress has been high.

I hope so! But I don’t believe the majority of our current media will love it these days. A major difference between today and your example.

And just to be clear so there is no misunderstanding. I believe in standing straight and tall during the Nation Anthem. I believe in hand over heart and removal of hat.

I think the words should be taught in school, home and scout troop.

When celebrities sing the song at events they should sing in a dignified manner. Men wearing a shirt and tie. Women wearing appropriate professional clothing without anything hanging out.

And clapping should not take place until the end of the song not when the singer hits the high note on free.

Before Dallas Stars games during the national anthem, fans will yell “stars” the two times it comes up in the song. What are your feelings on that? Been happening for decades and never been brought up before here as offensive. Now one time me and my friends drove to Nashville (to watch Modano break the American born goal record) and did it there. We had multiple people try to fight us saying how disrespectful it was and we were a disgrace to the country.

it is a small stupidity. I don’t know if it rises to disrespect. I wouldn’t do it. As a former Assistant Scoutmaster I would not expect or accept a boy scout in uniform (or out of uniform) doing that.

That is because you are an outstanding Boy Scout. Rockets fans have done that for decades in support of the Rockets and the flag and anthem.

Either way, both are 10 times more respectful than taking a knee during the anthem.

What about holding a beer in your left hand with your right over your heart? Assuming it isn’t an imported beer.

Only if it is Schaefer:

1 Like

Such a New Yorker. Amazing you ended up at UH in the 80s. :laughing:

I did not know that is was a regional beer in those days. It was purchased by a midwest beer company and we drank it frequently in the dorms. It was available in Houston in the '80s

Now this is a NY beer:

I would say so!

Those sure put our beer commercials of today to shame.

One thing I wish we did more was sing the national anthem instead of just listening. Its always awesome to hear the whole arena of a Canadian NHL team sing their anthem.

That was nice!

They have a far easier song to sing than ours and a prettier song.

1 Like