The Houston vs Duke Matchup

Great job, as usual, @pesik.

Filipowski can be foul prone. I read a tweet that said to the effect “Filipowski is very good at fouling and making it look like a foul on the other guy.” UH needs to be more disciplined than they were against A&M.

1 Like

I had a dream, we gonna kick their ass. 82-46 Coogs go to the Elite 8

8 Likes

6 Likes

This is just speculation, but there was so much talk nationally (unaffiliated with either team) about the egregious number of foul calls in our aTm game that there may be some intentionality in the remaining games to let the teams just play. The tournament draws exponentially more eyeballs than regular season games and no one wants to see a ref show/free throw contest. Too many more games like UH v aTm will cause people to tune out and I guarantee you no one with a financial interest wants that.

3 Likes

If I’m reading this correctly, UNC, AZ, Bama, and Duke all live and die by the 3. Clemson weirdly lives by the long 2. Tennessee seems to also be the worst offensive team left

Tennessee is golden if you let them shoot from head on all game. they just pass it back and forth between there and the right corner three

1 Like

It’s going to be interesting to see how we match up with Dalton Knecht. I know we’ve seen him before and shut him down, but Northern Colorado’s supporting cast is just a tad different than Tennessee’s. I’m assuming Sharp would be on him, although we switch a lot.

1 Like

I think coaching needs to emphasized more. 99% of fans on this board are “in Sampson we trust” vs second year coach. Also JMU coach already had 1 foot out of the door, very sumlin-like, and probably could care less who won the game vs Duke.

Makes sense.

As others have said, I think you’re right in saying it’s a personnel thing. A&M had the quick guards to do that to us, sounds like Duke doesn’t

1 Like

Interesting . . .

1 Like

This is what I am afraid of. That they will just drive into the lane and get bs fouls called against us.

2 Likes

Man that 'Bama shot map is an analytics dream…geez. NOTHING basically in the mid range.

1 Like

not dissimilar to MU

IMO, Iowa St and A&M guards were willing to drive into traffic knowing things will get physical. Will Duke guards be willing to do the same? Will be interesting to see

Don’t think it’s really a matter if the player is “willing to drive into traffic” but more of IF the player can get into the paint. In order to do that yes the player has to be willing but they have to have the quickness and handles to do so. A&M guards had the quickness and used this to attack the paint also knowing they are an elite offensive rebounding team. Once our guards got into foul trouble this was even more of an advantage for the A&M guards.

Haven’t watched that much of Duke this yr but from the little I’ve seen their guards don’t have the quickness that A&M guards have. From that chart that Hill provided it looks like a big part of Duke’s game is getting really good looks from 3 from the right side of the perimeter. They’re getting these good looks from making good quick passes and not letting the ball get sticky.

I was more concerned about Aggie than I am about Duke. not sure if thats good or bad but thats just where im at.

3 Likes

Let me also say that Iowa St (primarily Lipsey) has the handles and quickness to get into the paint to wreak havoc. Lipsey is also really good at getting into the paint and kicking it out for good looks from 3 or dishing it off to a teammate when a defender slid over to try and stop him. Not every team has this.

1 Like

I’m more concerned about Duke because we already beat aggie

9 Likes