The new concession vendor is terrible

I asked for the discount on a tub of popcorn. The girl told me that my ticket wasn’t a season ticket because I didn’t have a card. I told her I didn’t get a card and she told me it was in my packet. I asked if she was calling me a liar and she gave me the discount. In my opinion, that was a lot of regretable dialogue for $1.25 savings.

I was already irritated that every line took 10-15 minutes minimum to get anything.

On my way home I stopped at a chevron to get gas and ran inside to grab some sodas. I was the 6th person in a line that included people buying lottery tickets and prepaying gas with cash, on top of lots of snack items. I was out of there in less time than it took to fill my tank - probably 3 minutes. I laughed to myself at the contrast of experiences.

7 Likes

I love how the Texans charge you once for a coke and then have refill stations. They got their $7 and are not trying to overdue the price gouging.

These are just some of the reason more people are watching it from home.

My clean bathroom. $8buys a lot of soda. $7 buys a lot of popcorn. Reviews are better. WiFi works. Ac keeps the temperature correct. Did not have to pay $20 to park and walk 2 miles. Can change the channel when it gets bad or during all the timeouts for the tv.

It is getting harder and harder to justify the expense of it all when this is the service that we get.

12 Likes

I echo these posts 100% - I could not believe the lines, the absolutely grossly under-staffed concessions. Whoever that vendor is - we ought to have UH Legal Dept writing a letter on MONDAY reminding them that whatever “contract” Pezman signed w/ them - it certainly must require some minimum level of service and performance requirement - which clearly is not being met (at least in my humble opinion)(as many have pointed out - the lines speak for themselves).

And I agree also with the post that point out- we were on a roll w/ the new stadium - the game day experience had become enjoyable on its own (i.e. people come even when we have .500 years) - this freaking administration is quickly killing that momentum.

10 Likes

I just checked in my season ticket book and there is a card that gets you discounts at concessions…it’s easy to miss…page #2

2 Likes

UH should demand their money back.

2 Likes

Thanks. Good to know. I’ll look for it for the next game.
Like I said… Regrettable dialogue.

1 Like

Regardless, their service sucked!!

3 Likes

I checked and I do have a card. But why in the world did I only get one card for my 4 tickets?

4 Likes

If you look at the options at the San Diego Padres stadium, you will see that TDECU is not getting anything near those options from this vendor. I remember a article on all these great options we would be getting. UH is getting scammed.

7 Likes

In the earlier period of my career I was a manager for at that time Aramark’s major competitor.

I have also have been reading about sub-standard food and service forever.

These deals are not set up as “Concessions” in the legal sense of that word. These deals are set up as “management contracts”

The client sets the conditions of the deal. It is the clients business.

A contractor could set up the place fit for a King or fit for a CoogFan it is all in the deal.

Well UH shoud be asking for similar offerings to what Aramark had but better quality and service. Why cant we just do what the Dynamo Stadium does and let different local restaurants be at every concession stand? Then all the vendor has to worry about is sodas, beer, and water.

4 Likes

Astros hitting sucks!!

2 Likes

Cool. Post of the day.

Can’t see a scenario where Tillman’s corporation wouldn’t be
great at the concession business. Maybe they will look at it.

It really is laughable that a school like UH w a great hospitality school cant even get hot dogs right at the games.

Not practical for this season but an idea.
At the Football/Hoop/Lax games at the Syracuse Carrier Dome.
They have “Turn-Key” concession stands that are staffed by local charities. For ex: The Elks Club.
They rock and the ones that dont are quickly given to another charity from a long waiting list.
Its @50% or more of the total concessions.

My step dad went to SU and he says most of the charities have held the same spots since it opened in 1980.

5 Likes

The in-stadium experience was rather lacking today. Besides the concessions (not trying to gloss over them, you all have covered it pretty well):

• The audio kept cutting out for those using it on the field (anthem singer, person doing the pregame chant, refs)
  • The person doing the chant had never done or heard the chant before. She tried to rifle through “Whose House?” As fast as she could and we had no time to respond. She then kept saying it over and over. Need to get people doing it that know the chant or train them.
  • The in-stadium announcer was not good. Our normal guy was over at Minute Maid and his backup was not available so they pulled somebody that really didn’t know what he was doing. He kept saying that somebody returning a kickoff was making a “fair catch” even though they returned it. He also had no clue on announcing “another Cougar…first down, screwed up the announcement of the 1959 team at halftime (for the 2nd straight year we’ve had our former greats standing there without much fanfare because the announcer can’t read a script), and generally seemed lost most of the game.
  • The DJ thing just isn’t working. No offense to him, he tries, but the students obviously don’t give two craps about him. Just takes away time from the band.
  • Students were no-shows today…that’s a problem. Even more of a problem when the band spends the 2nd half of their halftime performance trying to play to the student section and there’s more of them than students in the stands. Someone should have called an audible there and had them play to the home side crowd which was near full. Pretty embarrassing.
  • Other than that, it’s the little things. Now is the time to try to get those things right to get people to come out. If you can’t do the little things right, and you can’t win ballgames, you aren’t going to get fans in the stands.

I honestly expect the SMU crowd to be worse than today since it’s a Thursday night, possibly during a Houston World Series game (wake up Houston bats). If we lose to UCONN, we may draw less for that game then we do at Fertitta right now.

12 Likes

Sorry HCNY just venting. Tough day. Hopefully Case throws 3 TDS tomorrow

Today was definitely not a good showing. If that had been my first trip, I would not be that interested in coming back.

On the plus side, we finally got some flags up in the stadium (west side, next to the video board).

4 Likes

I noticed that and it took long enough. I have emailed two different ADs about flags missing and it took 6 years.

1 Like

Fewer beer vendors in the stands and they all seem to be thieves.

3 Likes

Chick Fil A ran out of sandwiches in the 2nd quarter. :man_facepalming::man_shrugging:

2 Likes