The PAC 12 in Bowl Games

That is why they want to add 2 to 4 teams at one time. Last time they tried it was UT, OU, OSU, and TT. OU said yes and UT (with the Bonghorn Network) said no, PAC told OU no deal. I am hoping that this time they invite UH, TT, K St, and Oklahoma St.

2 Likes

Well, KSt, OKst and TT will only be available if UT, KUand OU can leave them when moving to a new conference. Politically KU, UT and OU may actually support TT, KSt, and OKSt move to the PAC. UH would indeed turn be a natural fit.

The real danger lies in PAC taking UT, OU, TT, OKSt. That will leave just ACC as a possible P5 Home for UH. That it an extremely watered down Big 12.

The best option would be Big 12 expansion with UH, USF, UCF, and a 4th program like BYU, or Cincy/UConn.

Lucy (B12) has jerked away the football (B12 membership) 3 times while Charley Brown (UH) was trying to kick it (gain B12 membership.). Why would the 4th time be any different? Current thinking is that UT and Kansas, both AAU members will go to the BIG and that the SEC really wants OU. If OU is unable to leave OSU behind then the SEC will take both. At this point the B12 is as dead as the Big East as far as being a power conference.

3 Likes

The way their network is set up, even if they added UH there would be very little increase in revenue and viewers. Unless the pac 12 gets itself straightened out they’ll encounter the same problem in th central time zone trying to convince Comcast and time warner to carry their network. I’m definitely not switching to satellite or uverse

So the central time zone potential viewers would mainly remain that, potential.

Cable companies have a two tier system to pay for conference networks. Local networks such as the Bonghorn Network and the SEC network receive local network fees and the BIG and PAC networks receive out of area fees. The difference between the two is considerable and by adding UH to the PAC converts the PAC network from out of area to Local fees.

2 Likes

That’s the case with fox or ESPN aligned networks. The pac network is a failure because it can’t convince cable companies to carry it at all.

It is carried in Houston by Comcast.

2 Likes

And Uverse.

It is on Comcast in Tucson.

Tuscon is a home area for the PAC and will receive the higher fees. Houston is a non home area and they receive much lower fees from comcast in Houston. I believe that the non home fee is $.05 to $.10 per subscriber while the home area fees are in the range of $1.00 to $5.00.

It’s carried by Suddenlink

Oklahoma State would only be added to the PAC12 if they have to come with OU. If OU doesn’t come, OSU won’t be in the PAC12. They just aren’t a cultural fit with the conference.

Kansas State has no chance of being in the PAC12. Again, not a cultural fit with the conference. Iowa State would have a better chance, since they are AAU, but they aren’t really a cultural fit either.

PAC12 wants cultural fits (non agricultural research universities) first and eyeballs second. None of those three really fit the criteria.

1 Like

Out side of UT and OU there are not very many attractive candidates for the PAC. There is UH which is a major urban research university and then there is…

2 Likes

That’s long been the issue for the PAC…lack of attractive candidates.

They want OU and UT bad, which is why they haven’t made a move on anyone else, but the question is will either want to go west.

I was watching college football live today and I noticed one of the analysts mention that Washington is basically the only chance the pac 12 has at making the playoff this year. And if they lose to Auburn on saturday they’re most likely not gonna get in. My question is does/ should the pac start to Seriously consider expansion IF they are left out for the second year in a row?

2 Likes

The PAC 12 will likely consider expansion when their current TV deal is close to expiration. That means things should start to percolate around 3 or 4 years from now…Its a process…We have great relations with the PAC…You think its a coincidence that we have home and homes with Arizona, Utah, Colorado and WAsh St, when no one else in P5 wants to do it? Pez has recently stated he wishes to add U of California as an opponent. It is all going to come together, but people have to be patient…

3 Likes

What would expansion give them for chances to the playoffs ? Even if they added BYU this year the odds of the pac making the playoffs wouldn’t improve.

1 Like

Did the BIG expand to help their playoff chances? Did the SEC? Thats NOT why conferences expand…

4 Likes