The Story of the 1976 Houston Cougars

IN THR ARK GAME ELVIS BRADLEY GOT SOMETHING IN HIS EYE AND CAME
OFF THE FIELD, LEAVING US WITH ONLY 10 MEN AND NO ONE DEEP ON THE
RIGHT SIDE. ARK NOTICED AND THREW A LONG TD. WE WERE INSIDE THEIR
20 A BUNCH OF TIMES. WE SHOULD HAVE WON THAT GAME GOING AWAY.

1 Like

MY BIG MOMMENT IN 1976 WAS AT THE SMU GAME PLAYED AT THE
COTTON BOWL. THERE WAS A BIG SIGN AT THE TOP OF THE BOWL
SAYING "WE WILL BE BACK ON JAN 1ST 1977. AND WE WERE.

2 Likes

The youngest players on that team are now in their 60’s. We need another 1976 soon…

We need to get back in a P5 & kick everyone where the sun does not shine.

1 Like

My wife and I went with another couple to Austin for that '76 game. Got there early so the four of us went up the hill to schlotskies (sp?) While walking down the hill the four of us started doing the H O U S T O N chant, started low and got louder with each repeat. Female tsip in front of us turned around and told us in the typical tsip way what she thought of us. That was fun with the win. I do have to give props to UT because they did allow us onto the field to form a spirit line to start the game and at halftime.

1 Like

Coach V. The passes in 76 were to Eddie Foster and Robert Lavergne. Foster was a wide receiver who was switched to tight end. It was unfair to try and cover him with a safety.

Omg, I hope that is true about the red shirts. I wonder if our seniors would be willing to do that if we were about to move to a P4.

By what standard?

The best players in Texas stayed in the state. Thus the best conference.

Hmmm. I don’t follow that logic at all. Why didn’t any SWC teams win a national title after 1970 if the SWC was “the best conference”? I would describe the SWC overall as a fun, competitive conference. But its a stretch for me to believe it was “the best conference” no matter what time frame you look at.

What conference won the most national titles between 1970 and 1986?

The SWC, & Big 8 were really the best conferences. Top to bottom SWC was stronger. Big 8 was Nebraska & OU, SEC was Alabama, Big 10 was Ohio St

Notre Dame, Penn State & USC were really the other powerhouses

Because they beat each other all the time.

I think that would be the Big 8 with 4 (5 if you go by the AP poll).

Back in the 70’s, USC only had to beat UCLA and occasionally Washington in conference. (Yes they had Notre Dame). Alabama had very little in conference to worry about until Georgia emerged in the early 80’s. Ohio State had Michigan only and Michigan had Ohio State and Notre Dame only. OU had Texas and Nebraska and Nebraskas had OU only.

In the SWC you had Texas, Arkansas, Houston, A&M and Tech and Baylor were respectable. Going undefeated in the SWC was really hard.

From 1968 to 1985, Auburn finished ranked 15 out of 18 years including 7 times in the top 10 including 6 times in the top 5 with a national championship

If that’s not a team to worry about, te salud

This is what I’m talking about. Do your home work folks. People forget about the Bo Jacksons and Herschel Walkers.

There were less Teams; thus, less choices than we currently have. The talent is diluted today.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by less teams. USF and UCF are the only notable new schools I can think of. That is not enough to dilute the talent.

Compare Texas alone in the mid 90’s to today? 9 and an independent to 12 Schools today.