The Two Things Bedeviling Our Team This Season

I wish. If we win out we could be looking at a higher seed than that, but I think us doing so is very unlikely.

The three teams to make the NCAAT with losing conference schedules last year were Minnesota (9-11 B10), Ohio State (8-12 B10) and St. John’s (8-10 BE). St. John’s lost in their First Four game against Arizona State, but Minnesota and Ohio State both made the Round of 32. The Big10 proved last year that it was top to bottom the best basketball conference in the country with 8 teams making the tournament and all 8 making it to the Round of 32.

2 Likes

Didn’t know about St Johns, but the other one I knew about was Oklahoma.

None of them should have been in the tournament !

Saying their conference was somehow superior is a subjective call.

If they insist on putting these losing teams in( to fatten the paychecks to those conferences), then put them in as 16 seeds !!

2 Likes

I agree!

1 Like

Jarreau has been catching up and learning how to play since he arrived here. Even though not young in years he needed development physically, emotionally and mentally. He has come a long way in each area and continues to improve.
Comparing numbers means nothing. He could go somewhere else, play 35+ min per game and average over 7 assist a game but we don ask him to do that here and have 3 others handling the ball at times.

1 Like

Nate Hinton is definitely not part of the belittling!

https://twitter.com/UHCougarMBK/status/1226949351005618177?s=20

1 Like

Deeky had a solid game on Sunday and I commend him!

I also note that Sampson has coached the players how to get out of the full court press and how to get shots against a zone defense.

Fantastic progress in just a week or so. Congrats to the players for buying in!

6 Likes

We are 19 - 5 and had everything we needed to win 4 of the 5. While we don’t have a perfect team I think anything "belittling " this team is at a minimum.

1 Like

I would agree with 3 of 5 losses could easily been wins via 1 possession in ea game. Even though they somehow tied OkieST w abt 5 mins remaining, it was by far the worse game played of the year imo. Going to have those gms once or twice…it was bad all around game.

I’m still trying to understand the references to “belittling” in this thread. “Bedeviling” maybe?

3 Likes

Bedeviling. My bad

1 Like

It amazes me that no one seems the least bit interested in the disparity of fouls called in the Cincy game. They were slapping and elbowing our guys all game long. Our guys would turn to the refs who would stare back at them or yell “play on.” It was utterly ridiculous.

But here’s the answer. You see, Cincinnati plays a “physical” game. Other team just foul, often in frustration. I don’t doubt Jarreau was beyond frustrated at that point. Several of the players were. But that’s what happens when the refs lose their objectivity.

2 Likes

English major here. I am not sure “belittling” is what you mean to say. Perhaps you mean diminishing the teams effectiveness?

3 Likes

Mike that has been mentioned at nauseam in the game thread. I think the officiating was very crooked but we still played our role in giving them at that game.
We gave Tulsa the game.
We had BYU beaten before the official got in the act and very unfortunate bounce of the ball beat us at the buzzer.
OSU was on the ropes before they played out of character down the stretch and made shots. Their shooter made a 25 ft shot that put them over the hump.

1 Like

You hit a nerve with me as well. I see Deeky trying to see the whole floor and trying to have a plan. He is under more pressure this year to be a real point guard compared to last year. He created for others and himself last game. He also had a couple of nice runners!

2 Likes

“To bedevil, or not to belittle: That is the question.”

Shakespeare - Hamlet

2 Likes

A quote befitting of this thread.

1 Like