There's no excuse this season

The college ranks and the business of the game are very different now than when Yeoman was walking the sidelines. And UH was part of the major conferences then too so he was playing on the same fields as the UTs and A&Ms. I agree though that the days of successful coaches staying at one school their entire career are gone. And it is not just non P5s that have the problem.

2 Likes

Think positive. If he wins 10 games or more, he’ll get a contract extension.

2 Likes

My expectations haven’t changed. I want to see them get to the Memphis game with a chance to go to the Title game.

Barring a disaster of a season, I have a feeling Applewhite will still be here next year. I doubt LSU or Texas opens up, I can’t see Tech going after him if Kingsbury leaves so where else would he go
Kansas? There may be jobs opening up, but I’m not sure Applewhite would get the cream of the offers and I’m not sure he’d jump at the first P5 opening. Remember, even Horn coach didn’t leave after 2015

I still have a sinking feeling that if Horn coach struggles on offense again, and we do well, that they’ll offer Briles a ton of money.

2 Likes

After last season performance, especially with losses to both Tulsa and Tulane, am convinced that UH whiffed on HC hire like the 2012-2014 seasons. Briles may stem the bleeding, but the fundamental culture deficienciies are there. Hope am wrong-not much optimism here

3 Likes

You are wrong

1 Like

That’s your opinion but last year’s record supports his case.

And if he isn’t wrong then that’s a major problem for UH.

My fear is briles gets poached and we are left with cma and return to last year.

Regardless of how smart cma may be, he can’t learn the briles offense by watching it up close for just one season.

When you have some time look up the winningest college football coaches of all time and then go look at their individual career records. Very few did better than 7-4 regular season record their first full year as a head coach.

2 Likes

To me, this kind of coach questioning/criticism sounds a whole lot like what some folks were saying last year on the hoops board about CKS.

It’s kind of funny how fast it can go from “this coach has to go if he doesn’t improve dramatically” 
 to 
 “OMG, we’re gonna get poached again!” Bi-polar disorder comes to mind.

5 Likes

There is no excuse for not showing up. Let’s sold out every game. Give the silent treatment to scumlin with everybody turning their backs on him. What a message that would be. 40,000 fans turning their backs on the one that turned his back on us.

A mass exodus would be impressive as well. Delay the time of when the coogs come out so that we can get back to the seats.

Major hasn’t proven anything (good or bad) yet.

I support the Coogs no matter who the coach is. I hope its Major for a long time. I like the cut of his jib.

This has the potential to be a VERY special year. Arizona and Tech have to do their part though.

2 Likes

UH is in a way better situation now than when his dad left.

i can see the lsu job opening up. their fans and boosters will run oregeron out of town if he has another meh season. i doubt they will pursue Applewhite but if they did they can have him.

1 Like

Bite your tongue Alfred. Cma not going anywhere for the time being and that is a good thing.

Nick Saban 9-2 as
Urban Meyer 8-3
Bob Stoops 7-5 (improvement over 5-6 previous year)
Chris Petersen 13-9
Bear Bryant 6-2-1
Bo Schembecler 5-3-2
Dabo Swinney 9-5
Barry Switzer 10-0-1
Darrell Royal 6-4
Jimbo Fisher 10-4
Mark Richt 8-4
Etc

1 Like

Looks like more than a few

1 Like

I don’t wanna hear anymore of these “No excuses or CMA has to go” posts. The odds are neither will get our wish. BTW, are you held to the same standards to which you hold CMA? Also, do you hold all coaches to same standards?

Moncoog, you don’t know how many were in the “Etc” group.

It doesn’t matter. The criteria was a few. More than a few did better than the record set for the criteria.

Few is a relative term for most.