This is why we need to join the small12/BIG12

Mike I 100% understand your feeling about our existing contract but please read what I am about to write.
The small12 was run by the utau pimp…again there are no other ways to describe utau.
The AAC has been run by aresco since the demise of the BIG EAST.
The utau pimp and the rodent(mickey mouse/espn disney) are doing everything they can to have the small12 implode.
The SEC today voted unanimously to invite the utau pimp and okie to the SEC. atm did not vote no. What does this tell you?
What does this tell everyone and what does it say about the Texas college football future?

Tonight UH is invited by the small12 along with UCF.

What does it do? This is crucial friends.

#1It keeps the membership at the current status. It means that espn has to keep paying.
It throws a huge monkey wrench into their SEC expansion…for just a few years. The amount of the “small12” is dead was put in place for a reason. Money, money and yes you guessed it money.

#2 UH brings in a renewed local rivalries. It elevates the greater Houston players thinking twice about playing for either the utau pimp (That could not compete in the small12) or atm that can’t come close to compete in the SEC.

#3UCF brings a huge following; thus, local players, Florida players considering playing in the small 12. This is never good for the SEC & ACC.

Now I would like to add the following and please this is important.
aresco was front and center with the BIG EAST demise.
Why was aresco “kept” to become the AAC commissioner? He surely did not “earn it” In fact in any other entities, companies or corporations aresco would have been fired the same day the AAC started.
A few days ago we learn that aresco has been pursuing small12 teams.
What does it do to the small12?
It gives the small12 a death sentence…like the BIG EAST.
What else does it do?
The rodent does not have to pay the small12 exiting fee.
We know from our last TV deals that the rodent was ready to pay up a slightly bigger fee.
Does this mean we will get a bigger fee?
There is no guarantee but we know and it is a fact that aresco has deep ties to the rodent.
I find it highly unlikely that aresco could be part of TWO P5 conferences demise. This is not a coincidence. The likelihood of it is not mathematically possible.
Who is aresco really working for? This is a valid question.

The small12 gets us in and we immediately get a bigger fee. Remember the utau pimp is on the hook same for okie. What is our AAC exit fee? It can’t break our books.
This leaves the utau pimp and okie having to stay in the samll12 for a few years. Do you really think the utau pimp wants to parade around the small12 until 2025? The utau pimp like okie wants to get out of the small12 ASAP and so does the rodent.

Does this preclude us from talking to the PAC12? Absolutely not why should it be?
Now UH and UCF are in the small12. For sure attendance will soar vs playing in the AAC. Remember friends that Texas local rivalries are now renewed without the two main conscious objectors.

By adding UH and UCF to the small12 the rodent is now in “Uncharted territory” This is when the PAC12 comes calling when their “official” media contract comes up for renewal. By that time I have no doubt that our program will be winning and our BBall program will be frequently at the Final Four. In addition our academic standards keep going up.

The rodent and the utau pimp has been a thorn in our backside for decades. What a better way to get us Texas support all over the state. By then the utau pimp and atm will be completely irrelevant.

Please stop nobody is going to a dead conference without ESPN. Fox is not going to pay 30 million per team.

9 Likes

That is exatly what the rodent has been spewing through its networks, radio and satelite radio stations.
Nothing stops FOX, CBS or whomever from jumping in. The rodent wants you to believe that college football revolves around them. Nobody knows if other “culprits” will jump in. We have got nothing to lose but to join the small12. We will be playing against historical rivals. That in itself is key.
Again nothing precludes the PAC12 to invite us. At least the next few years will show the samll12 that we are nationally relevant.

finally someone who is waking up and realizing what espn is trying to do. ESPN is play the long term game, our ultimate destruction, and too many on here are happily cheering it on.

4 Likes

You got it.
The rodent’s aim if for an nfl minor league system consisting of different tiers like AAA and AA or A. The rodent is happy. He can cherish his stinky cheese while the nfl does not have to pay a cent.

1 Like

Call me cynical, but there is nothing that serves ESPN better than having Alabama play Clemson every single year in the championship game. They pay a lot of money for those products, and they will want to monetize them. And sadly, that’s what the casual fan with no school affiliation wants to see. I don’t think they are doing us favors to be kind, or to reward us for our loyalty. The bully never gives the toady an equal share of the lunch money.

A few of those schools would be really solid additions to the conference and we would get a bump in revenue, but that’s as far as it goes, I suspect. They certainly aren’t going to put us in the same tier as the flagship product they have put together.

They want to eliminate their fees owed to the B12 and steal market share from a competitor and consolidate the “best of the rest” under one banner. The moment they destroy the B12 is the moment they don’t need anything from us anymore.

They will continue to relegate us to their streaming platform now that they have increased SEC inventory to replace their B12 inventory. If they are crapping on the leftover 8 now, they will have no problem continuing to crap on them as soon as they are in our conference.

ESPN has spent the past quarter century destroying conferences and rebuilding them to their liking, driving competitors out of the market, and solidifying control of the entire postseason to control access, not just the BCS and subsequently the playoff, but nearly all of the lower bowls too. Why stop now?

To stretch a tired analogy a bit too far, cutting a deal with ESPN feels a bit like offering up the Sudetenland in exchange for “peace for our time.”

That’s not to say we won’t or shouldn’t ultimately do what they want . We may have no other option. But I don’t have any reason to believe that they will suddenly start elevating the AAC anymore than they are now.

5 Likes

I guess I have less of an issue with ESPN. To me they are a for profit company so they are going to do for profit things. Birds are going to fly, fish are going to swim, sharks are going to bite your leg off, that is just their nature.

Who I have a major problem with is all of these ADs and school administrators who are acting like for profit entities when they are not. They are funded by tax payers so all of their actions should be based on what is in the best interest of the tax payers not what is in the best interest of their athletic department. Sometimes they are the same but often times they are not. A government entity does not have retained earnings, they spend everything they make. So this whole acting in their athletic departments best interest mostly leads to not acting in the tax payers best interest and making more money that is spent on themselves (either on stupid facilities or even stupider salaries).

I blame the ADs and I blame the university administrators. They need to take a long hard look at themselves.

This notion that the colleges are acting like the premier soccer leagues did a few years back, is faulty on so many levels. Those professional soccer teams had the right to act in their best interest and maximize their revenue because it was their money at risk. That is not the case with universities. These people running these athletic departments have none of their own money at risk. They are playing with our money.

5 Likes

Agree and this is why we have to also look at it from two angles. That is financially and how it showcases UH the best way possible. The rodent has every right to go after all of the cheeses he wants but so do we. His path to the biggest cheeses has proven time and time again to go against our own interest.
Playing against teetech, the bayloroffenders, tcu, okie state regularly is surely more motivated for any students to attend games than our regular schedule.
I want to emphasize on the point of geographical and historical rivalry. This is what college football is all about. This sort of “reunification” brings both back. As much as I can’t stand these schools this is RIGHT NOW the better of two evils. Again with this reunification we limit the utau pimp and ATM’s influence in THEIR region. That is the last thing that the utau pimp and the rodent wants.
If we do happen to join the small12 this is like them telling us HOW DARE YOU. YOU CAN’T DO THAT. WE ARE GOING AFTER YOU…
They have gone after us since the demise of the SWC. What else is new?

1 Like

It can’t just be two teams to the B12. It’s possible they could lose 2 more at any moment.

They need 4 minimum and 6-8 preferably as soon as possible or they risk total collapse and UT/OU laughing to the bank as they keep their exit fees.

Combining the B12 leftovers and the best of the AAC makes for a pretty good football and basketball conference. Not close to B1G or SEC but better than the Pac12 and closer to the ACC than any P4/5 fan would like to admit.

1 Like

UH and UCF inclusion reinforces the Houston greater media market. Remember that atm is in the SEC.
UCF inclusion brings a not so distant WV partner and impedes into UF, FSU and UM.
Right now there are no indications that the BIG10, ACC or PAC12 inviting some small12 members. I have no doubt that the rodent is pushing these three P’s to invite a few of them. aresco works for the rodent. I now have no doubts about it. Adding small12 schools to the AAC kills the small12 then the rodent, utau and okie have to pay nothing. That is the end game friends.
A few months later when this eventually happens the AAC will be given a few crumbs. So what?
Nothing then will guarantee a cfp expansion. You are already reading about it left and right.

900 miles is not so distant? Cincinnati is the clear #1 for the Big 12 to expand. WV will want them so they can bus other sports to at least one conference member and they are arguably the best athletics program right now. Houston vs UCF for number 2 is a tough one.

Also, great post by Coog51.

Agree but 900 miles is still easier to get to then lubbock in the middle of Winter. The UCF florida addition is huge for the present and future.

I would think the logical thing is at least 4 with Cincy, UCF, UH, and Memphis. Kill the AAC and add two eastern time zone teams

3 Likes

AAC is not going to get killed they have the backing of ESPN. Big 12 has no contract after 2025.

3 Likes

The Big 12, if it survives, will be a G6 conference in money and performance. If the remainders decide to stay together and suck it up they will be comparable to the AAC in both money and competitiveness. At the G6 level the bar for moving up a notch isn’t very high. They can get two or four teams that don’t drag down a devalued Big 12. We were ecstatic to get $7 million versus the $4 million in C-USA. Moving to the Big 12 will be a step up for whoever they wind up offering.

They may even get a deal with ESPN. We just don’t know, but I’m thinking the remainders will stick together as this draws out. They get the exit fees and stumble along. That’s the smart play, though that doesn’t mean they’ll take it.

Not central to your point, but our TV deals were worth way less than $4m in Conference USA. I think it was on the order of $1.3m. And that was a decent deal at the time. We were getting a bit more than the MWC, which was a far superior conference.

The first AAC deal was worth about $2m, which was a let-down but for us still an improvement.

Exactly and it accomplishes a few crucial things:
It keeps the rodent paying the small12until 2025
It makes the utau pimp and okie to pay the toll exit fee to the small12
It renews historical and geographical rivalries. This is the last thing that the utau pin and atm want to see restarted.
This makes the rodent’s Florida territory compromised.
This is huge because UCF is a huge school in terms of students and its location. This area Florida area is exploding.
Lastly it showcases UH in its best sporting way possible for a PAC12 invite. Why? Simply because you will have a much bigger fans attendance when we play tcu, teetech, rapeu and okie state.

The big-10 media rights expire in 2023, pac-12 media rights expire in 2024. The conferences will have discussions and with the at least 2 leftover 8 schools in the big12 which will violate the conference’s withdrawal clause. They conference will not hold .

My best case is still to add 5 from the Big 12 to get to 16 teams. Just need 1 other team to land somewhere else. Maybe ESPN can strong arm the ACC into taking West Virginia. Let Baylor and Kansas St join CUSA.

Our division: KU, Iowa St, OK St, Tech, TCU, SMU, UH, Tulsa - some nice games every year

The main issue to stay in the AAC is that it favors the rodent. The rodent does not want to upset the utau pimp and okie. That works in a disadvantage for us. There are absolutely no guarantee that the rodent will open his bank account to offer us the money that we could make in the small12.

Joining the PAC12 imo is our only realistic path to rejoin a power conference. I was dead set against joining the small12 after witnessing the rodent’s driven power move and sleeping on it for a few nights I changed my opinion.

2 Likes