Ticket Count: Rice

Sothern Miss. because hump them mofos.

Students have claimed all 5000 seats. We are releasing an additional 1000 student seats.

9 Likes

Thereā€™s Memphis and Navy, but we have them so Iā€™ll go non- conference.
UTSA
ULL
La Tech
So. Miss
Colorado State
North Texas
Air Force
San Diego State
Most anyone else

Purely as a fan, I think if we are talking home and home G5 options I would be more picky.

1 Like

I love playing Rice, especially when we play at Rice Stadium, its just another ā€œhomeā€ game for us.

7 Likes

I like playing rice even if the results and attendance is one sided. The students love it too. I would love to even see a school like TxSt get on the schedule with UTSA on a regular rotation like in a 2:1 deal. They bring a decent amount of fans, especially TxSt and the road trip back is easy for us.

2 Likes

You folks donā€™t know the history with Rice.
They screw UH ever chance they get.

Only they benefit from a game with UH.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/uhpres/status/907631701492412416

Not sure if this is the 1k weā€™ve been talking about or an additional 1k

When ticket sales are slow I have no problem releasing more tickets to the students to get fannies in the seatsā€¦Go Coogsā€¦

4 Likes

Texas State
BYU
Air Force
UNLV
San Diego State

The list is pretty long honestly. There is very little advantage for us to play Rice.

Besides USC-UCLA, UH-Rice is the only other D1 intercity rivalry in the country

4 Likes

Since we play 8 non-P5 games each year, and maybe 9 with conference championship, why even schedule G5 teams for non-conference games? At least weā€™ve dropped FCS schools (for now) but if we ever want a shot at the playoff, we need all of our non-conference games against P5 teams and preferably ones that arenā€™t perennial bottom feeders in their conferences. Iā€™d rather be 9-3, 10-2 with that kind of schedule than run the table with what we have scheduled now and for the next few years. Georgia State? or is it Georgia Southern? What difference does it make? UTSA - who cares? Texas State, spare me. How about something like ND, Arkansas, TT, Iowa?

Or, maybe the AAC should go to 9 conference games and 3 non-conf. Still we need to fill non-conf schedule with P5 schools.

3 Likes

The problem is getting non-perennial bottom feeder P5 programs to agree to play us. Kudos to OU and TT, but I can guarantee you OU wonā€™t be scheduling us again after we play them next year. Louisville wonā€™t either. Thereā€™s too much for them to lose if they lose to a G5 program, even if that G5 is Houston.

I wish we could renew some in-state matchups with TCU, Baylor, UT and A&M. But theyā€™ll never schedule us because thereā€™s too much for them to lose in terms of loss of ranking and recruiting.

1 Like

BFD

I agree. A&M and UT wont happen. Baylor might as they get back to being irrelevant, but probably would want more likely wins. We should be jumping on TCU right now. They have not renewed their series with SMU yet and I think there is some bad blood where it may not. We would be perfect as they love to recruit Houston and have their schedule set up as P5, FCS, SMU. We can slide right into that slot where they used to play SMU.

2 Likes

After beating Arizona does 35,000 in attendance against Rice sound realistic?

It depends on whether both Rice fans are coming or not.

3 Likes

Miami v Florida international

I was watching the Arizona game and at the end of the pregame one of the announcers said, on air, If you are a P5 team. Houston is the one team you donā€™t want to play. I did not use quotes but it is pretty close to what he said.

4 Likes

HY may have to walk back his stance on 2 for 1 and no-FCS games if we really want to play blue blood programs from time to time. Itā€™s just the nature of the market. The blue blood programs have leverage over us and we have leverage over weaker G5 and FCS teams.

If we accepted a 2 for 1 with sayā€¦LSU. Then Iā€™d be perfectly fine scheduling SFA or Southern to come in on the years where we play in Baton Rouge. Ideally weā€™d get someone like UNT/LaTech to agree to a 2-1 to balance it out.

Assuming HY wonā€™t walk it backā€¦I think the best you can hope for is:
Rice
"Local" G5
Mid-Level P5
Bottom Run P5 or Distant G5

4 Likes