To Moderators: concerning politics

I can live without and will do so even if such a forum is opened. No one is going to change another’s mind and it isn’t worth having hate spewed all over fellow Coogs

2 Likes

I’m with Butch on that – especially during this particular presidential campaign where there is so much passion on both sides. No one changes anyone’s mind, they just dig in deeper and people get angry at what were previously board friends. Nope, don’t need it.

1 Like

I never posted on that site but would read for comical purposes. There was a noncoog guy claiming to be a Doctor that spewed major hatred that caused a lot of division. I say no way on politics board. We dont need to repeat whats failed!

1 Like

He still posts on this board occasionally. I thought he was a Coog.

And that guy wasn’t even the worst of the “non-coogs.”

There was a certain Rice fan who was a particularly big problem. He seemed to think that it was perfectly OK to personally attack anyone that dared to think independently and express an opinion different from his own; he even condoned cyberstalking at one point.

Without those two, I’m sure the Politics board would have been/would still be just fine.

Ultraman?

I guess it depends on your point of view.

That said, glad the political.board is not here.

1 Like

I was on the opposite side as Ultra for years. He was a tough SoB, he made you think. If you posted something stupid he made you pay for it. LoL!

He was a bit of an attack artist all the time. Sometimes one may want to just explore something openly and explore it frim a relaxed perspective and not have to defend it to the nth degree. Ultra was more looking for an in-depth argument to the death type of thing. He seemed to take it pretty seriously.

But he was or is a good guy. I wouldn’t have minded getting ti know him outside the ring of the political board.

He visited the Satellite today with lots of stats for the Coronavirus.

I spent the 2 Bush admins, both Obama admins and the first year of the Trump admin on that sticken board. I do not recommend it to anyone. The country is too divided, UH is pretty diverse which will make the UH board more divided. It only adds to more divisiveness. The country doesn’t need that crap. I was very addicted to it and I am not an addictive person. Take my advice and don’t go there. Its a waist of your time and will only make a UH sports community worse and not better.

The nature of that board probably made most posters sound more hard core than they actually are. It made people think more or retreat too a black vs white perspective and be far more defensive. The world is far more gray than it is black and white.

I would bet good money that Portland would never support that idea.

1 Like

Fight club! I like it!

No way I’d want to have to moderate that disaster. I’ve seen life-long friendships ruined recently over the current toxic state of affairs…I’d keep it to sports so we can argue over what we love not what we hate

2 Likes

There is politics and there is polemics. One is a problem while the other shouldn’t be.

Some people have a Pavlovian reaction to the mere mention of the word politics with or without polemics. Some people just don’t like hearing an opinion different from theirs. Some people just can’t stay on topic and switch the subject from whatever it was to a personal attack.

I’ve said this a million times, the problem isn’t politics. The problem is insults and immaturity.

3 Likes

And the baiting that leads to the insults

1 Like

Yes and that happens with any subject from conference expansion to starting quarterbacks to RV parking on Game Day.

We don’t prohibit discussion on those subjects. We close the threads when they get out of hand.

1 Like

Hi Manny:

Appreciate your kind and thoughtful request.

It’s not going to happen. Members don’t have visibility to the behind the scenes management of members and posts. A politics board is moderation nightmare, moderation is all volunteer and politics makes it 10x more time consuming.

And the moment you delete something on a politics board, then the moderators get hate mail because someone got their post deleted.

A politics board doesn’t really support the core mission of this site, which is to support UH Athletics and tangentially related UH subjects. The politics board we had on the old site rarely changed anyone’s mind, and it became a mud-slinging insult-fest and a contest on who can zing whom the best.

When we had a politics board, as Fireman says, was toxic.

Thanks again guys, Our position stands.

1 Like

Good money bet. Also people say all manner of things in a forum than they would not in person. Political opinions don’t make someone bad. I am great friends with many people who think very differently from me.

The problem is how differences gets expressed. On the old board it was a mess that WE the mods had to deal with.

The other problem with the political board was that it was an exhausting experience.

Most people don’t understand the amount of energy necessary to be correct 100% of the time.

If you think it is easy to always be right, try it.

It is not easy at all.

2 Likes

You are wrong about that! :wink:

I thought right then. I remember you use to be pretty engaged with it and then turned on it. I wish I would have given it up long before I did. Total waste of time and a 180 degree impact on having a fan friendly Coog sport site.

1 Like

Yeah, I realized I was just was wanting to be right and no one was changing anyone’s mind… and people were just alienating each other… and I was like… what’s the point of this, especially on Coogfans? So I stopped.

1 Like

Politics are visceral. Research has found that political beliefs are biological and also based in nurture. It’s possible to have meaningful discussion about political figures and issues but rare. People are typically looking to prove a point and really aren’t interested in opposing views.

1 Like

Let me start by saying that I don’t think we should bring it back.

That said, I learned a lot on the old politics board. I started posting on fans in 2006 when I was still a student at UH. At that time, I was pretty set in my political views and thought the other side was just wrong. Mostly I wanted to believe what I thought made sense for my side. It was pretty tribal in hindsight. Understand I was pretty young and dumb at the time but don’t tell 22 year old me that!

Reading posts from really smart people with differing views helped me understand that we all want what’s best. We just have a different way of getting there and their reasoning wasn’t as crazy as I thought. It also made me think about my political views and if I even really believed them. I found I didn’t at times but mostly did. But even where I did it made me think differently about it all.

Again, I’m not advocating bringing it back. I wouldn’t participate if we did. I found over time that I was annoyed with both sides. Everyone just wanted to prove their point and thought they were smarter than everyone else. No one listened and just thought they were right about everything.

Hard pass on all that with my Cougar brothers. :slight_smile:

1 Like