Today is a perfect example of why we will never be invited to the Big 12n

Now that made me laugh. I needed it. Thanks.

1 Like

We pointed this out even before D’Onofrio came in. We knew this was going to be a major problem. Major & D’Onofrio are not recruiting well enough. That’s the harsh reality. There is a kid in Florida, California or Montana that would love to get the opportunity. We need to do a better job. Our recruiting network has to get better. It has been an issue for years. I am sure Chris is working on it extensively.

1 Like

Don’t be a baby. UH’s secondary was excellent in Herman’s first year. No one has 3 or 4 Ed Olivers
well Alabama might get close.

Cusa
 you mean the DJ Hayden and McMillan backend? That was one year from what I remember lol. Gosh our cusa defense were atrocious except for 2011.

:joy: yeah, that one good year when we had Hayden.

1 Like

I was overexaggerating, but you should be able to still understand my point. Imagine what the defense would like if you had multiple guys half of what Ed is which is more then are typical defensive recruit. You have an offense and defense full of 4-star recruits and UH would be a monster! You guys keep listing off years we had a good secondary. Did you notice the number of years in between where we couldn’t defend a pass? What is that like 3 years out of 10 we had a good secondary?

My whole point is that UH would be a monster if given access to the recruits like Tech and rest of the Big 12. Depth wise those recruits make a big difference and we are seeing it with this year’s defense. This is why these Big 12 teams will never let us in. They do not want all these great recruits in the Houston area to stay home. Think back to how Miami did in their heyday once they were able to convince all the great Miami recruits to stay home. Houston is a hotbed for talent and the Big 12 doesn’t want us to be at a level playing field to recruit them. Tech, Baylor, and TCU also know how much the Big 12 money would boost are program. Watching the game today live in Lubbock puts it in perspective.

We have a 5 star at tackle, 4 star at end, 4 star at safety, and a 4 star at CB. So more than a 3rd of our starting D was ranked 4 star or higher

Yes but see you just proved my point, we have 4 stars at certain positions but that is on the first team. Behind that four-star linebacker is a two star. We can not compete depth wise. Now I’m not saying your going have a second team of all 4 stars, but the Big 12 teams can recruit decently to make sure there is not such a drastic drop-off in depth like we have at UH. If we were in the Big 12 may be a few more of those Houston kids stay home and we have better depth. This is why certain Big 12 schools in Texas will never let us in the conference.

Havent looked at TT’s starting defense rankings, but how many 4 and 5 stars do you think they have?

Their depth on offense and defense is definitely better than ours. Can you seriously tell me there is not a big drop off between our first team offense and defense to the second team compared to the drop off at Tech? Heck, we just saw in the Arizona game how big of a difference it was between our first team and second-team offense. I will state right here that Tech has better athletes in their second team offense and defense then we do. You honestly don’t think there is a big difference in recruiting depth in our American conference compared to the Big 12? If we could tell recruits they could stay at Home and play at UH and compete for a national championship in the Big 12 Conference. , our depth would be so much better! This is why the Big 12 teams in Texas will never invite us.

Looks like Texas is gonna kick USC’s ass.

I’m not certain how close you follow recruiting, but you’d be suprised how many players that UH gets to commit also have offers from Texas Tech. Tech is not and has not been a strong recruiter, even with their presence in the Big 12. While I will agree that depth was an issue today, so was conditioning. Even the announcers mentioned that the 1st team WRs looked “gassed” in the 3rd quarter. The blame for this loss can be spread around, but the UH strength and conditioning coach should shoulder at least a part of it.

Any time your defense gives up 63 points and 600 yards passing there’s a good possibility that you will lose the game.

1 Like

Actually, Texas Tech’s Chancelor was in support for Houston’s admittance to the BIG 12.

Good for Tech then, but there are still some other Big 12 schools in Texas that don’t want us due to recruiting. Also, I am thinking beyond just Tech. In general UH recruiting would be so much better if we had access to a level playing field. In general, the Big 12 teams will get the better recruits over us. Recruiting good depth at the skills positions is clearly something those programs have over UH. We have seen it the last two weeks especially at defense.

The Big 12 teams all have a odds chance at winning a championship. An American team will never be put in the playoff because of the loss of money involved to the P5, and you know The Big 12 teams tell this message to recruits. It is naive to think that the Big 12 programs don’t have and want to keep a hold on recruiting in the Houston area. They know very well UH would be a monster if more of the highly rated recruits stayed home in Houston. This is why I am starting to think the PAC is our primary solution.

1 Like

A chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link . . . . . so goes a defense . . . . .

Idk how two private colleges have more cash than us; maybe their donors are more generous, but I highly doubt they have as many alumni, based on yearly graduates alone. tech isn’t very large either in regards to other Texas colleges. Another reason why them throwing the whole Cougar High thing around is hilarious.

As far as recruiting. There are enough recruits in the state of texas to get the job done. We don’t need 4 and 5 stars to be successful in the Big 12. Look at Okie State, TCU, Baylor (briefly). Just need things to lineup nicely.

The state of UH athletics today, does not attract top recruits or get big donor money but that will change once it is part of a P5 conference. I would advise the B12 to grab UH before the PAC12 does because not only will the B12 have to compete against a P5 (UH) in the city of Houston for recruits, but now USC, UCLA, Oregon and other PAC12 teams will be frequenting Houston for recruits.

Too bad we have to wait 4-5 years to find out our P5 status but until then we just need to win.

2 Likes

Let’s step back for a second. We have a #1 draft pick, a 4 star Defensive End, and another Defensive End who may or may not be drafted but is good enough to make an NFL team somewhere. We have a defensive back who started 8 games for Notre Dame last year. We have a safety who played in the SEC and made freshman all-American. We had until Saturday a safety who had played for four years and led the team in interceptions last year. Okay, I have now listed five guys and a sixth that play and start for most teams.

Are you telling me that the other five or six guys are so bad that our defense is terrible (note I disagree) or is the schemes we are running terrible and not one to stop this kind of offense.

2 Likes

After the 2016 debacle I kissed The Big 12 bye bye. No realistic chance of being admitted.

No one out West seems to be antagonistic toward UH.

Last Saturday night a really good game( Az. St. vs. San Diego St.) came on at 11:00 pm in The Eastern Time Zone, 10:00 pm Central. Thus few saw it.

The Pac 12 needs to skip forward 2 Time Zones. Of course that means Texas.

UH needs to go in that direction.

3 Likes