Tom Herman had it easy

I agree with the exception that it was Kings’ fathers idea and not D’Eriqs’.

on a second thought, I have a notion Ehlinger was benched in the second half of the Alamo bowl. The way he ran off the field and into the tunnel alone after the clock expired on the 2nd half with no apparent injury. He was actually on the field ready to make a play when the half ended. Again, just a theory.

I have always thought he hadn’t fully recovered from his injury and was just trying to gut it out. Poor kid tore same knee up in Bowl game iirc…hope he makes a full recovery

Bulto,

That may indeed have been the case. He seemed to have been back in form this season prior to his latest injury. I hope that he can recover.

You are correct in the classes, I corrected my post.

1 Like

You would be complaining even more than you are now if he went the HS only route because we would be losing even more, and for at least another year. People were already going off the deep end before King redshirted and we were 1-3.

What CDH has been trying to do is balance the classes so that we could have a sustained streak of good teams instead of a sinusoidal feast and famine system we’ve been on for some time now.

2 Likes

See… that is where you are wrong. I had my reservations when Holgorsen got hired based upon what he had done at West Virginia, but it was what he did in his first year that really solidified my feeling that he isn’t right for the program. All the things he was doing at West Virginia to get by through the years, he immediately started here, but then added the redshirt fiasco: 1) overreliance on JUCOs (now moreso transfers with the portal) 2) poor player development 3) salty/prickly attitude.

I don’t care who was here as HC in 2019, our ceiling was probably going to be 6-6 at the absolute best with lady luck in our favor. I don’t know who could have done better than that, so 4-8 wasn’t too off the mark. What the problem was… the way we went about reaching that mark. Holgorsen has done little to alter my perception of him as a head coach. It is the same thing, different program. Sure… we will be 8-4, maybe 9-3, next year; but then what? Our roster will continue to have high turnover every year, we will always be looking for the next guy to plug in instead of building a team from the ground up. It will be a lot of 6-6 to 8-4 years, with an occasional 10-win season or better when he needs his contract extended.

So, no… I wouldn’t have complained. I would have been surprised as hell, because it would have been outside of his modus operandi. So, if you’re fine with Holgorsen pulling down the most money of any G5 coach and one of the highest program budgets outside of the very top FBS teams for 6-6 to 8-4 seasons, then you got your man. I hoped for more, but got what I expected - the same ole, same ole.

Edit: I take back my last statement. I haven’t got what I expected. Even I expected more than what we have been given.

1 Like

What CDH is paid is irrelevant to me, I’m not footing the bill, Tillman is. I am fine with 6-6 to 8-4 teams while building toward 10-2, 11-1, and 12-0 teams. I am a patient man and understand that building a program on a solid foundation takes longer than throwing up one that is here today and blown away tomorrow. The latter results in always rebuilding instead of just reloading.

5 Likes

Exactly what I am saying.

1 Like

OLine is pretty young though and that and QB personnel-wise are going to be the biggest places we need and will hopefully get improvement.

I understand, but a coach has to survive while doing that. Your way would have the torch and pitchfork crew out in even more force than now.

Yeah, that ranking was graded before the top 10 recruits left for UT, Baylor, and Florida took what they wanted out of it! You have a very selective mind in cherry pick whatever narrative you want! How many top level, NFL caliber recruits did Applewhite left for Holgorsen? Name all the ones you know please then we can discuss more.

1 Like

I wasn’t crazy either when the admins picked him to be our next headcoach, but I think you and others are counting the guy out too early and complained about him without giving the man a fair shot and understand the difficult position he was in when he was hired. The team and the situation that he inherited was very abysmal.

Applewhite had put our football program in a predicament that was more dire than most actually realized. The players lost confident with Applewhite and his coaching staff and it was evident with every game that we played during his last season. I believe had we stuck with Applewhite the team would have been much worse off and it really didn’t matter much who we hired the team would probably take at least 3-4 years to get back on track again.

History has shown there are quite a few coaches that didn’t do well in their first few years, but they got things on the right track in their 3rd or 4th year. Just on the top of my head it took Mike Krzyzewski four years to start winning consistently at Duke. Before that his team either had a losing record or a very mediocre one. If it were up to many of you on this site he would probably been fired after his third year!

The thing is with Holgorsen, even though his record right now is far from great I see him making progress and he seems to have a direction and a plan for the team, something I didn’t see with Applewhite. Also, some of our losses were very close that could have turned out to our advantage had some luck fell our way or the players didn’t make mistakes that cost us the games, and the refs also made some bad calls that tilted the games against us.

3 Likes

Incorrect, the 247 ranking is the final signing class after the departures.

Good God man…give it a rest !!!

Your hero Apple Boy is GONE !!!

I would love to as soon as people stop making false accusations and sharing incorrect/madeup information in an effort to excuse Hoglorsen’s failures thus far.

1 Like

Yeah, like the those recruiting rankings are the determination of how great a team is! If that is the case UT would be top 5 every year and none of the teams need to play a single game just go by your vaunted recruiting rankings! Oh, and players such as Payton Turner and Case Keenum would be considered a blight to our team since they were both 2 star.

4-8
3-5

1 Like

Pathetic Cary simply pathetic!

1 Like

Agreed, Holgorsen’s performance has been pathetic.

1 Like