Tom Herman’s culture

You’re talkin’ quality loss…ESPNs got to squeeze the whorns for as much $ as possible. LHN ain’t cheap

1 Like

That’s not entirely true. Tom’s boys got 29 points!

A few things on this topic.

1. My wife is a Longhorn and she was really ticked off at Herman for his departure from UH.
  2. Looking down the UT schedule there are four games left where a Longhorn victory would be shocking (TCU, USC, WVU, OK) so 8-4 would be a miracle. Most likely they are looking at 5 to 7 wins again.
  3. Herman runs Greg Davis’ offense. I watched a lot of UT games when he was there and a lot of tOSU with Herman as OC since my oldest kid went to tOSU. It works well with Vince Young, Colt McCoy, Greg Ward or JT Barrett at the controls. Drop much below that in talent level and you’ve got problems.
  4. The swagger everybody at UH loved when he was coaching the Coogs comes across to people on the outside as arrogant and egotistical. He’s no different now than he was in Houston. He’s just got a lot more press attention and people who are used to being stroked by the HC at UT that he has pissed off.
  5. I thought his resume was very thin to be given the UT job. He would have been smart to coach UH for 6-8 years before thinking about a move. Turn UH into a TCU of the MWC level power first.
10 Likes

Yeah, he could have used that to explain how his entire team got a case of the howlin’ skitters.

Or more accurate to describe his entire team as a “howlin’ skitter.” I wonder if Maryland charged Texas a cleaning fee for the stain they left all over the field.

2 Likes

I agree Packtex. Tom Herman needs a different type of QB at uta. For his vanilla spead offense to work, he must have a QB that can make something out of nothing. When things break down, the offense needs an athletic QB that can improvise and create a play. That QB is not presently in Austin. The whorns may have that guy next year when Port Neches - Groves QB Roschon Johnson steps on campus. But, until a play making QB arrives, uta will struggle. There are no Greg Ward, Jr. talents walking the 40 acres today. Tom Herman should get on his knees everyday and thank God that Greg Ward, Jr. was playing QB at UH. Greg had talent, intelligence, poise, leadership, a work ethic, and a unique ability to forget a bad play and get ready for the next big play. Plus, Greg had some talent around him and he used that talent to make big plays. I don’t care how many stars the QBs at uta have, they don’t have the talents of Greg Ward, Jr. It really is that simple.

Go Coogs. Peace.

10 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Week 2 AP Poll = 6 votes

yea mensa is smart he’s misquoting Steinbeck cliff notes. Texas Longhorns coach Tom Herman invokes 'Of Mice and Men' after loss to Maryland Terrapins

“Of Mice and Men” may correctly describe this Longhorn team. Tom Herman is the mouse

So Tom is still recruiting like a bandit huh. That should buy him more years at the helm simply due to getting all his guys in the fold.

For a program that always gets the top talent, there sure is a lot of “wait till we get the right players in here”.

5 Likes

My wife is too. Had to sit through a re-watch of the game. She thought Herman was a fraud at UH when one of our kids attended the camp. She’s a coach and according to her, can see when a coach is full of it. Not happy with the hire and really not happy now.
I think the ‘arrogance’ comes off differently when you’re at a place like UH. The kids and the school (UH) have an inherent humility and work ethic, so the ‘chip on the shoulder’ routine can work.
What I saw when I watched the game was a whole bunch of 4 and 5-stars who believe all the entitled bs they’ve been fed…undisciplined, cheap shots, lots of smack talking, classless. Herman’s post game showed zero self-awareness or humility. Fake swagger that got punched in the mouth…again
He should have stayed here but I’m glad we’re not dealing with his schtick anymore

8 Likes

Sounds more like a Baylor story line.

2 Likes

I just believe getting prima donna 5 stars to play their hearts out is tough. Not all 5 stars play like Ed. A lot of them protect themselves or feel like they shouldn’t have to work that hard. They have been coddled their whole lives until they hit college. They see what TH really is about, and walk back out the door. Make no mistake, the cow college is a tough gig. Impatient boosters want returns on their millions, and kids want what they feel is “owed” to them. Here him and his staff took kids with heart and polished them in to studs. I hated the way TH left. I hate the way he has dished on UH after. That being said his way did work here. He did have a great staff here. I think he is a good coach who underestimated how bad TU is.

3 Likes

Looking at UTs 2017 results, they were in just about every game they played. It took USC 2 OTs to beat them in SoCal. I don’t think this is the dumpster fire most are making it out to be…yet.

But going back to the post game statements. Everyone was expecting Maryland to be in utter chaos, and Tommy said something like, “a team galvanized by a tragedy”. I snickered.

1 Like

Agreed, but donors giving millions want Titles. I think Tom can do it, because I really do think he is that good of a coach. I may be wrong though. I am more shocked about Orlando’s defense to be honest.

Fact of Matter…Herman is an unproven commodity !!!

13-1…9-4…7-6…?-?

2 Likes

I see your point. Like I said, I don’t like what the man did to our players, school, and alumni. My eyes and gut tell me he is a good coach, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Can’t be too galvanized though.

“The reason we played so poorly, in my opinion, is actually a good reason, because of how close this team has become, how badly they wanted to perform for each other, for their coaches,” Herman said."

1 Like

Texas is improved but limited made even more limited by the poor in game moves by the coaching staff.

The offensive line is much improved, easily. However, the playcalling and personnel decisions reek of incompetence. They had a great run using up tempo and then went away from it.

In the first half they ran a great 2 minute drill. In the second half they had a very similar situation ad did nothing similar and ended up with turnovers.

I think Herman is in over his head. Mack Brown went from Tulane to North Cackalacky to UT. Herman needed to take a small P5 job before jumping to UT.

I’m hoping this doesn’t end well for Herman. Perhaps it will knock some humility into him.

Come on coach, you just compared us to Tulane there.

CTH should be buying a nugget meal every single day from Tony Levine…in thanks.

I sure wish Tony had worked out here. He’s a million times a better person than Herman.

11 Likes