Tom Herman (is staying another year)

When he is fired from Texas where does he end up? I think he becomes Sabans next OC to try and rebuild him back up to become a head coach somewhere else. I know the answer to this but I’ll ask anyway. Let’s say we part ways with Dana do we consider him for a 2nd run? Please do not beat me up too badly.

1 Like

We talk more about UT and Herman on this board than we do about UH. Maybe we should just make a UT/Herman megathread instead of cluttering the board with endless posts about a school and coach that we supposedly don’t care about.

15 Likes

I hear you but I can’t pass this up. The good news is that Herman does have a chance of snapping UT’s record of losing at least 4 games every year for the past 10 seasons

2 Likes

Naw. That bridge is too badly burnt. Had his departure been like Scott Frost at UCF I’d say a return would be possible if he was looking and we were looking at the same time.

On that point, Dana will not be getting fired after this season anyways so your hypothetical reunion would have to mean Herman lasts at least one more season at UT, and probably two.

3 Likes

I think he caught lightning in a bottle his first run here. Wouldn’t happen again. Besides, DH needs to be given a few years, at least. We can’t keep dropping coaches after a few seasons. Recruiting, the lifeblood of college ball, really gets messed up that way.

19 Likes

NFW !!!

2 Likes

Not only no, but h*** no! There should be no Cougar interest in rehiring a coach who was job searching during his 1st season here and succeeded largely due to a boatload of talent left behind by the previous coaching staff. Herman was more of a one-year wonder than anything else - vastly overrated and tremendously overpaid.

7 Likes

His buyout is like $15 million. This may not be the year he gets canned for that reason, but no other. The UT people hate him.

1 Like

Second term for Herman?

6 Likes

He had more talent when he got here than probably any other Cougar coach since Pardee, IMO. He did a decent job of using it and not a very good job of replenishing it. He won big games and lost head scratchers.

In Austin, he’s got some of the top players in the nation, some of the best facilities, probably an unlimited budget for staff, and anything else he needs. And he’s not been able to get anything done.

Add to that that he’s become a nationally-known toxic a’hole.

We’ll never let him back on this campus. And if we were to make that mistake, I suspect more than a few people would show their disapproval when season ticket renewal came around.

6 Likes

Lets ask Renu and Tillman

1 Like

Sumlin asked about UH after Appledumpling got canned. He was told that bridge was burned downed

14 Likes

Smart move by UH. Besides burning bridges his performance at UA proves Aggy Land turned his coaching brain to mush and his fire in his belly was put out.

1 Like

For us he hired Dana who hired Kliff. Sumlin took Kliff to A&M. Has he hired anyone of note since?

We already had a herman thread. I thought maybe he got fired. Please merge these threads.

No, no,no, and Noooo!!!

5 Likes

Coach V, are you serious about this…?? If you are, this Narcissist jerk was Crazy if he thought we wanted him back! Sumlin can stay as far as he can from Houston.

5 Likes

He ran out of good OC’s after 1 year at a$m.

1 Like

He made a bad hire and paid for it. He had all the money he needed, not sure what the excuse should be except there shouldn’t be one.

1 Like

Not sure of the bad hire…when Kingsbury left for TT, Sumlin was toast !!

I think a$m made the bad hire.

2 Likes