Tomorrow’s AP poll

Why even allow these guys to be apart of the system??? Seth is a Duke guy, guess he dont want us near his school. It is called fear!

I don’t want to derail this basketball thread but yes it’s fear just as some coaches in the B12 are afraid of us being in their conference.

2 Likes

You have to look at more than just the ranking, you have to look at the votes. Still 9th, but picked up 63 points. That means on average we moved up one spot on every voters ballot. Before, there was a wide gap between 6th - 9th (231 points). Now they are within one spot on each voter’s ballot (65 points.)

4 Likes

This! To take it step further last week they were 155 pts from #8 & 210 pts from #7, now they are 45 pts from #8 & 65 pts from #7. Even our best buddy Seth Davis has moved them from #17 > 14 > 11 in last two weeks.

I don’t think that’s quite the same profile though. The Pack have close losses to elite teams and beaten some very good teams. If they get in the tourney (seems like they’d be in right now) those wins will be what does it.

There’s a different kind of pressure. The big OOC games you get carry a lot more pressure if you play in a weaker conference. If you are a Top 10 team, which UH clearly is this year, is there are a lot more opportunities to lose games if you play in a stronger conference. You are correct that winning on the road in conference is tough, no question. Would you rather have to win Chapel Hill and Louisville or in Philly and Orlando? Memphis and Tampa or Blacksburg and Tallahassee? The demands on your consistentcy are a lot greater. People that don’t watch UH all the time can’t necessarily take for granted that they are as good as the Cincy or LSU game every night. It’s easier to judge that against a tougher schedule. I’ve said numerous times that the Coogs’ consistency is one of their biggest strengths but you have to watch them a lot to notice that if the schedule is on the weak side.

3 Likes

Have you noticed how voters are aggressively moving LSU up the polls? It seems to me if LSU beat #5 Tennessee on Saturday, voters will leapfrog LSU over UH. This will be something to watch play out.

1 Like

Give us the ACC money and let’s see how we would do. It is not an apples to apples comparison. As a program, we are trending to being a top 25 program each year or better.

1 Like

I am with you on that…LSU will leap frog us…

2 Likes

Point is we are also very tough to beat at home and have not lost to any mediocre teams like some of them have. Yes it is a rigged system when they can lose to an average team then get a home win and even move up or stay the same. That makes it very difficult for a good team to slip. And absolutely would be happy to have Tennessee and UNC or MSU or Nova come to our house. We would be favored over any.
Doesn’t matter too much but it is a biased system.

1 Like

Didn’t take long for the conspiracy theorists to show up. The man is always keepin us down!

2 Likes

Prove they are not, since you think there is no conspiracy…

2 Likes

:expressionless:

Currently we are #9 in the country.
We haven’t had great teams in b-ball in years so “the man” didn’t have to keep us down we did a good job by ourselves. No conspiracy dd just poor play. Defend poor play and tell us how we won more games than our record indicates leading to a conspiracy to manipulate our very existence and keep us from achieving our goals.