Too many fouls

THE MRS AND I WATCHED THE UH-MEMPHIS GAME LAST NIGHT.
WHY DOES THIS TEAM GET SO MANY FOULS? WE WERE PLAYING
WELL AND WE ALOUD THE TIGERS TO GET BACK INTO THE GAME.
I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT THIS GAME BUT AFTER THE FIRST
PART OF THE GAME I FELT BETTER. THEN WE START TO FOUL
OTHER TEAMS DON"T FOUL AS OFTER AS THE COOGS. WE NEED
TO GO STRAIGHT UP . IN OUR LOSS TO CINN UP THERE WE GOT
IN TROUBLE WITH FOULS AND THEY CAME BACK IN THE SECOND
HALF. SOMETIMES WE MAKE DUMB FOULS AT THE WRONG TIME.

1 Like

I think it’s CKS’s style to have an aggressive defense. However, the NCAA is trying to crack down on physical play.

Just need our guys to be more disciplined. Too many unnecessary fouls last night.

Fouls didn’t lose us the game. I’ve seen too many games and my observation is that in our effort to play aggressively, it sometimes produces sloppy play.

We had only had 8 more fouls than they did. The difference was Memphis’ FG% was 54%, 3 point % was 52% and FT% was 80%. Our 3 point % was 39%. We live or die with the 3 point shot. Last night it worked for us in the 1st half and worked against us in the 2nd half.

Memphis simply played better and deserved to win the game. We win more than we lose. Last night was our time to lose.

I’m hoping for a 24-6 regular season finish.

5 Likes

I love the aggressive defense, but we can be aggressive and not foul. Cincy does it. SMU the last couple of years has done it.

While Cincy fans are crazy saying they got the worst of the calls when we were up there, they do have some good points about many of our fouls. Too many over the backs on offensive rebounds. Too much defending with our hands instead of our feet.

We can stay aggressive, but we have to get smarter and improve some of our techniques to cut down on the fouls. Probably too late to teach all that this year, but maybe thats the next offseason improvement

2 Likes

When 2 players that have averaged a combined 10 points per game score 40+ it will always be hard to get a win especially on the road.

7 Likes

what he said…end of story

I do like that we did not give up. We could have easily lose by double digts. This Team has a ton of room for improvements. We are obviously not there yet. To be reckon with we have to win these games. Tubby Smith put together a great game plan. We had to adjust and we did not. This will help CKS greatly in the weeks to come.

2 Likes

fouls were not the problem, Memphis shooting far above it’s normal was the problem. UH had the same problem in the first game with the shockers and while UH does have a legit tourney team this year, it doesn’t have the ability to knock a team shooting well off its rhythm, but in its defense; most do not.

I imagine they will suffer the same fate in conference and ncaa’s and lose by a few to some shooting a little better than average.

2 Likes

I was more disappointed in the shot selection in the second half than the fouls. We panicked on offense stopped moving the ball around like we do so well. That’s why Rob scored so much he’s our best one on one isolation player by far, but that’s not how we win games. When Brooks went cold maybe we should have went to wvb for a short time just to see if he had the shooting touch.

Finally, I don’t think Temple did us any favors by basically not showing up last Sunday. Heads were a little bigger last night because of it perhaps along with the ranking. Tough loss but this isn’t football. We can bounce back easily. I wouldn’t want to be ECU on Sunday.

1 Like

39% is pretty good on the game overall! That would equate to 58.5% from the field if we only shot 2’s. We put up 85 points. I don’t think we died by the 3 other than all the 3’s Memphis hit.

2 Likes

You’re right. We commit too many unnecessary off the ball fouls. Also, our “bigs” need to finish better when they get passes underneath our offensive basket. Iron out those two issues, and we’re a very dangerous team come NCAA Tournament time.

5 Likes

Just like we made a great hire in Sampson, Memphis made a great hire in Tubby Smith. They are going to be a team to reckon with in the tournament and probably next year. It has taken him some time to clear the mess Pastner left, but they will be good.

We got a taste of what they can become. They got hot, starting believing in themselves and took the game to us.

1 Like

Sark, I agree. Tubby had a couple top players bail, just like here with Coach Sampson. I remember the early challenges we had. I am not aware of Memphis recruiting class but they could me much better next year.

We’re not going to win many when the other team scores 91

2 Likes