Top 5 best UH teams of all time

Should be a good debate

It’s really hard to say. Some would argue the ‘69 team by the end of the season was best. They won 9 straight and crushed a good Auburn team (#12) in the Bluebonnet Bowl. Usually the ‘79 and ‘73 teams get the most support though we had our highest ranking in ‘76. The ‘78 team’s loss to Notre Dame puts a damper on their chances, but they were damned good. They beat #6 (A&M), #6 again (Texas), #9 (Arkansas), and #10 (Florida State). Of course, the ‘76 team defeated #4 (Maryland), #5 (Tech), #9 (A&M), and #20 (Texas).

2 Likes

For pure talent the1989 team had 5 players drafted in the first 3 rounds (2 in the first round).

Freaking wrecking crew and Arkansas ruined what should have been an undefeated season.

1 Like

A&M did first. Those two teams were our toughest competition in the conference that year, and both games were on the road.

1 Like

And now we worry about road games against Memphis and Navy. No one should argue for a team after 89.

2 Likes

2015 squad makes the list

5 Likes

Of top 5 teams? You could make an argument. The only really good teams they beat were Florida State (finished #14), which played with their second team QB, IIRC, and Navy (finished #18). I’d put them behind ‘79, 73, ‘76, ‘69, and ‘78 (the SWC was like a P5 league in the 70s), but in the mix with ‘74 and ‘89. To each his own.

4 Likes

I agree on the ‘69 team as being near or at the top at the end of the season. The beating they put on Auburn was classic. The ‘78 team would be my #1 (but still top 3) with the win against ND.

Maybe 1990?

1 Like

The ‘90 team played a soft schedule and couldn’t stop anybody. I wouldn’t have them in my top five, but that’s just me.

1 Like

3rd highest ranking in program history. Tied for best record. Beat four ranked teams. Won a conference championship. Won a major bowl. A lesser version of that team beat the Big 12 champs the following year and shut down the Heisman trophy winner. There isn’t a world in which that team isn’t a top 5 team in program history. All due respect given to the past but some of you old timers are just blatantly disrespectful.

Nope

1 Like

This

1 Like

That’s just the nostalgia speaking for you. Reality is the 2015 team is only one of three teams in program history to win a major bowl and a conference championship in the same year. Only the the '76 and '79 teams accomplished more within their sport because they finished with a higher ranking in addition to garnering the same accolades.

2 Likes

Yes, but that conference championship simply doesn’t compare to those won in the 70s when the SWC was truly a power league. The ‘15 team was a good one, but “ranked teams” like Memphis and Navy don’t compare to Texas, A&M, Arkansas, Nebraska, etc.

5 Likes

SamHouston is correct. Those who have watched Cougar football for 40-50 years understand and have seen a lot.

4 Likes

Uh, let’s clarify.

It’s more accurate to say that we put their first team QB out of action.

They played with their 2nd team QB because our defense decimated them to the extent that they were FORCED to, not because of circumstances beyond our control or theirs.

That changes the calculus a bit. We didn’t win because their 2nd team QB was out, but rather, because we KNOCKED him out.

BIG difference. One worth mentioning rather than disregarding.

1 Like

I like ‘79, ‘76, ‘73, ‘78, and ‘15.

6 Likes

Their first team qb came back into the game if i remember correctly

1 Like

As I recall our own 2nd string QB contributed and scored a TD as well.

If we could win with our 2nd string QB playing, then why couldn’t they?

Hint: because we were that much deeper, better, and more dominating.

People shouldn’t attempt to either devalue our FSU win, or find reasons to give less credit than is due to the ‘15 team.

2 Likes