Transfer BOOM

Neither did 6 ft 4 225 kid from Mizzou or 6 ft 5 245 kids from Bama or 5 ft 11 198 kids from TAMU or 6 ft 6 297 kids from UCLA or 6 ft 3 220 lb cornerbacks from UCLA either. I hope this one works out!

2 Likes

Wow, what a positive post.

The track record of these ‘immediate impact’ transfers is not good.

Here is a different version. This Virginia Tech guy sure is going to make an immediate impact on our defense. Our defense is going to be a top 10 statistical defense with this guy. He chose us over Auburn and that shows we are on the way to the PAC12. Man I bet if UT and ATM saw that we got a transfer like this they would make the chronicle write terrible things about us. Sold out stadiums here we come! We were the only school effected by covid last year so this is going to be the year! If only Tom Herman would have recruited better before leaving in 2016 we would already be the best team ever.

All our starting Cornerbacks were immediate impact transfers. The glass is half empty to you, but there is water in there.

3 Likes

Getting transfers that did not play because of being buried on the bench is not good. This guy played in 4 games, and has a lot of upside. I’m good with it, and if nothing else, defensivw depth is a good thing.

And pancoti has been solid. So was Porter. I am hoping the tank kid and the center from la tech come in and help immediately. Not just help but upgrade. 8 out 12 of the 2019 P5 transfers that were going to be game changers whiffed. A few never even saw the field. That is 12 scholarships that we could have given to freshman and been building for this year.

1 out of 6 from 2020. To be fair the Tank kid is eligible this year. But I don’t think Cooper or Scott are even on the roster.

High school kids flame out as well. But at least you can try to build them.

This season we are walking in with 3 wr’s from P5 schools that we are hoping will be the core of our wideouts. That might create a short term success or they might have left their previous schools for a reason.

I am at the point of being a fan that getting excited over a transfer when kids can transfer here from Mizzou and then to Arkansas within a few months is a waste of energy.

We are going to PAC 12 cause someone chose us over Auburn lmao, this board comes up with some wild stuff

1 Like

Here is another different version. The transfer is classified as a freshman and would be a redshirt freshman were it not for the COVID year. As it is, he has played in the 4 games normally allotted for freshmen to maintain their redshirt.

I expect him to be one of the better players in the freshman group. I do not expect him to be an All American this fall, but he could turn out to be an impact player in a couple of years. However, as with all young players, there are no guarantees how he will turn out or if he can avoid injury problems. He was a well regarded 3 star player coming out of high school and was not a blue chip with a trouble maker attitude.

3 Likes

I can be excited when we get transfers just like I’m sad to see them go. I get much more excited to see them make plays on the field. I’d rather live a life where i am more excited about the possibilities than sure of the negative outcome. The last thing UH football needs is someone suggesting more apathy.

2 Likes

26 years as a fan wears on you. I didn’t get the run and shoot or the veer. I got Helton. Dimel. Watched as Briles left to Baylor, Sumlin to ATM and Herman to UT.

Yep, gonna take a bit more for my glass to be half full.

My basketball class is half full!

1 Like

Ian, glad you remained a fan having started with Helton and Dimel.

1 Like

I tell you what. 96 was awesome. We played a stout schedule. First UH game I ever saw was against SHSU and I thought we were the best team ever. Came down to earth a bit after that. The USC game at the dome was amazing with 10000 fans. I really was clueless as to how miserable our fan base was. But thatSouthern Miss game when about 200 of rushed the old Robertson with the track after knocking off a top 25 team. The bus loads of fans that left the day after Christmas from the old parking lot between Robertson and Hofheinz. Had to have been 50 or 60 charter buses. Then to see us play Syracuse and lose in that frigid cold and party on Beale street.

I thought that would be college football every year.

2 Likes

I started in 95. I grew up going to every game at the dome. As a kid that was great but as student i loved getting football on campus. Storming the field as a student is such a unique college memory.
If basketball is only half full, no wonder its hard to be a fan

I saw 96 and the win over Southern Miss as a renaissance and figured that we had righted the ship and would get back to where we were in the 60s-80s. Boy was I in for a rude awakening.

Despite the Liberty Bowl loss, we were not that far away from winning the game (although Cuse had the better team). I figured that Ketric Sanford would be the centerpiece of a strong program going forward. Well, he had a great career, but the team really didn’t surface again until Briles worked his magic.

I remember that 1996 season and that SoMiss game well!

I was in my third year of law school at UH at the time, and was living on campus.

That said, I grew up as a Coogfan (my Dad is the only bigger Coogfan I’ve known), and I started going to games in 1978 at the Dome. Saw the Veer, the Run and Shoot, Ware’s Heisman, etc.

So I’ve seen the peaks and the valleys.

One great memory: watching us cap off an otherwise awful season in 1995 with a comeback victory over Rice in the game that “turned out the lights” on the SWC!!!

1 Like

I recall when the SWC folded then we joined Cusa and the excitement for Cusa was that if we’re left out of the big 12 then at least we can easily run the table in conference then we get to play some great non conf games to spice the schedule up. I thought we’d keep winning the conf mostly then get to play LSU , Pitt , Miami , USC etc and create a unique brand here and have the easy path in conf like Bobby Bowden at Fla St. What happened was that our Cusa mates caught up with us because you recruit according to conf strength and it hurt us more bc we went from being big dog SWC to Cusa. So I was wrong also. It proves that if you throw UT etc from the big 12 to Cusa , they will suffer the same way in recruiting. If UH was in a p5, we’d recruit to that new conf level. Thankfully now the aac is becoming like the old big East and is respected and if the playoff field happens at 12 then we could be in the best conf since the SWC and play in major playoff games which could equal the cotton bowl for the champ. We’d be getting back almost to where we were short of a p5 invite.

1 Like

What is the genesis of the playoff change? It seemed to come out of nowhere. Is it potentially something the tv people wanted, but conferences in power did not want to change too much too fast? Now, with loss of substantial revenue and the future not 100% certain, are the conference mates now okay with the change to increase their revenues? Empirically, the P5 likely has 11 of the 12 spots every year and the broadened playoffs give more tv revenues and help out the P5 even in down years because they at least get a shot at a chance to participate.

1 Like

It came about because fans got tired of the same 4 teams in the playoffs all the time. The committee tried putting ND in and the ratings still tanked. Fans would rather Alabama and Clemson not be in the playoffs at all than watch another Alabama Clemson championship game.

1 Like

Don’t kid yourself. The genesis is that the P5 conferences want more $$$$.

And if it means allowing 1 or 2 teams from other conferences into a “playoff”, then so be it.

1 Like

Plus covid played a role. Attn might drop for the p5s more bc people might not feel comfortable sitting in an 80k or 100k setting right next to each other. The sec lost 30 to 40 mil per team in covid due to attn drops. We only lost 7 mil but they hurt more. So it’s covid plus people are bored with lack of access for all conferences. It was the perfect storm if it had to happen with covid.

1 Like