Tropical Storm Michael

Will be going through NC Thursday or Friday according to the forecast. It might be a cat when landing in Florida Tuesday to Wed. I don’t feel that it will cancel our game but let’s wait and see.

Interesting … Michael is a very fast mover … that and a cold front will be pushing it out to sea once it crosses the SE.

Latest forecast cast it as a tropical storm over the ECU campus 1 AM Friday morning

It would seem pretty insensitive to hold a college football game in the immediate aftermath of a storm. There will be damage and flooding, again.

1 Like

Simple solution, move the game here

4 Likes

There is nothing simple about that. It would give UH more home games than any other conference member. It would give ECU more road games than any other conference member. If the site was moved, it would have to be either be a neutral site or somewhere on the East coast.

If it moved to Houston, there would have to be some kind of arrangement like Tulane at UH changing to UH at Tulane and ECU at Tulane changing to Tulane at ECU.

LSU and Florida made it work

1 Like

If this is the game you are referring to, it wasn’t simple.

1 Like

Move it to Knoxville. All the Carolina evacuees come here anyway. The team can stay at my house. My wife won’t mind.

7 Likes

Move it to Tuscaloosa and have a double header.

1 Like

Latest forecast …

7PM Sat what is left of Michael will be NE of Maine out to sea …

It will be up to the admins of ECU to determine if the stadium and area will still be able to hold the game Sat night … so all day Friday and Sat to recover …

As that area will have taken a direct hit from Michael (tropical storm strength) 1AM Friday morning.

Probably the main concern will be power outages and electricity not only for the stadium and campus but the area

1 Like

Team usually flies in Friday PM. Could be problematic

That’s true. The airport and flying conditions might not allow the UH team to fly in. Game might have to be rescheduled at the end of the season or even cancelled if UH is set to play in the AAC championship game.

I think that’s unlikely. ECU already lost one game to Hurricane Florence, and they’ve scheduled NC State for December 1 as a makeup.

I think it’s a bit odd that UH, ECU and the AAC have all been completely radio silent on the status of Saturday’s game. They know that eastern NC is going to get whacked by high winds and rain, and they also know that a conference game has to be played come hell or high water (no pun intended).

My uneducated guess is that they’re trying to find an alternate location for the game.

Well then maybe they both fly to somewhere like Memphis where they could play the game in the Liberty Bowl stadium.

It will have blown through Fri early morning. The plane will land, and the game will be played.

4 Likes

You could be right, but you’re assuming that the FAA will allow flights in the area and that the airport will be cleared to handle air traffic.

2 Likes

Yes, I am.

I just heard Michael will still be a Cat 2 into Georgia. No telling what it will do as far as damage in Carolina and power outages.

My better half reminded me that it was a good thing that we canceled our out of town team trip to Greenville for ECU this week. She could have stopped there and didn’t have to remind of the Navy monsoon we sat in and how it took us 2 days to dry out. We both were soaked even with rain gear.

Think I would wait and see if there are any real issues !!!