TSU/UH Athletics District Metro Rail Stop

https://twitter.com/UHjsmith/status/900721204537040896
https://twitter.com/UHjsmith/status/900750206194647040

4 Likes

Surprised that wasn’t the original name, given that Robertson was torn down before the station was built.

2 Likes

Does anyone have experience using the metro rail to get to games? I usually come in Spur 5, park at a garage near the rec center, then shuttle over to the stadium. I’ve been interested in using the rail and would like to know if it’s convenient coming in from the west side, and where a good place to park downtown would be

Rode Metro for the weekday games last year. Parked by the Dynamo stadium, hopped on, and it dropped me off at the stadium. For at least one of the game, UH gave out coupons for free hot dog and soda if you rode Metro.

Piece of cake.

2 Likes

MetroRail is fantastic from either direction. I’ve parked at Palm Center (for free, BTW) several times. Takes you right out of all the traffic after the game. I’m on 610 headed home 5 minutes after the rail drops us off. Highly recommend it.

1 Like

I’ve done it three ways, multiple times. Once at the Palm Center (my least favorite since I’m coming from Sugar Land), several times from Dynamo, and multiple times from the garage by Moody Towers.

The Dynamo Stadium lot is primarily for Thursday night games. I highly recommend it for the Memphis game this year. I’ve seen some folks tailgate there, but I skip that because I enjoy the atmosphere outside the stadium for tailgating.

The Moody Towers garage option is mostly due to having 4 kids under the age of 9. I primarily do the light rail because they love riding a “train”. It might be a little quicker than just walking across campus, or riding a shuttle from one of the outer lots on “architecture” side of campus. But then again, it may not be quicker. If it were up to me, I’d park by the Moody Towers or the Rec Center and walk through campus because I enjoy that walk…brings back memories. But the kids would think it’s boring, long and would miss the “train”.

Bottom line, if it’s a Thursday night game, its a great option to park at the Palm center or Dynamo stadium…if it’s a regular Saturday game, the only reason to park on campus and ride Metro is for the novelty of riding the light rail…or if you’re limited to only walking shorter distances.

1 Like

Thanks Brad, that’s helpful. I usually always park off of Calhoun then walk. Never a problem getting in or out. But it sounds like the metro rail option will be really beneficial for the Thursday night games.