Tuesday's attendance

I was thoroughly disappointed with attendance @ tonights game. My guess is 2500 in attendance . . . . . pitiful for an openings home game . . . . . on a positive side, the BAND was very enthusiastic . . . . . most energy I’ve seen at any UH game in years . . . . . Go team and Go band . . . . .

6 Likes

Have some perpecective. Alabama State on a Tues night and we had a solid crowd. Silly to argue about numbers one cannot prove but your guesstimate is quite low.

11 Likes

I’m no longer going to complain about attendance and here’s why:

I purchased season tickets, but the chance of me making every game this year is next to zero. I live and work in Richmond/Rosenberg. I left at 5pm (as early as I possibly could) for a 7pm game. It took me 90 minutes to get there in rush hour traffic. It happens like this every weeknight game. I would imagine there are plenty of people in the same boat. Until Houston joins every other major city in the world and creates legitimate mass transit that would allow one to get from Katy to downtown or Clear Lake to downtown or Woodlands to downtown in half an hour, we will continue to be a traffic cluster****. We’ll draw plenty for the big games, but I think it’s going to be tough on a weeknight to consistently fill the stands.

22 Likes

Our transportation system suxs

AGREE. But BYU Friday night probably going to look full.

1 Like

In the 70s and 80s, our home games were at 7:30, and we have much more traffic now than back then. Of course TV changed all that with tipoffs at the top of the hour.

1 Like

What’s sad is the whole town is/ was designed for rail.

5 Likes

What’s sad is we had a rail line all the way down I-10 and down Westpark. Genius politicians that are smarter than us decided to tear them out.
And metro’s light rail lines have done nothing but make traffic worse.

3 Likes

Hopefully it will be close to full! An 8PM tipoff against an established team. BYU football travels well, not sure if basketball has the same following, but I’m sure there will some BYU fans in the stands as well. We need our students and season ticket holders to show up!

3 Likes

I remember going to games during CKS’s first two years and 2500 would have been huge! Some perspective…

4 Likes

What other major cities have mass transit that covers 20+ miles in 30 minutes? Not counting intercity High-Speed Rail systems, because those don’t face the same constraints as commuter transit.

METRO is a legitimate mass transit system for the urban core of the city, which is what “every other major city in the world” has. Houston’s problem is that we’ve incentivized people to live in places like Richmond and Rosenberg by building a freeway system that will accomodate that commute. That sprawl is Houston’s problem.

3 Likes

The first part is true, the second part is not.

5 Likes

It is was Tuesday night against Alabama State. My season tickets were used yesterday, but I have two small kids, a wife that works, and I live in League City. There’s zero chance I make every game.

I will be there Friday night with bells on.

1 Like

New York, Boston, Philly and Washington.

3 Likes

Most, if not all of the above had their mass transit (trains/subways) built generations ago…

All the weeknight games is precisely the reason I can’t bring myself to buy basketball season tickets. I work in Katy and it’s rare I get to leave work before 6. Even if I could, I have young kids at home and can’t keep them out until 10pm or constantly leave them home with my wife handling all the bedtime duties. Unfortunately it’s just not a recipe that works for me. I will, however, be at the BYU game on Friday with a friend and I’m very much looking forward to it. I’ll also be at the Rice game next Tuesday because a friend hooked me up with tickets and my wife graciously told me I should go.

4 Likes

I feel like the students have to fill the void on the weeknight games. Most of us are traveling from different places and it’s not easy to make every game. There are enough students on campus to help fill the place up.

2 Likes

SINCE POSTERS KEEP STARTING STUPID THREADS ABOUT UH CONTINUING GAME ATTENDANCE ISSUE, I’LL MUTE THIS THREAD.

2 Likes

I watched it on TV and based on butts in seats behind the benches and the volume of noise, I’d say 2500 is about right.

Is the camera for TV still in the same spot it was in last year? I thought they were considering moving it as the other side is usually more full…