Tune and King

Tune isn’t exactly a statue back there…and it wasn’t the offensive line that caused King to become a miserable passer.
I hope King returns to normal and does well here on out…

I’ve never said that about King being miserable, it was the new offense Holgy was running.

1 Like

Yup he ran the Briles one check system really well

2 Likes

He obviously was not meant for the new offense, but he was missing passes by wide margins even when given time to throw…he had a bad year and left…I am ok with that…

1 Like

The new offense often scored well enough but was held in check more by our defense allowing the opponents to keep thve ball and keep our offense on the sidelines. Their ball control wore down our defense and let things happening the Navy game.

Sometimes you need to have more defensive stops to give the offense a chance. But often that chance was wasted by the O line not giving Tune a snowball’s chance. We just didn’t have the depth to start with and as the season wore on, injuries depleted it even more.

2 Likes

The SMU, North Texas, and Navy games when Tune was healthy, the offense looked good. Were there any other games with him at or near full strength? The defense couldn’t stop anybody all year. As for King, let’s not forget he didn’t even look good passing against Prairie View, missed so many passes against Washington St’s very poor defense, and the offense was shut down the 2nd half against Tulane.

1 Like

No one did well under Apple Boy.

King had that one good year under baby Briles.

2 Likes

That Prairie View game was ugly

Yes that was when it became clear there was a problem.

Tune looked pretty good against UCF. It was the defense that had more trouble than the offense in that game. A few more stops could have resulted in a win. Same was true against Cincy.

1 Like

I know he was banged up really bad for the game against Cincy, don’t remember the UCF game much. The Cincy game was so frustrating because of those few game changing calls/non-calls for Cincy. Holgorsen out coached Fickell in that one for sure, limping QB and that patchwork defense almost won it.

1 Like

I’ll take Greg Ward over King.

9 Likes

Should we hate the kid because he changed his mind and transfer. Grow up lol. No one was complaining when Keenum or Ward were having success throwing those bubble screens… Lol

I liked watching King in Briles system, but that system asks for pre snap reads not the same as what Holgs needed last year. Fair?

Great point. They do not even come close. Greg played two seasons while he was injured.
King told everyone he was staying then he transferred. At first glance it does not look good at all. That is choice. Thank you for your time here.

1 Like

I Don’t hate the kid. Hope he does well. His problem was he was not cut out for Holg’s offense. He couldn’t make the reads. He’s better off in a system like Briles’ where he’s throwing to a zone.

1 Like

Wait a minute. King has had more injuries than Tune but Clayton is the one who needs to prove he can stay healthy?

The kid had one injury that if played on can nag over the season. He’s had time to heal. The OL will be better and the ball will be out quicker. I’m rooting for both of these Coogs but if you watched their respective OLs, the kid who suits up for the Coogs this year has a better one, AND the better OL coach. One kid also starts a new system, and the other it’s just practice.

In short, even if King came back, he wouldn’t beat out Tune. Time to move on.

6 Likes

Tune is my son’s roommate. During this time off, Clayton has taken the leadership role for this team. He has been In constant contact with coaches and teammates. He studies the books, takes critiques and advice from those that give it to him and embraces his role as the starting QB. This is a new season and a clean slate. He is the one that his teammates count on and trust to have a successful season. The guys have fully embraced fall camp and are in training, hard training. They will be ready when they take the field. They work in unison and all want to have a great year. Go Coogs🐾

22 Likes

last year he was a bright spot when healthy. give him an average defense, an average o line, an average running game, and good receivers he will lead us to a good season. perhaps, even a great one.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Giena. It’s good to hear how the team is working and have embraced Tune’s leadership.

4 Likes