Tune is talented, but not his team...yet

Tune seems to have all the tools. Threw some beautiful corner routes. Threw some misses over the middle. And made some nice runs.
But what seems to be lacking is his ownership of the offense. When he throws TDs, you don’t see the WRs celebrating with him. When Case or Ward threw a perfect ball for a TD they all seemed to celebrate together. They seemed to command the O. And everyone had faith in them.
I am hoping this happens with Tune. He is talented enough to be lead this O. But does he have the ability to elevate those around him?

2 Likes

What made every UH quarterback with a last name that started with K or W so special is like you said their ability to command the offense and the leadership of the team.

Tune has most definitely improved but time will tell if he makes his mark at UH.

1 Like

Keenum seemed to elevate his play in big situations. Tune isn’t there yet. He’s on the right track but has improving to do. It’s not all on him though. This team needs to improve in all areas.

2 Likes

I really like Tune. I love me some Case but lets not act like he wasn’t the QB in some dreadful games.

Let’s see what happens with Tune. I like what I see.

5 Likes

I suggest you watch the replay of the game as I did after reading your post. So he didn’t sprint down the field after the first TD pass, the receivers celebrated as a unit. Subsequent shots of the sideline afterwards clearly showed the unity as they interacted together. Same on the second TD. But the TD celebration after his run clearly showed the respect of his teammates.

Not all leaders lead the same way. I actually liked the way he let the receivers have the celebration revolve around their accomplishments. He’ll improve, as will the rest of team. I’ve watched a lot of football so far this year and based on what I’ve seen, we are in good hands.

9 Likes

I saw that also. Clayton is not the type to want the spotlight. He gives his receivers/RBs the credit.

10 Likes

I see literally all upside in Tune…patience.

5 Likes

This team resembles the late season 2014 team, that narrowly lost two Cincinnati, beat Pitt in the armed forces bowl and won the peach bowl in 2015. Takented but indisciplined. They need solid coaching and superb locker room leadership to be great.

1 Like

Agreed

Anyone saw our recruit last night. Threw for a zillion yards and 8 TDS in 2 and a half quarters :flushed:

Well his last name does start with a K

1 Like

Giena, all one has to do is to watch Tune in the post game interview. He gave all the credit for the good stuff to the receivers and OL and took the blame for all the bad – which was not really on him. He is a leader and a dang good QB. We will do very well under him.

12 Likes

Tune impressed the hell out of me last night. He’s getting more and more confident each game he plays.

8 Likes

He really is a leader. And although some players used terrible judgement on some sportsmanship, they are not undisciplined as some may believe. I guarantee coaches addressed that quickly.

8 Likes

His humility speaks for itself. When duarte asked him about his personal game he barely nodded and emphasized how he and the group need to play better. I love his attitude. It’s a great take away for me.

5 Likes

It’s rare to see someone, such as Clayton Tune, give all the credit to their teammates or colleagues. This type of attitude demonstrates good self esteem and confidence, in my opinion. It’s very impressive and I wish more people were like this! Best of luck to him!

4 Likes

Tune is talented, but not his team…yet
This the thread’s title.
I would like to emphasize that we have no clues whatsoever in what is going on inside our building or on the training field. Our comments are just suppositions.
Call me out for pointing out a 15 yards penalty by one of our player. Fair enough? Why am I calling it? It is because how much I think of the same player. Every player learns from adversity. Coaches TEACH and communicate how and why to get better. That is the very essence of coaching. Clayton tune playing while injured last year showed everyone how he sees his role. Team is first to him. He could have further injured his muscle. He choose to put the pain aside. I don’t have to tell you how these can be painful.
You can see how much this team means to him. What matters to him and the rest of our entire team is the W. Personal accolades mean nothing. That is why he is on the road to be special.

3 Likes

Tune played well and pretty much for the first a quarters, the team did as well. There where mistakes in the First and Forth Quarters that Special Teams, and the Coach have to take responsibility for, because it negated what Tune, the Receivers, and. The kicking team did. That Onside Kick was coach’s fault. You should always be prepared for the fake kicks.

Agreed

1 Like