Turnovers

The win over UCONN was great. But it seemed like we gave the ball away more than usual. Bad passes, too many dribbles that allow the double team, bad spacing are not what I’m accustomed to seeing. I hope we just had an off night.

1 Like

UCONN’s defense forced a lot of them. They really jumped on passes that kind of floated.

6 Likes

UCONN played defense like we did against Wichita they let up the last 5 minutes but they were intense most of the game. It wasn’t just one player with the turnovers we’ll be fine.

3 Likes

One also has to remember that offensive fouls are in the turnover count. I’d have to go back and look to see how many of those we had, but certainly not as many as UConn. Then again, Whaley could have been called for another 5-10 on illegal picks.

4 Likes

Having had a few nights to sit on it, I feel better that we were able to squeak out a W.

Did we play bad? Yes. Did the refs ruin the game? 100%. But UCONN played some very, very good defense. The best we’ve seen all year without a doubt. And we pulled through.

Very good win, now on to the next one.

6 Likes

UConn played defense like us that game. Their defense was pretty stifling. Vital jumped a couple passes early on. He would look great in Cougar Red.

1 Like

We didn’t play “bad”. We just didn’t shoot the ball very well. We turned the ball over a few too many times but so did UConn. Once again we outrebounded our opponent and gave up all of 59 points. We also “out-blocked” the leagues top blocked shots team by 5-1. The effort was there on both sides.

8 Likes

Some of that is UConn is one of the best in the country (top 20)!

1 Like

I don’t think we played bad against UConn, but then again I don’t think we played good. The refs controlled the game with their whistles and to me that heavily favored UConn.
Looking forward to our rematch even if it is on the road…I think we play a different game, hit a few shots and win close to double digits…maybe I am dreaming…
I am thinking SMU will be our toughest road game the rest of the way, although you never know which Memphis team will show up…

1 Like

Good analysis. The overall league is the bests it’s been.

On Memphis, a few more losses and all they’ll have to look forward to is their FedEx deliveries

3 Likes

What about Cincy? They always play us tough.

I haven’t watched them in conference but non-conf they seem to be more up and down fast tempo than lock down defense focused with the new coach. Producing mixed results thus far.

I think we have some very tough conference games ahead and believe that this thing very wide open. I sure am glad we have Sampson on our bench.

3 Likes

Don’t think the conference is as good as it has been at the top but easily the deepest.
I see road games against SMU, UCONN, Cinci and Memphis all being very challenging.

While they are tough games also none that I will go into thinking we will lose. If we lose it will be because we just didn’t have it.

Agree. Not the top three punishers but the depth has improved immensely. A couple more years and we’re a perennial five bid conference. Book it.