Two situations where BYU should accept an AAC

They’re getting about $4.5mil/yr now and negotiating with ESPN to probably land around $7-8mil/yr.

Here’s another article mentioning BYU

Brigham Young

There is only one flourishing football independent, and BYU isn’t it. The Cougars announced their intention to leave the Mountain West in 2010, and what followed has been a mediocre decade of treading water (and a near-drowning in 2017). Hopes of joining the Big 12 fizzled a couple years ago, and a lot of BYU’s drawbacks then will be drawbacks come future realignment. The program is free of Group of Five limitations, but also lacking its potential bonus — a guaranteed New Year’s Six bowl bid for the top team in that group. Scheduling is an adventure, as this year’s slate indicates: An opening gauntlet against Utah, Tennessee, USC and Washington, followed by a hodgepodge of opponents that make sense (Boise State, Utah State, San Diego State) and those that don’t (Liberty, Idaho State and UMass on successive November Saturdays).

AAC network money has caught up with them and they would benefit from being in the AAC for a few years before the next possible P5 expansion musical chairs,

I think to get BYU, you have to add SDSU, and Boise St. Divisions could look like this.

You could have a West division consisting of

1. SDSU
  2. Boise st.
  3. BYU
  4. SMU
  5. Tulsa
  6. Houston
  7. Tulane

Eastern division consisting of

1. Memphis
  2. Cincy
  3. USF
  4. UCF
  5. ECU
  6. Temple
  7. Navy
4 Likes

Give me UNLV over SDSU.

2 Likes

Fertitta brothers back together again!

Nope, SDSU. Is UNLV a better candidate in pretty much every way? Yep. Do we need to elevate them to become a PAC candidate over us? Nope. The PAC will never take SDSU too much Cali.

Byu is religious, Boise lousy academics those are 3 risk-free adds for our ambitions.

1 Like

I agree, UNLV has more of a chance eventually moving to P4 than SDSU. I say keep our friends close and our enemies closer.

1 Like

While we are re-aligning, lets go ahead and toss, Tulane, Tulsa and SMU!

2 Likes

Kinda interesting how those negotiations aren’t wrapped up though. Seems BYU was expecting announce a couple weeks ago a new deal.

If ESPN would give them 4 for their non-conf and the AAC gives them 4 for their football share…that would equal what they’re expected to get at the least…and give them a better path to NY6/Playoff.

Conference already allows Navy to put their home games on CBSSports, don’t see why they wouldn’t allow BYU to do their thing as well. Even now, BYU’s games not on the main ESPN networks (1-2 a year) are broadcast on both ESPN3 and BYUtv…likely, for games on BYUtv, they could just move it from ESPN3 to ESPN+ while allowing BYUtv to continue to broadcast.

3 Likes

Promoting UNLV might present the Pac with a better package deal that doesn’t have to include a big 12 team.

Or UNLV over Boise State. San Diego and las vegas are both bigger markets than Boise, Idaho and have had success in sports other than just football. Plus I’m pretty sure their academics are better.

Option 1- Add BYU only

Option 2- Add BYU + A Western package of 2 ‘West’ Schools

Option 3- Add one school bu tit would be a less desirable option than BYU. We’ve all discussed the candidates and the pros/cons of each.

Option 4- Add nobody

Option 5- Add none on football and add another basketball only program.

Option 6- make Wichita State play football. Is this even a possibility? And if not…why don’t they have a football team?

Having a start-up team that’s the third in Kansas is a worse idea than half of Conference USA and a handful of FCS programs. They were exploring adding football when we brought them in and I haven’t heard anything about it since. My guess is that we politely suggested that they don’t.

BYU football could make up any lost revenue with a NY6 Bowl, if you can beat the other Cougars.

There are so few negatives to inviting BYU. If they did you can expect them to offer Utah State and Boise 24 after.

1 Like

There is no reason to bring in Utah State if we have BYU.

I think they’d be about my tenth choice out of the twelve teams in that conference.

That list of schools makes me gag.

Its a means to an end, one way or another!

If they bring in Utah State it won’t be them recommending it…it will be BYU.

And to get BYU it would be worth it.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure BYU wouldn’t be recommending an in-state team to elevate (that would be like SMU advocating on behalf of UNT… that’s not happening). I think the options BYU would prefer would probably be Boise, Nevada/UNLV, or SDSU.

And Boise would probably prefer the addition of a California school because of recruiting.

1 Like

BYU has an entirely different level of concern than that.

1 Like