UCF actually has a clear path to the Playoff now

Pain still there my friend!!!

1 Like

From the site

Every Game Counts

The College Football Playoff preserves the excitement and significance of college football’s unique regular season where every game counts.

Four Teams

The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.

My biggest question for them, is what source are they using for SOS. If they are going off of top 25 wins, then they do use the AP. If they go off something as skewed as the Sagarin ratings, then G5s are doomed from the start because of Sagarin’s obvious bias year after year in preseason ratings.

Could be worse, the CFP could go by the massey ratings. (not to be confused with the massey composite)

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3347&s=300937

My guess is they go off the committee’s coaches (there are a handful of them on the committee) opinions on who has a better schedule based upon their unbiased analysis.

Draw up any possible scenario, best case scenario, and every unrealistic scenario that has UCF winning out against the highest ranked teams possible and they will still not get into the college football playoff PERIOD. There will be some loophole, some excuse, or some other reason on why they should not be let in.

Case in point, last year Alabama made it into the playoffs. Alabama is a great team but not only did they not win their conference last year but they didn’t even win their division. Despite that, they still made it into the playoffs. Nick Satan said that if you don’t win your conference you shouldn’t be in the playoffs, but that rule doesn’t apply to certain people/teams. I can guarantee you that they will do anything to have someone be just ahead of UCF so they don’t get in.

Maybe if they want undefeated for approximately 4 to 5 years then they would have to let them in but even still they would have reservations. Just my opinion.

4 Likes

14 Likes

Saying that UCF FB has a clear path to the Playoffs is kind of like saying that UH BB has a clear path to the Final Four.

I’ll word it a different way. If by some wild chance going into a championship game:

1. UCF is undefeated
  2. There are less than 4 P5 conference champs with less than 2 losses.

Then and only then would a UCF win be more important to UH than a UH win. Because it sets up one of two scenarios. Either UCF breaks the glass ceiling or it forces the NCAA to step in and tell the CFP to fix it’s formula.

The problem last year was not that UCF wasn’t ranked in the top 4 last year. The problem was they were ranked 12th. They weren’t even part of the conversation. The conversation was about why a 1 loss Alabama should get in before a 2 loss conference champion Ohio State. The convo should have been about why a 1 loss team gets in before a 0 loss conference champion. Then of course SOS gets brought to the table and then it simple becomes “can a G5 ever realistically have a strong enough SOS to be in the playoffs or are they eliminated soon as the preseason poll comes out.”

Well we did last year if that 5pt play and miracle shot first happen in the same game. What are the chances of another 5pt play in the sport again??

Why are we helping UCF out
if this is The Case, Applewhite, No D, and the entire staff on that train should be terminated immediately
you are not working in the best interest of the school.

3 Likes

This wasn’t about “helping UCF out.” Nothing in my post says that. Nothing says we should throw the game. I said it would be more important for UCF to win.

If you are satisfied with bowl games and a NY6 bowl is what you think should be the ultimate goal for UH, then that’s on you, I’m not going to tell you what you should be satisfied with. I hate bowl games. Anyone that doesn’t understand that bowl games are the number 1 reason why we don’t have a proper playoff system has had their head stuck in the sand the last 5 years.

I outlined a detailed reason why UCF making the playoff or falling just short with an undefeated season helps out UH and all other G5 teams and you boil it down to “why are we helping UCF out.”

1 Like

I hate regular bowl games like you, but I am totally against helping people out. Now if UCF beat us, I will cheer them on, but a UH win is always more important than any schools shot at a playoff not named UH! I respectfully agree not to agree.

2 Likes

Where has anyone said anything in this thread about UH throwing the game? I think you have an internal monologue going while reading other’s posts. Unless you think

actually “helps out” UCF. What we hope for, cheer for, when watching a football game has no bearing on the final result. Unless of course you think he means that he would brainwash the 2K UH fans that would travel to Florida for the championship game into cheering for UCF, the UH players notice this and become dishearten and lose because they feel bad.

Don’t worry. No one is suggesting UH throw the game.

No, I’m going to pull for UH regardless.

2 Likes

UCF’s candidacy for an ACC spot will have little to do with winning. If, and it is a big if, the ACC thinks it needs to plant the flag in central Florida besides Miami and the south and FSU in the north, they may be in play.

Maryland and Rutgers got Big Ten invites and they stink, stink, stink. They stink, did I mention that? What they did do is expand footprint. UCF won’t do that for the ACC or SEC, just as UH won’t expand the footprint for the Big 12.

UH has built facilities and won enough to not be an afterthought, but we are nearly fatally wounded by being so close UT and aTm. Unless the PAC or ACC takes an interest in expanding footprints, this is where we will be for a long time. Doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy the games. Be here now

It doesn’t matter if a team is ranked when they play them, it matters if they are ranked in the last CFP rankings. Either 1 or 2 AAC teams will be in that ranking, no way any 2 loss AAC teams are getting in the top 25 CFP ranking this year.

I wonder if the “best thing” that could result is UCF and USF getting pulled by the Big 12, which some of them and Fox wanted to have happen. Last go-round, neither looked too worthwhile, but they’re both pretty good now.

Why that would be good for us is that it may be the signal that the Pac 12 needs to indicate Texas ain’t coming. Not only are they keeping the longhorn network, but they’re actually interested in the future of the Big 12. It also means Fox is invested in the future of the Big 12, which further puts the pinch on the Pac 12, as their other big conference property. Thus it will be time for the Pac to look at solutions other than Texas, and we’re showing now that we’re able to bounce right back from getting poached, where before it was a bigger drop off, meaning we have a solid and stable program. We do well on TV in Texas, and these next couple of years with games against Pac teams are good auditions - already look good against Arizona, now need to show well with WSU, etc.

Even better is if WV and ND finally go ACC, so that the Big 12 needs to look for another, and the debate is us and Cincy, with Pac also interested in us.

It doesn’t really matter anyway. I don’t see it happening.

1. Chances of UCF going undefeated back to back seasons is a huge long shot.
  2. There will probably be at least 5 or 6 P5 teams with one loss or no losses and a much stronger SOS.
  3. I don’t believe we are a favorite to win our division. Our defense isn’t good and people are over confident about our offense that hasn’t played any pass defenses remotely resembling USF, Temple or Memphis. If we win our division, it will probably be some kind of two loss tie-breaker.

This is the only thing true in the OP. I’d put money that the playoff is going to be Bama, Ohio State, Clemson and Notre Dame. UCF wins out and there are still some one loss teams the Good 'Ol Boy network puts in before they “stoop down” and consider fairness and actual resume.

“Glimmer of Hope”, as if one ever exists. Case and point, the coaches and press have Cincy at 25 in the polls with 3 teams that are 4-2 in front of it.

The good old “strength-of-schedule” argument will always eliminate any non P5 team (like UCF) from the current 4 team playoffs. It’s amazing to me that anyone would ever doubt that.

1 Like