UCF actually has a clear path to the Playoff now

Ive struggled with the prospects of this AAC matchup
Hate to spoil it like USM did for us in 2011. But don’t think I can ever root against UH, even for a good cause. Great if such a loss has a silver lining and UCF busts the P5 charade. Won’t happen anyway
We could fall on our ass vs someone and UCF would get excluded for Notre Dane.

2 Likes

Derek Somerville posted this on twitter:

UCF Playoff Path:
Stay Undefeated
W9: USF loss to HOU, HOU ranked, wins out
W11: USF beats undefeated CIN, USF ranked
W12: UCF beats 1-loss CIN
W13: UCF beats ranked 1-loss USF
W14: UCF beats ranked 1-loss HOU in AACC
ND Loss, 2nd Loss: LSU, MICH, TEX, UGA, UF, OR, OU, WV, UK, IA

IF the Coogs were to lose in the CCG, this looks like the roadmap. The only way I see this going wrong is if Bama loses 1 game before the SEC CCG since the committee will give them a spot regardless.

1 Like

DELUSIONAL is the one word that comes to mind for the folks touting UCF having a chance at the playoffs.

2 Likes

We need a small case of 2007 for 3 weeks for this to happen…if everyone ranked #2 and below lose except UCF for three straight weeks, game, set, match…Done! Of Course, that’s s BIG if…but the Astros won it all last year, and that was a big if, so it CAN happen…

C’mon, even if UCF were somehow ranked #1 in the AP poll, they would still be ranked somewhere around #7 or #8 in the playoff’s ranking. What part of this reality do some folks on here not seem to understand?

3 Likes

I think for many G5 fans, it will validate that they aren’t wasting their time cheering for their team.
Of course , there’s the school pride element but we also want a chance to WIN.

Without that we are truly puppets of the P5. How would you like rooting for the Astros, Rockets, or Texans if they had ZERO chance at playing for a championship?

So, I say…Go UCF break that glass ceiling for ALL OF US!

1 Like

The NY6 Bowl has been given to the Champions of the G5.
That is what it is. Top ranked G5…second class citizens. Separate but equal.

1 Like

There would be pitch forks and rioting if that happened…#2AP/#2UsToday Coaches Poll UCF turned away by committee in favor of 9 - 3 Texas…UCF pushed back to #5 by CFP members…Condoleezza Rice say its unAmerican to add a team from the American in the Playoffs…

Derrick, now that’s funny…and I like Condoleezza Rice but she’s just 1 among many.

Truthfully, the playoff committee is likely dying to put Notre Dame and Texas into the playoffs; and they are far more likely to be in fear of the pitch forks and rioting if that doesn’t happen. Truthfully, they probably couldn’t really care less about UCF (undefeated or not).

Judging off of week 8, the CFP will be:

Alabama
Clemson
Notre Dame
Ohio State

CFP contender 1 loss teams = UT, OU, LSU, Michigan

Yeah… UCF won’t make the CFP. Just doesn’t make any sense that they would. SOS is just not good enough.

They will play Ranked USF, Ranked Cincy and perhaps Ranked Houston…how much SOS do you need to convince committee since you are not allowed to play who you really want to play???

2 Likes

Any G5 will need an SOS consistent with the teams typically in the Top 5-6. The fact that it can’t be achieved, regardless of the reason, is irrelevant to the committee. The CFP is dead to G5-6. That will not change.

As I previously said, there will be absolutely no way possible that UCF gets into the playoffs. Even with every possible perfect win loss scenario of other teams, rankings, etc. there will still be no way they are in the playoff.

I’ll give one simple example. Texas went from being unranked to ranked #9 in the nation in 2 weeks time. There is an extreme bias to the P5, and that is bold proof. It will never happen for a G5 unless they are undefeated for approximately 4 to 5 years.

2 Likes

Well I guess back to Back National Championshipsfor UCF will make Bama mad enough to schedule UCF again…Bama has never beaten UCF…ever! Then again: “The Kick” was enough for Bama not to make that mistake again…

Notre Dame will lose. Michigan and LSU will lose. UT and OU might not lose again until the CCG. Clemson is in a weak conference so they will not lose. There is a chance no matter how small. It is fun to root for the underdog.

I see the AAC and B12, top to bottom being equal. I think both get
left out of Playoffs. They would much rather have ND with one loss
then a B12 with one loss.

The deal here is that if Wake Forest beat Clemson and played in the ACC CG they would NEVER get a look either.
This is about floating teams like UT, OSU, ND to the top of the polls regardless of crappy losses.
Temple is 3-3 and CRUSHED Maryland. UT lost to them, then squeaked by an average K-State team, a TCU without an Offense, good win against OU, and squeaked on out past Baylor. They go from out of the polls to #9.

PSU loses back-to-back Big 10 games and is still highly ranked.

The Media Polls always rank the blue bloods 1-15. They will toss in a Boise around 22…a UCF at 25. Then no decent team will play them because too often they get beat. UH and BYU taking out OU in game 1. Or the MWC, back when they had Utah and TCU having a 9-1 (or something like that) record against the PAC10.

TV wants the teams that seat 100,000+ for every game. They want Goliath to win and won’t let David onto the battlefield.

You are better than the teams you beat. When it comes to Conference winners you are not better than the teams you refuse to play out of fear.

5 Likes

I won’t root against the coogs for any reason. Period.

5 Likes

This right here!!!

1 Like

Can’t argue the UCF point because I don’t know the background but I do know that Alabama played USC, Wisconsin, Florida State, West Virginia, etc all in a non conference games and if I had to pick the stronger non conf opponent year in and year out I still wouldn’t play UCF and it’s not because they are scared to play them.