UCF actually has a clear path to the Playoff now

TCU got in because the only other Division 1 in Dallas footprint was the jaded toxic SMU( remember “Best Dressed Band in the SWC “)

Our current projected bowl opponents from CBS, Sports Illustrated and ESPN are Troy, Toledo, Western Michigan and Liberty.

There is absolutely no chance whatsover I’d hope for UCF to get a playoff berth (which is unlikely anyways) rather than us getting a NY6 spot.

TCU and West Virginia were invited to destroy the Big East. If TCU and West Virginia stay, Louisville never leaves and the Big East moves from battling the ACC as the 5th strongest to battling the Big10, Pac12 and Big12 as the second strongest conference.

4 Likes

is there any possibility for us to get NY6 and UCF gets playoff bid? because we could still be highest ranked G5.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the G5 loses the NY6 slot if a G5 team gets invited to the playoff. I’m assuming they almost certainly do.

However, it’s moot in this hypothetical. The G5 slot can only go to a conference winner. If we lose to UCF we don’t win the conference.

A G5 could still get an at large invite to a NY6 bowl, but that’s extraordinarily unlikely to ever happen.

It’s a fair question because there is no stipulation for G5 getting an automatic invite to NY6 bowls if the highest ranked champion is in the playoffs. I will say without a doubt, because there is no contingency plan in the rules, it would not be an automatic invite.

That means not only would UCF have to finish top 4 after beating UH, but UH would have to be solidly in the top 8 after losing to UCF. So in another season, there would be that .000001% chance of everything falling into places but there is absolutely no way, even if they crushed every opponent 100-0 over the next 6 weeks would they be in a position to lose a second game and a NY6 bowl consider them the best choice for an at-large bid this year.

This has the feeling of “Separate, but Equal”.
Everyone gets 85 scholarships.
Every Conference can have a championship game.
Every conference can negotiate its owns TV contracts
What not equal?

The Folks running the CFP have given every G5 team a chance to play in a NY Bowl game…but the CFP is a separate thing. Only P5 teams can qualify for that.

Seems if G5 teams have no shot at participating in the CFP then they are being told they are equal, but separate from P5.

1 Like

Not only that, the CFP committee is contractually required to fill out most of the NY6 bowl games with P5 teams. In the CFP constitution, they are “Contract Conferences.”

Peach Bowl has both slots not currently contracted to any conference, the solution involves contracting for one of them. It makes sense geographically, our teams have done well in that game lately, and it would be necessary to prop up the conference as being part of the contract system. That’s how to get the TV deal and the poll boosts and the ESPN coverage.

1 Like

We are 6-1
We are not ranked while Appalachian State is ranked for the first time in history
UCF is 7-0
They stayed at 10. At the same time the espn/anchors insults have made the headlines. These are clearly designed to discredit ANY G5 Team. Yes, especially one that crowned itself National Champion at the detriment of the cartel chosen one.
herbshit and cie keep talking about the strength of schedule. Just yesterday they used Boise State as " They used to schedule top Teams" Do you remember what Boise State said just a year or two ago? “Not one of the top Teams wanted to play us” They lost their Coach & have become irrelevent again.
The cartel is working overtime ahead of the cfp scam rating. This is now happening every October.
So the only way for this scam to be called out is for UCF to go undefeated again. Two undefeated years in a row is the last thing that the cartel wants. At 11-1 UCF will be ridiculed. You can also clearly foresee that the AAC will have some major obstacles getting into a NTE bowl if SDSU wins out.
The point of playing DI Football is to win the ultimate prize. Until the cartel is made illegal this will never happen.

2 Likes

I almost feel bad for UCF and want them to win out just to see how the media handles it. However, I still would rather beat UCF and end their debacle.

I’ve just had enough of hearing anything UCF. I’m ready for Houston to be the G5 masters again

5 Likes

Only legislation or lawsuits will result a change in the format. The reality is that no G5 team will ever get to the playoffs. Go the Utah route and lobby your congressman or woman.

4 Likes

I know what you mean but being a “G5 Master” still leaves us in the G5. I want better than that for my Coogs.

Believe me I do aswell, but we can’t do anything until the GOR contracts expire in 2023-2025

We need to Win, Win, Win.

1 Like

UCF wins out? It is only beneficial to U of H, the AAC & the G5. This is the only way to put fire to the cfp. The G5’s are not playing on equal footing with the P5’s. This should have never been allowed. Congress needs to find a way to dismantle this con job.

OTOH, if you get Congress involved, a bunch of congressmen get rich and nothing changes.

See Cable TV for a reference !

1 Like

Well, next year will be our chance again to test the CFP challenge by running the table. If UH can beat OU in Norman, that will say a lot along with an undefeated season. Of course we would want OU and WSU to win their conferences. It’s wishful thinking, but with this scenario, they would have to put UH in the CFP.

There is also an open date where UH needs to schedule a good P5 team that’s not afraid to play us. It looks like Florida State and Miami also have open dates but they may be afraid.

2019 UH Schedule

Iowa State won in Norman last year, it must not be impossible.

Well, it is good to dream.

Damn that’s a pretty strong schedule right there. One more season with Big Ed would have been nice.

1 Like