UCF jumped by Mississippi State in CFB Playoff rankings

Exactly

I thought I did a good job of breaking down what would happen, lol. No way we get above #5 last year.

You did, and I’m not taking away from it. But I think you did forget that Navy was #15 when we played them and Temple was #22 so it’s not like they were dead fish. But again, I was just saying this is all just hopeful/wishful thinking.

Sorry I just woke up and started to respond to your reply. Somehow I fell back into 2015. I’ll go back to sleep lol. Again though, I just feel like thinks could have been pretty special whether we made it or not last year to the CFP.

Sooner than later you will see P5 power teams not playing G5 teams at all…and that will make it impossible for a G5 team to ever make the four team playoffs…

The saddest part is, no one is saying UCF deserves to be ranked ahead of Clemson and OU. It’s a simple argument that UCF’s top win is on par with Miss State’s top win and Miss State has more losses. By also not ranking USF, they also ensure that UCF can’t finish the season with 3 top 25 wins.

Hopefully after this season, there will be more of an out-cry to go back to the BCS ranking formula. Does anyone have a link to a site that shows what schools would be ranked if that system was still used?

http://www.colleyrankings.com/foot2017/bcsLike/bcsLike12.html

Only thing I didn’t like about the BCS was using coaches and Harris polls. The AP should be the standard for the human element.

1 Like

There isn’t a site (Edit, never mind, h/t @FortWorthCoog) . Sometimes there are tweets that try and say what the BCS rankings would be, but there are some issues with it:

1. there were 6 computers being used, but two of them (Sagarin and one other) are now incorporating margin of victory in their computations which wasn’t allowed under the BCS. My guess is the tweeters tend to just go with the 4 original computers since the BCS would drop the high and low rankings for each team.

2. the Harris poll took the place of the AP poll when the AP pulled out and is no longer being administered. I’m guessing the tweeters use the AP poll instead.

I usually go with the Massey Composite which takes 102 different rankings and meshes them all together. According to that, UCF is 11th, Memphis is 18th, USF is 31st.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

1 Like

I think UCF being ranked 11th and USF being ranked 23rd at this point would have been much more reasonable. It will be interesting to see if UCF breaks the top 8 if they win the next two games. I think what annoys people the most is they know that even in an 8 team playoff system, UCF would still be left out of the CFP final rankings.

And UH comes in at #54, between UCLA and Army.

Oh, and Lane Kiffin’s Florida Atlantic is at #38.

As much as this gets talked about, it’s not happening. P5 teams not playing G5s would mean that they only play 6 home games a year (or 5 if they have any neutral site games) because even the lowliest P5s aren’t going to take 2-for-1 or one-and-done deals.

This cfp is a scam.
Scams are not illegal.
Should there be any questions?
Where is the FBI?
Misappropriation of tax Dollars

So P5’s you want our tax Dollars to fund your programs? All G5’s should be on the same footing with P5.
That means 10 Conf champions and six at large. It is so obvious it should not be an argument.
P5’s do not agree or want to break up? We cut you off our Tax Dollars. Let’s see how they respond.
Universities are about education. P5 can’t and should not have it both ways.

2 Likes

Having a more fair playoff system would undermine ALL of the big money conferences. Why suffer playing Bama when you could just as easily make the playoffs playing in the Sunbelt or CUSA? Now that round of conference realignment would be very interesting.

And, of course, Miss State loses their QB, RB, and the game tonight.

1 Like

Karma.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/RoFlo/status/934172460915789826

1 Like

I don’t have a twitter account but someone please tell him that it is so. It’s an absolute certainty.

Great thing is, here is what could shake things up to the point that we get at least an 8 team playoff soon.

Auburn beats Alabama and then Georgia.
OSU beats Wisconsin
TCU beats OU
South Carolina beats Clemson
Clemson beats Miami

All conference champs would have two losses and one runner-up would have just one loss - Wisconsin (assuming Wisc beats Minn today) and one loss 'Bama doesn’t even win their division!

So who gets in? The whole CFP board would be placed on suicide watch. Whoever is left out, for sure is going to complain, and that’s 3 P5 schools, minimum, and likely ND if they beat Stanford.

Now that’s entertainment!

1 Like

I’m watching this Alabama-Auburn game and thinking the whole time that it would be better for Alabama to lose. They’re going to make the playoffs, even with a loss, and they won’t have to play Georgia next week.

Seems like a bug in the system.

2 Likes

Unless Gamecocks put Kryptonite in Clemson’s water soon, there will be no upset here.

The Gamecocks proving how ridiculous it was for them to jump into the rankings instead of USF. The committee made sure UCF wasn’t going to get a second top 25 victory going into the championship game.

5 Likes