UCF To Raise Championship Banner

To call it CFP is to give it too much credit. CFP implies that all Div 1 participants have an equal opportunity to participate. After this season (and others) it is evident this is not the case. So what is it…

It is the ESPN invitational created by a cartel comprised of the BIG10, BIG12, PAC, SEC, ACC and ESPN. Yes the other divisions did sign some sort of agreement where they agreed to the conditions of the cartel. But to be clear, the other divisions are not part of the cartel nor is the NCAA.

In the US cartels are considered a violation of antitrust laws. It does not have to be a formal organization like OPEC to be considered a cartel. Merely by acting liking a cartel, the members essentially create one.

3 Likes

JB, does Alabama or Georgia make them National Champion if they win this game? On what basis I ask?
Think about it. What makes the cfp committee better than everybody else? That is right they meet BEHIND CLOSED DOORS
How convenient
How truthful this process is
How facts based it is
Do you smell a rat? I do.
I applaud UCF for doing so. The mere fact that there are doing so keeps this discussion alive. What does the cfp want? No trouble makers please. We know better, you know nothing and shut the hell up. This farce has to stop.
What the G5’s should do is buy multiple commercials (dare espn to show them) asking for a 10 conferences champions plus six at large playoff. Flying banners would be nice too. Maybe somebody should take over the stadium’s video board and ask for the same thing.
This cfp process is so un-american that it screams for a lawsuit. Nobody should sue McDonalds because the french fries are hot. In this case the cfp should be sued for “poisoning/indoctrinating” the general public.

3 Likes

Coaches get bonuses for bowl wins so I don’t buy the incentive stuff. If Auburn won, they could have made the same argument as UCF in beating both teams.

1 Like

We should put pac 12 banners and flags all over our school.

2 Likes

Now that is inventive but it could scare away future takers.

Yeah, I do believe the winner of Alabama-Georgia is the national champ. It’s my belief Bama deserved to be in the final four and at this point they’re the two best teams in college football now that the smoke has settled. We could go through the merits of the four teams that did make it, but I don’t feel like that’s the topic.

UCF is really good. I’m happy for them and I think at a minimum this should open up the conversation to potentially expanding the playoff to 6-8. Is the process truthful? No, it’s not transparent at all. Is it fact-based? Somewhat.

I’m not disagreeing that it’s a narrative-driven event that’s manufactured for TV. But I think the committee got it right this year. too. Every now and then the awful BCS computer would get No. 1 and No. 2 right. The system is set up that a big school from a P5 conference will always be left out.

UCF should be ranked No. 6 at the absolute lowest. I hope some AP writers give them some No. 1 votes just for the heck of it. But anointing yourself national champion and demanding respect is going to do quite the opposite. You keep whining like a little brother and you’re going to get treated like a little brother. Yes, the deck is stacked against smaller schools like UCF and UH. They have to prove way more and the timing of the out-of-conference has to be really lucky (say like getting two No. 3 teams in the same season). It will be that way until there is some sort of radical change, and it’s the only college sport set up that way.

For the sake of the Coogs, of course I want a change but I feel like UCF’s crowing may do more harm than good. I know Godfather 3 is considered the worst of the trilogy but a certain quote comes to mind – “Power wears those out who don’t have it.” You could substitute “respect” in that sentence and I feel it applies to UCF. They just want to be legitimized so bad they’re going as far as claiming a national championship. Maybe when you’re demanding that level of respect, you know in your heart too that you haven’t done enough to earn it. They have enough to hang their hat on without doing this.

And in this day and age of getting roasted on the internet, UCF is in jeopardy of turning itself into a meme if it doesn’ have kicka** seasons for eons and eons to come. They could, and very likely will, turn themselves into a joke by throwing a freaking parade and raising a banner.

So I’m hopeful UCF will open up the discussion for the playoff being more inclusive even if playoff expansion would take away bowl opportunities for smaller schools. As our conference mate they deserve kudos and congrats, but I really hope the conference or any UH administrators don’t start repeating or recognizing UCF’s claim.

1 Like

The NCAA does not have a structure that allows for a true Division 1 FBS national champion to be named. The CFP is just another entity that is trying to do the job that NCAA isn’t doing. The NIT use to be the way a college basketball national champion was crowned but the NCAA decided to come up with their own tournament and force the NIT to become a second tier tournament. The NCAA recognizes certain polls to determine FBS national champions and currently the Peter Wolfe Rankings, which is recognized by the NCAA to name a champion, has UCF at #1. So their claim to a national title is legitimate. Everyone hates the idea of a G5 national title playoff but personally it should be the NCAA sponsoring the tournament in order to give it validation. If the NCAA did that, things could start to change.

4 Likes

Except for the undefeated part.

1 Like

I get tired of this. It actually says “Every FBS team has equal access to the College Football Playoff based on its performance.” “The selection committee ranks the teams based on the members’ evaluation of the teams’ performance on the field, using conference championships won, strength of schedule, head-to-head results, and comparison of results against common opponents to decide among teams that are comparable.”

First of all who do you plan to sue, the committee members? It’s not sanctioned by the NCAA and teams can choose to participate or not participate. It’s like signing up for a golf tournament and then suing the tournament for not giving out enough trophies/prize money.

Second of all, when you figure out who you are suing, you would be suing them over the evaluation process. Your argument would be that a team in the weakest conference, that loses all of it’s OOC games against weak opponents, has the best record in it’s conference at 5-3 which makes them 5-7 overall, is not ranked in the top 50 in any human poll or computer ranking system, ALWAYS should be invited to the CFP entity’s tournament over a 11-1 team that is ranked in the top 2 in every human poll and computer ranking system.

Again, the CFP is not sanctioned by the NCAA. Other entities are free to make their own playoff system and take it to the school presidents.

UCF has every right to raise that Championship banner.
Scheduling? They scheduled the Teams from our conference and…the ones that would accept to play them.
Now pause and think about OUR 2018 schedule. Do you think UA and ttl are going to “move the needle” if we go undefeated? At best we get the NYE game again. At the same time we will lose our Coach. So it will be back to square one.
You understand the vicious circle this is?
2019 we have OK & WSU, 2020 WSU & BYU. So our best shot is 2019.
UCF in 2018 has NC and Pitt, 2019 Stanford & Pitt, 2020 NC & GT…would that move the needle?
Good to very good P5 Teams won’t schedule us or very good G5 Teams for fear of losing. Then what’s the point of playing Div I?
With this current system the P5’s have rigged the system so G5 Teams have no chance when the cfp comes up with…THE STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE.
Congratulation UCF YOU EARNED IT.

5 Likes

Jeez it’s a little tounge-in-cheek. What else can they do but take a few jabs at the system? Even getting some of you all riled up nicely! It’s doing nothing but giving their program even more exposure. What’s it going to do, make UCF look bad? Such an institute of prestige and higher learning to do such a thing to themselves… We had swagger once.

1 Like

In case someone posted this already my apologies. Listen to this pompous little @#$t. This clearly illustrates what College Football has become.

The P5’s wants to squash the debate and put it under the rug. UCF is making the best G5 in roads argument since way before the BCS was created.

1 Like

Finebaum is irrate about this because he got embarrassed. He said that Auburn would “dust” UCF. He made some disparaging remarks about the UCF fanbase who turned out to the Peach in much higher numbers than even us (closer locale).

3 Likes

Ya he is a complete tool. This is what I was referring to with my above post. Such a douche how he states Auburn didn’t even want to be there, but as you mentioned he stated that they were going to beat UCF. It’s a losing battle with these know it alls who have never played the sport and just ride the SEC bandwagon.

2 Likes

The BS champ is just that BS, fake news created by ESPN and the big school cartel.
I think UCF needs to go one step further than just declaring themselves champ.
They need to appeal to self proclaimed anti-fake news king him self. Trump.
Get trump to invite ucf to the whitehouse and snub the uga-bama winner…
get Trump to declare that the BS winner is just a made up espn tv spectacle and fake news. since the sec fan base help put him in the whitehouse snubbing the winner of that game will resonate with people who could actually help affect the change in the format.

2 Likes

This is correct. It is why I think it should be called the ESPN Invitational Playoffs. Let’s call it what it is. Not a true championship playoff.

2 Likes

Good for them. And since the NCAA doesn’t grant D1 Football championships, their claim is just as valid as anyone else’s!

2 Likes

Lol It is. How many “National Championship trophies” do they give out to teams that don’t win the NC game?

Take Dwight’s advice:

1 Like

The NCAA recognizes certain polls to determine FBS national champions and currently the Peter Wolfe Rankings, which is recognized by the NCAA to name a champion, has UCF at #1. So their claim to a national title is legitimate.

So are you trying to say the NCAA recognizes the Peter Wolfe rankings as the authority that determines a national champion in football? Do Peter Wolfe’s rankings take into effect that there’s still another game left?

I am by no means an expert, but I haven’t heard of these rankings until yesterday and have never seen someone try to use them . I did some looking into it and see his rankings that have UCF at No. 1. His website doesn’t exactly seem like the go-to source and the ultimate decider. Public opinion and most fans are always going to recognize the AP and Coach’s polls. I don’t see the Wolfe rankings ever getting that kind of notoriety. Feel free to correct me if that’s not the case.

Finebaum is a resurrected Bama radio pimp who found a new career on ESPN. I got a real kick out of Malzhan’s comment at halftime that UCF would have to play “Auburn” football the second half. He and Finebaum have mouths full of feathers – and other crap!

4 Likes