UCF To Raise Championship Banner

Using the scenario I posted we would be 27 - 0 for the years '18 and '19 combined. Lasy year Bama did not even win there conference division yet they made the playoffs.

Thatā€™s a bit fatalist IMO. We had that exact scenario play out in 2016 and we were ranked 6th in both the AP and coaches poll till we blew it against Navy (and then SMU, and thenā€¦). I totally agree that theyā€™ll use any excuse to keep us out, but I think that kind of run would be undeniable. I think the first G5 to make it will need 3 things, 1) undefeated, conference champion from the AAC or MWC, 2) at least one signature win over a highly ranked blue-blood, and 3) that win to come early enough in the season to move up the rankings and be in the conversation all year. 2019 sets up well for us if we can take care of business.

1 Like

I agree that there is a path for a G5 to get in, but it will take at least 2 years to pull it off. The reason is a G5 program will have to start any season in which it makes the playoff ranked at the worst in the top 20. The only way to do that is to dominate the prior season, as we did in 2015. I agree that 2019 sets up perfectly for us if we can execute, but I also believe that 2019 will only matter if we finish 2018 strong and therefore begin 2019 as a top 20 ranked team. The problem with UCF last year was (1) they started the season unranked and basically not even on the radar, and (2) their OOC schedule wasnā€™t strong enough to overcome the bias against a G5 conference schedule. If we do well in 2018 (meaning conference championship and NY6 bowl), neither of those factors will hurt us in 2019.

In other words, the arrival of Briles (for football reasons only) could not have come at a better time. We really need to have a great year in 2018 to set the stage for 2019.

Too have a two year unbeaten swing the Coogs, or any other G5 squad would probably have to do it with two different coachesā€¦didnā€™t we learn our lesson with Hermanā€¦an unbeaten season by just about any team in our conference is going to bring the P5 vulturesā€¦of course you could point out that UCF went undefeated knowing they were losing their coachā€¦but I seriously think that is the exception, not anywhere near the ruleā€¦it is simply an unfair playing field no matter how you look at itā€¦

I donā€™t necessarily disagree, but would like to point out that Herman stayed another year after his banner 2015 season. Now, we all know that mentally he didnā€™t finish his second season because he was distracted by Texas, but he didnā€™t leave after his one banner year. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m hoping for here. If CMA with Briles can pull off a 2015 in 2018, Fertitta and Khator need to figure out how to hang on to both of them at least one more year to see what magic can happen in 2019.

2 Likes

Agreed, but the only reason Herman did not leave after that first year was because Texas nor LSU had an opening at the time. After we beat OU the rumors to LSU developed earlyā€¦and then came the UT rumors as they continued to struggle on the field. He knew early he and his staff were going to leave early, but they were holding out for the evil empireā€¦and we all know how all that mess killed our teamā€¦and donā€™t forget that South Carolina flirted and offered Herman after our 13-1 runā€¦

1 Like

Dang it, Butch. Now Iā€™m all pissed off again. Thanks!

4 Likes

I hear ya LOLā€¦and I am getting too old to be getting myself that upset alsoā€¦I have no aspirations that we will be going unbeaten the next two years, but I do expect for us to be very competitive, especially in the AAC. I think once Major settles down he will have us in the running for a division title every yearā€¦

4 Likes

AP poll means squat. The AP and Coaches polls consistently had UCF 2-3 spots higher than the CFP

Some points to keep in mind:

1. UCF played one less game than everyone elseā€™s. Their game with Georgia Tech was cancelled due to hurricane, and GT would not reschedule. Although the cancellation is not UCFs fault, it does weaken their argument.

2. This could be playing into ESpNs hands re their desire to create a separate playoff/National Championship for G5.
    If every undefeated G5 conference champion started claiming the national championship, it could be just the opening that ESPN is looking for. G5 programs may not want such a move, but guess who will get their way! Particularly if ESPN can delay/block P5 expansion and at the same time offer G5 playoffs a few million $ a year.

3. UCF and future undefeated G5 conference champions may proclaim themselves as many national championships as they like, the playoff committee will not view them any differently that it views them right now.

4. For UCF itā€™s been a great marketing move, no doubt. They have gotten tons of free exposure. But for a school hoping to get into a P5, it remains to be seen if this stunt pays off, or not. At best, I canā€™t imagine any P5 accepting UCF without demanding that UCF relinquish its claim to the 2017 National Championship. At worst it could make them untouchable. That of course would work well for UH.

1 Like

Several schools including Alabama have proclaimed themselves national champions as they like. aTm has several that no one else recognizes

As long as 1 organization that the NCAA recognizes as legit says UCF is the champ, UCF can legitimately claim it

4 Likes

Friends, what is it that you do not understand about the word CARTEL?
We go undefeated for the next few seasons? We still have no shots at the CFP because it is a CARTEL. They donā€™t want to share the money period. That is why you have G5ā€™s and P5ā€™s.
The only way to change this is through two possible paths. They are very different from each other.
PAC12 expands and include us
The P5/cfp is taken to court due to monopoly collusion
UCF was the exclamation point. Just look at their cfp ranking per week. It did not matter if they had played one more game and beaten Alabama. They had no chance to get in.
I will add one more point. Letā€™s say the cfp wants to include a G5 to get in. What about giving every single G5 Team THE FORMULA for getting in? It is easy, convenient and highly hypocritical to say they (G5) did not belong. It is another to set the rules. The rules do not apply to us friends. They only apply to the P5.

1 Like

Thatā€™s one of the more ridiculous things Iā€™ve ever heard. They wonā€™t be going to the SEC, which is the only conference that would give a spit.

1 Like

We had a legit chance in 2016 Had we gone undefeated. The committee even said so. Iā€™ll hold them to their word

1 Like

The committee said we had a good chance to be in the top 10 and probably around 5 or 6.

2 Likes

It is very convenient for the committee to say things after the facts. They are part of the cartel. Unless a G5 is invited I canā€™t think otherwise. I would love to but how can I?

5 Likes

Yes, the cartel is firmly in charge of the playoffs and $$$.

It is far more likely that the Palestinians & their Arab neighbors will declare peace with Israel and cease all hostilities than a non P-5 (including UH) will ever get invited to participate in the current 4 team playoff.

1 Like

Ok, and which NCAA recognized organization has crowned UCF?

Things have changed, the P5 and the networks have a lot invested in the playoffs and make millions. Neither will want to see another organization crowning national champions.

Of course that does not mean that another organization cannot crown its own national champions. But that is where lies the trap, do G5 conferences really want another organization crowing the best G5 team as national champion?

No P5 team will ever claim a national championship outside the playoffs in the future.

The only realistic P5 hope for UCF, like every other G5 program is the Big 12. And I doubt the Big 12 will look kindly upon being known as ā€œHome of self-proclaimed National Champions!ā€.

P5 will never accept or recognize UCF as the legitimate national champion, and by and large the most important media players will support the P5 position. Both have too much to lose otherwise!

Bingo - I think this whole mess is going to end up in court. ESPN has shown they will not ā€˜giveā€™ by killing B12 expansion. Texas so-caled P5 schools have zero interest in us joining a so-called power conference, in fact, many many schools feel the same. My hopes are slim that the AAC can negotiate anything near $ that those conferences get therefore further marginalizing us.

I donā€™t think there will be any other choice.