UConn Big East

Looks like UConn is leaving the AAC

1 Like

Don’t let the door hit you on your way out…How does this affect AAC contract???

4 Likes

Good question…

2 Likes

It won’t. As of now, there’s be more money to split unless the conference adds a replacement.

4 Likes

Although they went about it pouting the whole time I understand the move. Hurts AAC some but probably best to get this move over now. Only question is will Temple start looking around based on geography?

1 Like

@JonRothstein 30min.
UConn’s expected departure to the Big East coupled with Mick Cronin’s decision to leave Cincinnati for UCLA sets up a critical period for the American Conference in men’s basketball. League had gotten incrementally better over the past few seasons. Will now likely have to reboot.

3 Likes

Football future unclear? You gotta be kidding me! GTFO! lol

4 Likes

UCONN believes that they are more important than they are. While their basketball programs are good, their football program is a stain on the landscape at this point in time.

However, this makes sense for both sides. UCONN never really fit and are on an island where they are at. They’ll be better off in the Big East, but they really should drop down to FCS. Maybe the MAC will accept them in football, otherwise, they’ll have to try to be independent.

The American will be better off as they can add a program that wants to be in the conference and might be just as good in the money sports. Doubt that Temple leaves, Big East already booted them once and they value their football program much more than UCONN does theirs. They are also 217 miles from Hartford so they weren’t exactly close. Add a program like VCU that’s closer to them and they should be fine.

4 Likes

Good points! UConn whining about everything has been a constant theme the last few years. Glad we have an administration that is pushing full steam ahead.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/C_Austin_Cox/status/1142474880757223424

6 Likes

AAC better make a push for a really good either established football school or one they feel is up and coming with a big TV market.

IE SDSU, BYU, even a UTSA…we have a enough private schools, TU, Tulane, SMU, etc.

Well…bye.

UConn offers nothing in football, and it’s a declining brand in basketball.

Take their exit money, and look for a replacement while we continue our own search for P5.

3 Likes

Let’s replace them with Gonzaga!! Gotta dream big!

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1142496291425062915

2 Likes

No UTSA! Wanna be school!

2 Likes

Said it better than I could. I get why they want this move to happen. The only reason for them to stay in the AAC would be football, a sport they have minimal history in and have mightily struggled to be even remotely competitive in against this league.

I think a majority (or at least, a plurality) of their fan base would even be okay dropping to FCS for football.

1 Like

Unless they become the University of San Antonio with no UT affiliation.

Dream big? You do know where Gonzaga is right?

UCONN leaving costs us a WBB powerhouse, but I don’t see much else that we lose overall. I think MBB is on the upswing as I feel Hurley will do a good job.

Personally, I would like to see a Colorado school, CSU or AFA. That and move the chop blockers (Navy) to the East Division. A BYU/VCU marriage might not be too bad. BYU gets access to a conference and bowls, VCU gains access to a better conference. They (VCU) are no where near being ready to compete at the FBS level nor even Div II based on what I saw.

Wichita State doens’t appear ready to revive their FB program and even if it does, it will takes years to be ready at the FBS level.

Maybe a Southern Miss? I would have preferred them over Tulsa or Tulane anyway.

1 Like

Why do we have to add anyone? I don’t see the need to rush. Don’t want another Tulsa/Tulane/smoo.

5 Likes

Get Boise State to join