UConn Big East

Agree. Tulsa, Tulane and even ECU were big mistakes. Panic moves.

2 Likes

They will need a partner

ECU always had fans, I don’t think that was as bad a move. Tulsa and Tulane
bad moves. Southern Miss should have been added and it pains me that they were left behind. Marshall, would have been better than Tulsa or Tulane, but AAC was looking at New Orleans. Tulsa was definitely a mystery

I’m sort of leaning towards this. Don’t have to add anyone and then the money leftover is split between the remaining schools. They still need to add one basketball school (VCU) to even out the schedules for other sports, but that still leaves a lot of money for everyone else.

Do that, switch to a 9 game schedule (play everyone but one team), lose divisions and have the two top teams play each other in football for the championship.

2 Likes

BYU and SDSU would on an island out west so I wouldn’t like that. What about Marshall or Ohio? They’re as good as UTSA.

2 Likes

No to any and every UT school. Southern Miss before UTSA , UTEP, UT Pan Am
no UT or AM schools

3 Likes

I’m of the opinion to split the pie between less members. Don’t grow this conference with placeholders. If it’s not Air Force or BYU then it it weakens the brand.

3 Likes

Give me either BYU, or the combo of VCU basketball and Army football.

This CoogLawyer agrees with the other CoogLawyer.

BYU for all sports, OR Army for football and either VCU or Dayton for other sports.

2 Likes

USA! USA! USA!

2 Likes

To heck with CUSA, the Sun Belt, and the MAC.

They’re not worthy of OUR conference.

2 Likes

UConn didn’t have a partner and Boise State has a better basketball program these days

Give me nobody
period.

5 Likes

They were already in the original Big East
where Syracuse once was.(They were left behind)
we were invited with SMU and others.

Army cannot be added due to the conflict with The Army-Navy game. Last December it was played after our Conference Title Game.

I do not see any good choices other than BYU and I do not believe that The BYU Cougars will give up their Independent TV deal.

No one adds eyeballs to our TV contract. Ohio? Marshall? UAB? S. Miss? Zero appeal.

Replacing UConn in Basketball is not so tough. But Football is very tough.

Honestly I do not see any good choices. Only CUSA and The MWC offer candidates.

1 Like

Be careful what you ask for. BYU is UT Lite
with similar expectations.

3 Likes

That’s what their reputation is for sure. Mormon longhorns

1 Like

Article from Hartford
a little UCONN slanted as expected, but pretty fair.

It is funny that they lump BYU into a group of schools that doesn’t have an athletic tradition.

UConn’s athletic department was already in a difficult position financially, with a $41 million gap between revenues and expenses in 2018, and this move won’t help, at least in the short term. Not only will the school pay an exit fee to the AAC and an entrance fee to the Big East, but it will also receive less television revenue than it would have in the AAC and won’t likely see a full cut of conference distribution cash for several years. Increased attendance and decreased travel costs could eventually help, but UConn’s financial system figures to get worse before it can get any better.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1142496291425062915

1 Like

If UConn drops football, or drops in from D1, it will save a bunch of money and could operate on the basketball income. Football is a major drag on their budget.

2 Likes