UH center fielder Grayson Padgett keeps cousin's memory alive

As he rounded the bases, University of Houston center fielder Grayson Padgett touched his right hand to his mouth and pointed to the sky.

“That’s for my cousin,” Padgett said Sunday after his walk-off home run enabled the Cougars to sweep a pivotal three-game series against Wichita State.

“That’s for Blain.”

Only 21 years old, Blain Padgett, a senior defensive end at Rice, was found dead in his apartment March 2. Grayson Padgett found out the news later that night when he was pulled from a game at Minute Maid Park.

“I’m playing this season for him,” said Padgett, choking back emotions. “I’m living my life for him. It feels good that I could make him proud. I know he’s smiling down on me right now.”

I believe that this is the young man who so many were critical of for his demonstration after the walk off.

The bat flip was the main point of contention, right?

Yes, just a stupid controversy. Kid just hit a walk-off in a hard fought game and at no point showed up the other team with what he did. If they had been upset, they could have retaliated in the 2nd game, but didn’t.

1 Like

Kudos to Duarte for doing a timely article to give people some perspective.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1001841687860334592

ICYMI: Got a chance to share Grayson Padgett 's story of playing the season with Houston Cougar Baseball through the tragic passing of his cousin, Blain Padgett (who was a DL on Rice Football ). I appreciate Grayson sharing his emotions with me. This aired on KPRC2 / Click2Houston Sports Sunday last night.

Story on Padgett’s cousin who passed away last year. Coincidentally, Blain hurt his shoulder in the UH game at TDECU that year that led to him eventually turning to the drug that killed him. His seller is currently in federal custody as they grabbed him prior to his trial.